It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else listen to them...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This thread doesn't serve much purpose. Im just curious if anyone on ATS listens to Type O Negative.

This is a great live performance. I started listening to this band in 8th/9th grade (4 years ago) when my brother introduced me to 4 of their songs. I loved them from the start. Then I forgot about them for a few years, and just started listening to them last July after I learned Pete died. This was the video that got me hooked again.

I love The Doors and in my weird opinion I think they were more like a modern day Doors. Not that they sound the same, but they went out and created something totally different. They created a sound which has not been replicated, and I don't think ever will be. Their sound is distinctive.

Besides the main subject, feel free to post some of your favorite bands that you love.
edit on 29-4-2011 by FPB214 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FPB214

I really haven't listened to Type O for awhile, but I started out with Bloody Kisses and ended up with their entire collection. There are aspects of their music that I REALLY enjoy...and others that I really dislike. The sound is great, but some of the subject matter starts annoying me.

If you've never listened to them, you should check out Devil Doll (NOT the jazz-type - two bands with this name). I can't really say they're like anything else I've ever heard...it's the odd kind of thing that appeals to me.

The Sacrilege of Fatal Arms:

Just because their level of high strangeness never ceases to impress me, here's some interesting information about some of their albums:

The first work of Devil Doll was The Mark of the Beast, recorded in Tivoli Studios, Ljubljana in the last half of 1987. Amongst the sound technicians were Jurij Toni (most known for working with Laibach), who would work with the band for the next ten years. The Mark of the Beast was finished, and a single copy pressed, in February 1988. The cover to the album was painted by Mr. Doctor himself, who keeps the album in his home to this day. No other copies exist: "This is a painting, not a graphic work". A few passages from the album, however, are said to make "cameos" in future Devil Doll albums.

Later the same year, work on a second composition began. This work, entitled The Girl Who Was... Death, was inspired by the 1967 British television series The Prisoner. 500 copies of the album were originally pressed, in the beginning of 1989, of which only 150 were released. These were distributed out amongst the audience of the second live performance of the composition (the first had occurred before the pressing of the album), each with a unique inlay created by Mr. Doctor. Some of these inlays were written in his own blood. The remaining 350 copies of the album were destroyed by Mr. Doctor once he returned home.

Otherwise throw me some Rise Against, Avenged Sevenfold, and Bad Religion and I'm good for awhile.
edit on 4/29/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Yes I've been a fan of Type O Negative for a long time. A friend of mine back in the 90s lol said one night while we was practicing we should play this to and he started playing Black No. 1 I thought it was really cool and I been a fan every sense.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

I know what you mean by some of the subject matter. Many songs Pete wrote the lyrics are fantastic and deep, others are more straightforward, but still put together well. I could list so many different lyrics, but one off the top of my head is:

"Periodic tableware
Psychotropic science fare
But who will save the sane?
Some beings just can't change
Now crawl on by
A fake tear in your eye
And think isn't he strange
Pseudogasmic chemistry
Necromorphic apathy
Now crawl on by
A fake tear in your eye
Physical laws unapplied Hamper my quest
Unsurreal world of unfailed HIV tests
Der ubermensch warning of pi techno junkies - 3.141592653
Come on boy
Tell me
Tell me
Tentative ambulance date bound for G ward
Bear trap psychiatrist bait chew my paw off
Unmercilessly we will take you away to slumber
But only if you can recite avogadro's number
Come on boy
Tell me
Tell me
Now crawl on by
A fake tear in your eye
"

also

"Nettie"=Mother

"Nettie, no need to cry
Let me wipe those tear drops from your eyes
In the dark bathed in Cathode ray blue
Miss Red Hook of 1922
Weeping silently for the pain of others
Every night a tearful rosary
A victim of the curse of empathy
Her reward for compassion is to suffer
Nettie, no need to cry
My shortcomings I know caused her grief
Still she loves me. This I can't believe!
Responding not with anger but a prayer
Heaven's just Southwest of Cobble Hill
True, I am the son of an Angel
Maternally, not one woman compares
Nettie, no need to cry
If you fall, I will catch you
When you're lost, I'll be there soon
Far away, but of course near
When you're sad, I'm always here
Thank you for saving me from myself
Your compassion became its own hell
Unequivocally beautiful inside and out
Without a doubt
Nettie, no need to cry
Let me wipe those tear drops from your eyes"

I just love his writing abilities. Many are beautiful, some are about the simplest things, but always well put together.

As for the band you listed, I actually took a listen up to about 10 minutes. I can't believe it goes on for over an hour, never listend to anything like it. The band is different, and has a weird/interesting mix to it. The piano is beautiful. At a few parts, for some reason the vocals sound a tiny bit like the lead singer of Cradle Of Filth, not that I even listen to them anymore, but it has that "whispering" to it that sounds dark. Either way, very different bands that both hold their own against the mainstream.

I also agree with you, the music itself, regardless of lyrics, is a big part that captures me. I love playing the guitar to the songs.

Thank for the reply.

edit on 30-4-2011 by FPB214 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

Right on man. Do you still play, and if so what instrument did/do you play?

Black No.1 is definitely a good song, it's one of the more well known songs but it's a badass song.

Thanks for the reply

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I must be getting old and out of touch, I'm shocked, I had no idea Peter Steele died. That sucks.

Anyway, I first met with Type O in 1996 at a show, seeing Pete for the first time was intimidating. Guy's huge! I remember them having to stop the show because the crowd was pushing so hard on the stage that they thought it might collapse. Peter said, "Uh, guys, personally I don't give a f#, I can handle it." I was hooked on their music after that. A real unique band, and me being a metal head, it was one of few bands that girlfriends would actually consent to listen to with me.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FPB214
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

Right on man. Do you still play, and if so what instrument did/do you play?

Black No.1 is definitely a good song, it's one of the more well known songs but it's a badass song.

Thanks for the reply

Yeah I still play but not that much any more. My daughters bf came over last week end and we jammed out it was to cool. I play bass but I also love to play six string with some killer crunch on it lol

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
You guys ever hear of Carnivore?
It's Peter's band from the late 80's

Getcha pull off this:

Live at Waken 2006: (typo intro)

edit on 30-4-2011 by illuminatitanimulli because: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I listen from time to time. Have seen the band in cocnert in the 90s. I'm esp. still saddened for Peter 's passing away.
edit on 1-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

So am I. The song that got me back into Type O was the In Praise of bacchus video. I;ts fantastic, and makes me think of how great, and artistic this band was.

Type O

Great band, literally one of the best since The Doors in my opinion. Aside from beautiful classical music.

new topics

top topics

join