It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC-8 Retro Photos of a Miracle Ditch - The Japan Air Lines miracle water landing of 1968

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
www.sfgate.com...

Just stumbled across some pretty good pics of a Dougals DC-8 that ditched SE of SF International back in 1968. Although this is an "ancient" airframe by now, it was, and still is a very attractive airframe for a large aircraft. Check out the photos and the story, apparently, some of the folks I believe it was 107 souls, didn't even get wet!

editby]edit on 25-4-2011 by CosmosKid because: Added Image Link

edit on 25-4-2011 by CosmosKid because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by CosmosKid because: Fixed links

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmosKid

Your image link doesn't work because of a carriage return before the close image tag, I deleted the return so it works in the quote.

That's one of the most amazing stories I've ever read! Thanks for sharing it.

I never heard of a water ditching that didn't do serious damage to a plane meant to land on land, but apparently that's the least damage to a ditched plane in history.

I suppose the damage was still severe since it was an 8 million dollar plane and it took 4 million to fix it.

That was really a one in a million shot to land on the reef like that and they expected the landing gear to be ripped off when they pulled the plane out of the water...but somehow the gear was intact.

I guess I can understand why the pilot committed suicide though, he did screw up badly, but at least nobody was killed or even injured, which is almost a miracle.

Amazing!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing this story into my/ our attention! I'm wondering which factors make such an event happen with a good ending (is it the plane, the "landing style" or weather conditions...)!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thank you kindly!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalbeck

Your Welcome! Think the whole story is about the plane. I think some in-animate objects have some property about then that makes them more "preferable" for "animate" objects to be around! Or it could be that I once flew into California from Hawaii on a DC-8 and went through thunderstorm or something that was so intense I felt you could see the fuselage "bending" from inside because of the turbulence! I mean, by the time we had gotten to the terminal there were pieces of aluminium hanging off the side of the tail and they had to "carry" the pilot off the plane but that plane like the one in the story got all us "animate" objects thru safe and sound!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Reminds me so much of that other miracle landing that happened on the Hudson River a few years ago.
The pilot was really regarded as a hero, given special medals I think....

new topics

top topics

join