It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Drills in Middle TN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
My daughter just informed me that there will be an earthquake drill on her campus tomorrow. In fact, it's area wide. All schools, hospitals, and factories are supposed to take part in the "Drop, Cover and Hold On". This is the first time we have ever had this type of exercise. No one knows exactly what time of day it will happen.

This isn't the TN site, but here is some info I found:

Drop, Cover and Hold On

In MOST situations, you will reduce your chance of injury if you: DROP down onto your hands and knees (before the earthquakes knocks you down). This position protects you from falling but allows you to still move if necessary. COVER your head and neck (and your entire body if possible) under a sturdy table or desk. If there is no shelter nearby, only then should you get down near an interior wall (or next to low-lying furniture that won't fall on you), and cover your head and neck with your arms and hands. HOLD ON to your shelter (or to your head and neck) until the shaking stops. Be prepared to move with your shelter if the shaking shifts it around.

(I guess it's better than "Stick your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye.")

We are about six hours east of Memphis, TN. There is a small fault in Knoxville, TN as well, which is about an hour and a half away from us, but it's never produced a large quake. Then there is the one in South Carolina that took out Charleston in 1886.

More information for those interested:

New Madrid Zone

ABC article on Little Known Fault Lines

East TN Earthquakes

Great Charleston Earthquake

Is anyone else having this drill tomorrow? Does anyone know if this is related to the big FEMA drill on the New Madrid. It's all over the radio today. It was surreal. We have tornado drills, but never had an earthquake drill. In fact, earthquakes are the farthest thing from people's minds in this area.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
How far of a drive is that from Atlanta? If they really fear an earthquake in that area would it effect us down here? Would we feel it?

p.s. I'm really proud of myself because I don't feel like a know it all, I feel like a learner. lol
edit on 25-4-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

My brother just emailed me that the highschool he teaches at is also participating. They will be doing the entire drill except for the evacuation. This is the first Earthquake Drill in his school history. Probably because there has never been an earthquake anywhere near the school in the past few hundred years, but now all of a sudden they are getting some within 100 miles or so?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

I think we are about three hours from Atlanta. I hate to think of the aquarium being damaged. I really love those whales and whale sharks.

There are also two nuclear plants about an hour and a half away from us. Oak Ridge, near Knoxville (aka Watts Bar) and Sequoyah (aka Soddy Daisy) near Chattanooga.

I know this probably won't allay your fears, but it's good to have the information.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I don't know if they'll do the evacuation here or not. We are 300 miles from Memphis. Sometimes it's like they're expecting the whole world to shake. It definitely is interesting.

I like your signature. Good advice.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

Yup information helps. I work 4 blocks from the aquarium and live 5 away from it. lol
I just wanna know what information these officials have that makes them want to schedule wide spread drills and in such a hasty manner. This is the first time I heard of these drills and it would make sense for them to plan these 6 months out. This is on the drop of a dime.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I live in KY and right now it's flood warnings until these storms are over but the military NASA,USCG(DoT),and USGS are constatly flying over the tennesee valley and the Ohio valley taking photo's in IR and UV and checking possible level movements of one cenemeter or more. They also may have found a fault near you that got a brief mention then off the air like the one near me.
There is a fault that runs from Hopkinsville,KY (or just south of it) to FT Campbell just below I-24 but that would put you in the Nashville range so other than that all I can say is if you live on land be prepared because you never know and those that do dont want you to find out.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I live outside of Nashville, and last week, my son and daughter let me know of the "earthquake drill" they are going to have at school... but had no idea when it was going to be. I assumed that it was in conjunction with the DHS "big shake out" preparedness drills in May, but also keep in the back of my mind it could be something more the General Public isn't aware of. I will definitely keep my ear to the ground.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by willie75

I found out that the college is holding the drills April 28, 2011. Not in May. So it is interesting.

We have those severe storms headed our way today and tomorrow. It's going to be a fun ride to say the least.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
St Louis is having earthquake drills Apr 28th. Called the "Great Shake Out".

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
found this, don't know if it's the same...

earthquake drills

also, i wonder if this is the same national drill the was being discussed in another thread? seems like it could be.. but the descriptions are a little different, oh well....

thread

new topics

top topics

join