It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart: Our shoppers are 'running out of money'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by korath

YES, you make a very, very good point, but given this threat, wouldn't they give US employee's more than nothing .: In this case is the NWO model genuinely not good??

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Do you really think it is accidental and unplanned?
second

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

But, but. . . the economy is improving and things are getting better. (sarc)

I honestly don't see HOW this dministration can continue down this road. They are deliberately trying to ruin this country!!!

I blame the monkeys. Not the band, although they suck, but the monkeys at zoos. They make all the REAL decisions. And congress. But not the Republicans. Just the Democrats. i blame them at every turn, even on threads that have little to do with partisan blame.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

I blame the monkeys. Not the band, although they suck, but the monkeys at zoos. They make all the REAL decisions. And congress. But not the Republicans. Just the Democrats. i blame them at every turn, even on threads that have little to do with partisan blame.

The sad reality Both Republicans and Democrats are just mere puppets on strings, the Donkey or Rhino parties are nothing more then a show for brainwashed people who dont know whats really going and whose really controlling us.

The sames goes for all parties in Canada and the EU been controlled by Washington & elites.
edit on 28-4-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I am always hearing people go on about how Wal-Mart is about cheap chinese stuff. I really don't see it. They seem to sell the same exact stuff every other retailer sells just a little cheaper. The same TV's, the same DVD/Blueray players, the same CD's and DVD's, the same wranglers, the same fishing poles and reels, the same types of oil, the same brands of cookware, the same batteries, the same frozen pizzas, the same candy, the same shampoo, the same tools and so on. What exactly is Wal-Mart selling that all the others are not? Target has the same stuff, K-Mart has the same stuff, BestBuy has the same stuff, ShopKo has the same stuff ect...

As for the whole slave labor thing, everyone that works for Wal-Mart made the choice to work there. If they do not like it they are free to quit. If they can't find another job then maybe they have it better than they thought there.. Wal-Mart employs 1.4 MILLION people in the USA alone. What would all those people be doing if Wal-Mart shut down tomorrow?

Wal-Mart is allowed to exist because people like to go there. It caters to what people want. If people didn't like what they got there Wal-Mart would not be as big as it is. Simple as that. If you want to boycott Wal-Mart then fine, but you just aswell boycott Costco, BestBuy, Target and any other large retailer as they all strive for the samething Wal-Mart does. Right now Wal-Mart is just doing it better then the rest.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jaydeePNW

you are correct!!! i dont go to walmart because it gives me a bad feeling.
so i go to another chain store which offers the same stuff but has better vibes!!
i know..sounds wierd but it true

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This is so funny. Wal Mart is concerned about the shopper's money and not the shopper. Thank you for letting me know this Wal Mart, I won't be shopping there any longer. If you don't care about me then I'm not going to care about your business)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The transition back to a production-based economy is going to be a rough one. And, I would speculate that a return to an industrial model of production is unfeasible. My advice: learn a useful skill, and learn to produce your own food.

I have a buddy who has been black-smithing since age 16, and who recently went to study with the Amish. Evidently they're the only ones around who still know how to make a horse-drawn cart.

So, that solves our gas problems, then.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jaydeePNW

You should read this article. It is great insight to how Wal-Mart essentially beats manufacturer's down to the lowest possible price point and pays manufacturer's for an inferior version of their product.

