It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emoticons (smileys) question/small request

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I am noticing a trend, this is the second post in a row I have made in this forum over a two day period. I seemingly have a bite of inquisitiveness when I wake up in the morning

On that note and in regards to the OP title. When I am authoring a thread or replying to a post and I am going back through on occasion proofing what I wrote I often notice points where I would like to add emphasis via the wonderful smileys up & over there > I click it, and you would think I would have learned by now, but alas every time I have to go all the way to the bottom and C&P it or just see the code and then add it to the respective position in the post.

Occasionally I add the emphasis at the point it was intended whilst at that particular point, but there are plenty of times where the aforementioned applies. However, when you click a smiley, by default it populates at the bottom most point of the section you're writing in as opposed to populating where the cursor is flashing. Why does it do this? question portion

Is there a way to have it populate where the cursor is active and not at the last available field in the thread? or... Have a mouse-over added that would at least reveal the "text string" portion? small request portion

On a side note, and to assure those that will reply with such. I know, I should be authoring these in my own text editor and then transferring them over to "this" box, but I don't for whatever reason. As well, I know I could just memorize the "text string" of each emoticon and I would not have this issue. None the less, if only as a path of least resistance, is the aforementioned request at all a possibility? Yes I am aware that "path of least resistance" is a.k.a. "laziness" ...be that as it may, the request still stands.
Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,
UberL33t

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
i think those get inserted automattically at the very end of where the cursor's last point was.

if you type a sentence and hit the return key and then place the cursor back to another point, the icon gets inserted at the end point not necessarilly where the cursor is.

try typing and hit the space key a couple of times.....then insert the icon.

as long as you don't start a new line, the icon goes right where the cursor is.

i just tried that here and it worked

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I'll have to try that ...actually let me test it ..so I want there to be a smiley here < *&$# > but I am going to keep typing as though I was actually doing so for purpose.

Now I will continue here and pretend I am done. This is the point I would proof the thread and add emotes where I felt emphasis was needed. So I am going to go back up to the spot and try and insert the smiley per your advise and add spaces and a few characters for good measure. The cursors last position, will be at this > period.

Yet still, the emote ended up at the cursors last point. So either I didn't read your instructions correctly, or it just doesn't work for me. I would really love a (over) tag for those smileys

edit on 4/29/2011 by UberL33t because:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
it may not be possible.

see if a Mod can answer.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
the only other way is manually.

type your sentence and insert the desired face later.

place cursor after the word "the" by typing the ":" followed by its name "lol" and then ":"

keep a list of all the symbol's

this example ":" "livid" ":" is this

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

If you want a list of how to make all those smileys and how to do all kinds of neat effects in your threads, you need to bookmark this thread by Loam:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Be sure to give him a S&F while you're there, he put a lot of hard work into that one.

new topics

top topics

join