It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorists buying guns? yep, and doing it legally.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

The 247 people who were allowed to buy weapons did so after going through required background checks as required by federal law. It is not illegal for people listed on the government's terror watch list to buy weapons. For years, that has bothered Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., who is trying again to change the law to keep weapons out of the hands of terrorists. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

I usually am against democrats lobbying against gun rights in any way, but how is it even an issue that after a background check, a known terrorist (or someone on the watch list) is able to buy a gun legally? It makes no sense that anyone would leave a loophole there, should one exist.

I feel any citizen that can legally own a gun and wants to should. But by the same token, a criminal should not.

The problem seems to be with the system that does the background checks. Where it failed should be investigated.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The problem is many innocent people are on this "watch list". The people who give the TSA any lip at the airport are probably on it too.

Deebo

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

Indeed. There are 7 years old kids on the watch list. I don't want to see them lose their rights before they're even old enough to exercise them.

edit on 29-4-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
People on the "watch list" haven't necessarily committed a crime... thus they can buy a gun....

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Anyone wearing a watch seems to be on that list. Time is ticking for freedom and the clock is ticking a tune that is as old as ....

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Here's why it's a non-issue, so Mr. Lautenberg you can stop your grandstanding now.:

Between February 2004 and December 2010, 1,453 people on the terror watch list have attempted to buy firearms or explosives. Of those, 90 percent of the people were allowed to go through with their purchases. There is no public information about anyone on the watch list who was allowed to buy a firearm using it in a crime. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Bolding mine for emphasis.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
US Constitution

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

NC Constitution

Sec. 30. Militia and the right to bear arms. A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; and, as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained, and the military shall be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice.

Neither of these documents allow that someone compile a "list" that keeps me from owning firearms. While my State Constitution does regulate my ability to carry concealed...it does NOT allow for any governmental "law" to keep me from possessing a firearm regardless of some ridiculous list that some bureaucratic entity may compile.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. The term terrorist has become trite due to its overuse. The only boogey men I worry about are those wearing Alphabet letters from the criminal government that occupies this nation.
edit on 28-4-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

yeah... The ACLU has the number of people on that list at well over a million... damn, maybe we need to use all them drones over here!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Here's why it's a non-issue, so Mr. Lautenberg you can stop your grandstanding now.:

Between February 2004 and December 2010, 1,453 people on the terror watch list have attempted to buy firearms or explosives. Of those, 90 percent of the people were allowed to go through with their purchases. There is no public information about anyone on the watch list who was allowed to buy a firearm using it in a crime. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Bolding mine for emphasis.

I could not have said it better. So many people are guilty of only reading headlines and or just scanning the story.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Just remember Ted Kenedy was stopped at an airport because his name matched someone's on the list. Now remember, despite his various shenanigans, he was never convicted of any crime and was a US Senator with a Top Secret clearance.

If they can make that mistake, what might they make of us?
edit on 29-4-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join