It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I found gas for less than a dollar a gallon... so why so expensive in the USA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
See for yourself how cheap gas is: www.dubaifaqs.com...

Prices are for 95-octane gasoline, or "Special" as it's called at the pump.
As of August 2010, petrol price in Oman for "Special" is about AED 1.14 per liter (US$0.31) which means residents in Al Ain and Hatta can travel to nearby Oman petrol stations (Al Maha, BP, Shell) for a cheaper tank of gas.

It states the price of high octane gas is only $1.97 in Dubai, and that in Oman gas is only .31 cents a gallon! So why would it be so expensive for Americans? Over 10 times as expensive as in Oman?

Oman's per capita GPD is 16,000, and America's is a bit over 40,000 - so they make 3x less than us, yet their gas is over 10x cheaper. Make sense to you?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Gas in the US is not government subsidized....that's why we pay more for it.

It's $0.12 a gallon in Venezuela, which like Oamn, Dubai and many other countries has the government foot the bill for most of the cost of their gas.

www.marketwatch.com...

edit on 22-4-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I just got gass like 20 miutes ago, local shell gas station. 87 octane $4.32 a gallon!!! i have a 10.5 gallon tank, but just below a quarter a tank, tkaes about 7 gallons/ $30 fillup. weekly*
DOnt really kow why gas is so expensive, could be the ethanol content and wallstreet, could be oil reserves are low( unlikely), could be the stupid Libyan war now, too that exxonmobil, valero, BP and others wernt able to get their hands of the oil fields in IRaq and afghanistan?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

BECAUSE THEY CAN!!! The USA knows that their people will pay it so why not charge it?? The sheeple follow orders given and WILL pay whatever they have to because that is the price the government wants to charge...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Yes, We just paid ~$70 to fill a mini van...

The inlaws pay well over $150 to fill their big V8 powered SUV.

[color=gold]GasBuddy is an excellent (open) source (every contributes to the fuel price data)

We used to ignore 2-5 cent price differences ... why bother wasting time to go a few blocks further to save 1-2 dollars filling up...

Now it can mean the difference between getting the kids an ice cream treat and topping off the gas tank in the neighborhood.

ALSO: Don't forget that your local/state gas taxes are filling up their coffers nearly 2x faster at these prices. Some pumps have a sticker that shows the tax rate(s) per gallon.

ALSO: [color=gold]GasBuddy Gas Price National Temperature Map

edit on 4·22·11 by DrMattMaddix because: add another link

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
blame the speculators on wall street

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
oil is used to curb inflation. There is a reason those in charge of such matters made the deal with the ME countries in the 70's to sell oil in only dollars - up until every recently dollars were the only acceptable currency for oil. This allowed them print what they wanted, knowing the could siphon off any amount of "cash" to curb inflation if needed. The money would not be put directly into circulation but instead would be used to buy debt or be held off market altogether. Speculators do the bidding of those who are trying to keep inflation in check.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
WE HERE IN ALBERTA have the 2nd LARGEST oil reserves in the world.......
Why are we paying 1.20 a liter at middle-east markup prices?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

becuase the rich invest in commodities which raises the price, puts our money in their pockets, and the elites serve their goal of keeping their "thumb" on us.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

Taxes... Also, the oil is shipped from the ME, so we pay for that, then you have speculation, we pay for that, then you have refining, we pay for that, and then we have ... taxes.

In my state, Washington, there is a 37 cent tax on Gasoline then after that a 6.5% sales tax.. or roughly 25cents at the moment. So about 62 cents in tax. If I fill my truck up, 20 gallon tank, 5 times a month I pay $62.03 in taxes (about) a month just on gasoline. This equates to roughly $744 a year.

Think about that next time you fill up.

new topics

top topics

join