It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about ISS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It's a bright night here in Belgium and I just saw the ISS move over for the first time. Our weatherman mentioned it was visible for five minutes and you couldn't miss the bright moving 'spot' going from west to north.
I figured I wasn't going to be able to tell the difference between the ISS and the stars, but wow... I was really surprised at how bright it is and how fast it moved! (quite an experience for an unexperienced star watcher like myself and my husband
)

anyway, I have a question,
does the ISS stay on it's course and it is visible in the same spot every night at the same time?
I'd like to film it if possible.

lol, I wonder how many will report seeing a ufo tonight, you just couldn't miss it in the sky!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

It will pass over a different area each time it orbits due to it's orbital inclination (51.6 degrees).

I use www.heavens-above.com... to see when it is visible over head.

And this is also handy:

iss.astroviewer.net...

edit on 25/4/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
No, it isn't visible in the same spot every night. The ISS is in a roughly circular orbit that takes about 91 minutes to make a complete rotation around the globe. At the same time, the Earth rotates underneath the ISS, at the rate of 1 rotation every 24 hours. Combined, that means the path the ISS takes, mapped onto the surface of the Earth, is constantly shifting.

Here's a great web site you can go to and plug in your location and see the next time it will be visible:

www.heavens-above.com...

Here's a link showing the next visible passes from Antwerp: List

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Thanks for those links guys,
seems like there's gonna be plenty of oppertunities to film if the sky stays clear the next days

new topics

top topics

join