Honestly, as others have mentioned here already, this should be no surprise to anyone. A shrinking middle class, other low cost outfits beating Wal Mart at their own game and a change in their own business model has meant this very scenario was basically inevitable. Not to mention the current corporate (and not just Wal Mart) mindset that places short term profits way, way to high on the priority scale.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I specifically shop at Walmart when we have a Target right across the street. I do this because although I am not at the end of my financial rope yet, I am preparing myself for when we all are in the same boat with where we have to shop and frankly it is just entertaining. Anything I can possibly make or buy locally I do but unless someone in town makes tp and toothpaste I have to rely on my local Chinese storefront. As the Chinese and the rest of the world begin to wake up that America is really suckling on thier teets with what we have done, I have a feeling all of our cheap imports will be done. Also, I think the dollar will just plain collapse before that so it won't really matter. With what is going on I would be saving silver or gold like mad...not to buy food with but to get out of the country when TSHTF. You think other countries riot when there is no food available that they can afford? We havent seen anything when that actually happens here with the people we have and the standards they have become accustomed to. Plus - they will have guns and ammo.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Well looks like the disregard for the poor and working class is trickling up. So much for trickle down economics.

Americas greed has come to a head. People rationalizing laissez fairs econmics, people supporting nimby policies, local towns creating housing zones that let only single family homes be built, and all our environmental restrictions have come to a head.

I am American but I have always voted for pro-poor/working class policies. I was one of the only ones. I failed as I did little besides vote and argue on the net.

I hope that Americans start to realize that what's best for the worst off in society is good for us all. Money flows up.

So often I hear about welfare babies, unions bleeding corps., how using a home as an atm, and how free trade are good for us. This was all wrong.

All republican policies have hurt small business. Removing tariffs, opening US contracts to foreign companies etc. have had the opposite effect.

Foreign companies can sell their goods here even when those goods are heavily subsized by the home country without little to no import tax, while our small businesses have to compete without those subsidies.

Big corporations can move their operations there and move goods here easily and more cheaply. I wont even go into China coercing our megacorps to give up technology to them.

Democrats are no better by letting unions fall into corruption, creating policies that drive up land prices and more.

When all Americans learn once again that Robin Hood was not a bad guy and policies that help the small guy are best, then we can turn it around.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I want so bad to say this is poetic justice, but in all reality from an economic standpoint anyone could figure out this was going to happen. Unemployment in America is almost at 46%, because of the outsourcing, the large amount stolen from citizens through corporate ponzi schmes, and the hoarding of the "tax breaks" for the top percentile. The thing I wonder about is Wally world is like the finger of the hand of the same entity profiting from all of the above and the trend of globalization, why would they cut that off, even for a second?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Anon, couldn't agree more with what you are saying.

I thought this was going to happen in this country, it's like a catch-22 for the wealthy and greedy. They want more and more wealth and are getting their way but the problem is by soaking up more of the wealth there is no money left for the majority (ie, most of the consumers who buy crap at Walmart), especially with diminishing wages for most.

People need to stop voting against their own best interests. Don't buy into the "one day you can be rich, too" BS that most politicians and corporations tell you. Luck and "who you know" play bigger roles in deciding who is legitimately wealthy more than simply working hard. It's like winning the lottery. Look out for people who are in the same boat as you instead of voting for the best interests of the few.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Went to Wal-Mart last night for an item. I usually never go to china mart. Then when I was there I remembered why. Four checkout stands for a 20-acre store, WTF.
After hopping from one check out stand to the next, all 3 of them. Finely made it to the 4th lane that did not have the dreaded sign “lane closed”. So I waited, and waited, just before I was about to the throw the item into the gum rack and leave. It was my turn. It took me 5 minutes to get the item, 30 minuets to check out.

Cash declines are not the only crises Wal-Marts needs to worry about. There is a multitude of other reasons that has lead to end of month cash declines. ( Like the one stated above) Gas is not one of them, as the board would like to believe. Wal-Mart will never see the customers that Sears has. (That is the market they tried to capitalize on) Wal-Marts biggest problem is there bottom line is based on welfare checks. Hence end of month cash declines.

