It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoardings across India: worry over the world ending in 25 days

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Here's the story Kashmir Examiner

Weeks after a preacher from Oakland, California, US, predicted the end of the world on May 21, 2011, hoardings have cropped up overnight across India warning the people about same.

So far, the hoardings have been detected at public places in Etah and Pilibhit in Uttar Pradesh, Bhubaneswar in Orissa, and Betul in Madhya Pradesh.

The authorities in the respective cities have no idea as to when the hoardings were put up and by whom.

Last month, reports have quoted preacher Harold Camping as saying that the world will precisely come to an end at about 6.00 pm on the said date.

He reckoned that two percent of the world's population will be immediately "raptured" to Heaven, while the rest of us will be sent straight to the Other Place.

Camping, an 89-year-old former civil engineer, has been spreading his Doomsday predictions via the Family Radio Network, a religious broadcasting organisation funded entirely by donations from listeners.

So this preacher After 70 years of studying the Bible, he claims to have developed a system that uses mathematics to interpret prophesies hidden in it. He says the world will end on May 21, because that will be 722,500 days from 1 April AD33, which he believes was the day of the Crucifixion.He got the figure of 722,500 by multiplying three holy numbers (five, 10 and 17) together twice.(S0 he says...)

Now I dont know how the people in India got a hold of this prediction but they did and apparently they now have a hording problem, scared folks clearing out the store shelves as it were... we'll we have 25 more days to see if he's right????

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

That's the form of math he used? Jeez, I was under the impression he went the simple route and just did the classic Israel being established in 1948 + 70 years for a generation, ending up in 2018, and subtracting 7 years of tribulation for Christians. But, you know, whatever makes him sound smart.

Anyways, this is going to be bad. I know nothing is going to happen on May 21st, at least, not the Rapture, and I'm a Christian.

Sigh.. I know people are going to be blaming ALL Christians collectively once nothing happens that day. "Oh, you're a Christian? LMAO! Nothing happened on May 21st, you're wrong, you're wrong, la-de-da-de-da! Where's your God now?"

Oh for fug's sake.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
In 26 days, I'll be shaking my head and eagerly awaiting the next prediction for the end of the world to be added to the list of the hundreds of failed predictions. It's almost entertaining.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The guy was wrong when he predicted the end times in 1994 and he's going to be wrong again. I think he's a sham.

link   
Nothing wrong with being prepared for a disaster I suppose. Hopefully the foodstuffs they are hoarding are non-perishable and will last longer than 25 days.

Makes me wonder...not many Indians must be on ATS, it would be sheer pandemonium if they take such doomsday predictions so seriously!

link   
Men have been trying to use a biblical mathematical formula to come up with the end times date for centuries... 1847, 1872, 1914, 1917 etc etc etc... If they would just read the bible it clearly states only God knows the exact time... if there is one anyways....

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

ya know, he's not the first to predict the end of the world, nor will he be the last...
but what confounding is why the folks in India... quite far from Oakland CA...
are taking this so very seriously as to make runs on their stores?????

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
ATS should keep a runny tally on the number of predictions for doomsday events and how many happen as forecasted....and how many DON"T.

Kind of like the billboard with how many billions we spend a day. It would just keep on spinning...like a good set rims.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Why are they stocking up on supplies if the world is going to end.

No, but really.

Also, I'd like to be informed of the inexplicable reason why some folks in India are scrambling over this, while I haven't heard anything about it, even here on ATS.
edit on 27-4-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Now you got me scratching my head...
do we still call people from India Indians???
or do we call them Hindus????

Maybe one of our members can enlighten me???

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

i have to pass my exams on june and you say endworld for 21 ? It's not usefull to repass my lessons

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by Lionhearte

ya know, he's not the first to predict the end of the world, nor will he be the last...
but what confounding is why the folks in India... quite far from Oakland CA...
are taking this so very seriously as to make runs on their stores?????

All I can figure is that people have just gone barking mad all over the world. Theyre always looking for the next shoe to drop and have gone nutty over it. People now are so dependent on their govts and someone to hand hold them, they have forgotten how to live like independent human beings with rational minds.

Besides, doom is great when you want to escape your responsibilities. Folks here speak of the financial collapse like armageddon with hand rubbing glee and speak of stopping paying their mortgages and bills.. and of course all running off to the hills with 75 LB BoBs and being kings of the dystopian landscape...

( sorry, had to get a shot in there)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Haha, well, I assume we call them Indians, makes more sense to me then calling the red-skinned folks here in the US Indians. Actually that's a pet-peeve of mine...some guy thinks he's in the West Indies, when he's really on a whole other continent and, as a result, a whole race of people get labelled as something they are not. ...off topic...anyhooo.....

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Well to call them "hindus" they'd kinda need to follow the hindu faith wouldn't they? It's like calling all whites christians, they have to follow the faith to be one.

i'm not sure what the PC term is, but they are from India, so they are Indian. Columbus really screwed the pooch when he found America and thought it was India, hence the native americans being called "indians"

Anyone from India care to enlighten us as to which term isn't a slur?

Anyways, I thought India was mostly Hindu, so i have no clue why they would put any faith in anything some random American preacher has to say about anything.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob
ATS should keep a runny tally on the number of predictions for doomsday events and how many happen as forecasted....and how many DON"T.

Kind of like the billboard with how many billions we spend a day. It would just keep on spinning...like a good set rims.

Do you really need ATS to advise you on how many doomsday predictions never took place? Ummm....

2nd

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Well not all of us are buying into this load of hogwash...
besides I'm an old fat man now, to out of shape to be toting a 75 pack around...
no sir not me... I'll be driving my Caravan

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

we'll we have 25 more days to see if he's right????

Umm, I don't think we'll have to wait that long..

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Well to call them "hindus" they'd kinda need to follow the hindu faith wouldn't they? It's like calling all whites christians, they have to follow the faith to be one.

i'm not sure what the PC term is, but they are from India, so they are Indian. Columbus really screwed the pooch when he found America and thought it was India, hence the native americans being called "indians"

Anyone from India care to enlighten us as to which term isn't a slur?

Anyways, I thought India was mostly Hindu, so i have no clue why they would put any faith in anything some random American preacher has to say about anything.

Indian is the correct term for someone coming from India. It is not racist or UN-PC to call them this. I am from England and I am English.

India has various religions including Christianity, Sikhism and Muslims. But, the prominent faith is Hindu.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I think you guys are misunderstanding the article, it isn't saying that the Indians are "hoarding", it says that "hoardings" are being posted warning of the same end date. Here's a quote from the article:

The authorities in the respective cities have no idea as to when the hoardings were put up and by whom.

I don't know what they mean by "hoardings", but I assume it's some kind of flyers being posted around town. It seems apparent that English is not the primary language of the person that wrote the article, and they're probably saying "hoarding" when they mean to say "flyers" or something. Strange that whoever posted these flyers in India is embracing the same date as some obscure wacko in California.

EDIT TO ADD: I Googled "hoardings" and turned up this definition off of Answers.com:

Q- What are hoardings?

A- Billboards, places where advertising posters are hung/displayed.

edit on 27-4-2011 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Why are they stocking up on supplies if the world is going to end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You all are cracking me up.

He is 89 and the senility is worsening.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join