It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yemeni president agrees to step down in 30 days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

SANAA, Yemen – Yemen's embattled president agreed Saturday to a proposal by Gulf Arab mediators to step down within 30 days and hand power to his deputy in exchange for immunity from prosecution, a major about-face for the autocratic leader who has ruled for 32 years.

A day earlier, protesters staged the largest of two months of demonstrations, filling a five-lane boulevard across the capital with a sea of hundreds of thousands of people. Day after day of protest have presented a stunning display of defiance in the face of a crackdown that has included sniper attacks and killed more than 130 people.

The uprising and a wave of defections by allies, including several top military commanders, have left Saleh clinging to power and now appear to be pushing him to compromise on his earlier refusal to leave office before his term ends in 2013.

Lindsey Williams did say "Yemen is next," and it sure looks like it. The only other nation that I could see kicking out their president before Yemen would be Syria.

Will the president stay in power for the next 30 days, or will the protesters kick him out before then? Im not sure. The protests have grown bigger and bigger everyday. The article says that yesterday, hundreds of thousands protested in the streets.

Another one down.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
So after the fall of the Syrian Government I believe the House of Saud will be next. They have bribe people to stop them from protesting but I don't think people will be happy for long

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I think the Saudis are going to be the last to fall in the line. From what Lindsey Williams said, it would go Yemen, Syria/Jordan, Bahrain, and then Saudi. I think that was the order but im not 100% sure.

Not sure how soon all of them will fall, but I would say Syria will fall pretty fast after, if not before, Yemen falls.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

What about the Palestinians? Will they start another Intifada against the Israelis?

In addition I believe Turkey might experience something similar

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I have no idea what the Palestinians are doing. I dont really know what will happen to the political climate of the region after a few more countries kick out their leaders. Things will change, but Im not really sure how they will change.

top topics

join