Some of there customers have left the country, or have been forced to leave. I mean look at what Arizona did all by itself, ( that had to hurt ) followed by other states. The new uptake would be trying to market to the unemployed. (which they also had a hand in creating i.e. China-Mart) Now the new recent market is mostly unemployed for them how will Wal-mart get their business? Hard chance I say, most of the recent and past unemployed are buying local if they can, and growing gardens now. Wal-mart will fail in getting most of this market in the front door, no matter what they try. The big Wal-mart expansion with 20 acre stores happened during 01-06. There still expanding, only to find empty pockets now. The economy wrench has been thrown into their cog model business plan; it will hurt them greatly in the coming month. This is only the beginning, It stands to reason what expanded must deflate. i.e. closing stores. When they do It’s not like were going to miss them or anything like that. I expect to see a parade in front, starting at their front door. Then again our economy is rebounding by a whopping 1.8 percent. Wal-Mart is also going to face many states that will be asking for TAXES, yes, income taxes based on sales. That does not mean sales tax either, this will be in addition too. State legislators are thinking hard, because the revenue is needed and consumer are more than tapped out.

There is a glitter of hope. There are mom pop operations starting up again. A local butcher shop re-opened. A new bakery is baking up the goods. Get this I just seen a shoe repair shop open. I kid you guys not, I have not seen one in years. Yes it’s happening slowly, but it happening. Forgot to mention two local owned restaurants opened as well, not chained either. Oh, and this electronic shop opened up a few months ago that makes radio shack look really bad. I will patron each and everyone of these new business. The city where I live is pumping some cash into rebuilding RT-66 development. Things are looking up, Slowly the trend will turn from wal-mart.

I must say that was my final and last visit to Wal-Mart last night. I hope they fail big time. see you all at the parades to come.

edit on 29-4-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Yea well Walmart Can't really complain about that look their revenues are massive i'm sure they'll be fine since their revenue is the largest in the world

en.wikipedia.org...

They even out revenue the big six Oil Companies. Wal-mart Shouldn't be worried

We should be worried the customers.

Main Street got sold out For Wall Street the Bankers got the Bail outs and now were all hurting and broke and can't afford to pay the bills.
edit on 29-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

Radio Shack used to have the largest cash reserves of any company in the world, up until mid 1975 to1980's They were cash rich, not on paper either. Yes ,they also out done big oil for many years just look what happened to them during the carter years. ( much like today) I Had to wright a paper on them in college. Oh ! and Mitsubishi ( makers of the famed (Zero) , gosh that was a big paper weeks of work and research. sort of along the same line as Radio shack. they to got hit big in the the late 1980's with the Japanese banking crises, again much like today. Then theirs IBM. Nothing is set in stone with these big corporations. there is always a down size, and when it comes it's usually a big down size at that. If your in your 20's you haven't seen anything yet, when entire markets are turned on end. There will be a day coming again soon where you will pump gas according to your license plate number on cretin days of the week. Wal-Mart is just the tip of the iceburg.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I live in a small town in Missouri, and WalMart is basically our only local choice when it comes to shopping for most things. I've personally noticed since sometime last year that I run out of money faster DUE to WalMart. I don't mean that as a joke. The prices in our super center have shy rocketed in almost every department.
edit on 29-4-2011 by CuriousR because: Word change.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
I find this quite ominous. Wal-mart is the biggest retail establishment in the US&C economies. It is a bellweather for the financial well-being of the poor and middle income brackets. The fact that they are seeing EOM drop offs is not a sign of a recovery, it is the sign of continuing decay, in my opinion..

I agree with your post.

A bellwether (correct spelling) is a sheep that wears the bell that the other sheep follow. An obscure bit of info unless you're in sheep country.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Well then...

Maybe Wal-mart can reach into it's Wal-let and convince the legislature to tax the rich and lower taxes on the poor.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

Originally posted by thorazineshuffle
reply to post by liejunkie01

Where do you find gallon of milk for 3 dollars? It is 5 dollars here, north Carolina.

Five dollars for milk? It was $3 a few years ago in the Dallas/Fort Worth area but now I can usually get it for $1.99 a gallon.

Its $3 for a half gallon here in some stores.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join