It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Greece Freeing Suspected Guerillas (Olympics)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Suspected terrorists from the group Revolutionary Popular Struggle (ELA) will be released prior to the Olympic games due to a Greek law which doesn't let them jail suspects for more than 18 months pending verdict. The group has been responsible for murders and attacks in Greece since the 1970's. Greece had hoped to wrap up the trials prior to the Olympics to prevent possible attacks during the games. A government official now says "They are released within the framework of Greek laws and the safeguarding of human rights. In no case will this issue affect the Olympics and the security of the Games."

www.alertnet.org
ATHENS, July 28 (Reuters) - Suspected members of Greece's oldest urban guerrilla group are being freed before the Olympic Games after a court ruled on Wednesday their trial would be suspended for most of August.

The five are accused of belonging to the left-wing Revolutionary Popular Struggle (ELA) which is blamed for murders, bombings and other attacks from the 1970s to 1990s.

They were arrested in early 2003, but under Greek laws suspects cannot be held for more than 18 months pending a verdict

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am shaking my head BIG time on this one, you have suspected terrorists in custody, you are getting ready to host the Olympics, and you can't find a way to make sure these five aren't even capable of participating in an attack. Lock & Load you Special Forces soldiers, this could be a trying few weeks.

[edit on 7/28/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
i always worry more about internal terrorism groups than i do Al-Qaeda.
Let's hope these are just the flag burning, property destroying type of guerillas, that shouldn't be too hard to contain.

join