It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CSS Linking Help Please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Hi. I am making a proposal that I wish to be in 'website' format, though the entire thing will be on a disk & is not intended to be put online, simply put the disk into a drive & have it run on an individuals PC.

As it is a proposal I am trying to make it a little flashy. I can write HTML sites easy enough, but thought Flash or CSS would be more impressive. I have a Flash intro loading into the correct page working perfectly, but;

As I dont know a lot about either, I have downloaded a few free examples from the web. The best & most suitable one has all I need, but the links dont do anything. I have tried everything I know (HTML basically) & cant get it to do what I want.

The page is laid out with 5 buttons along the top, & on either side are more menu's, with the centre (center) being where I want my links to go to. Ive tried target etc with no luck, it either moves to the desired page without the CSS 'flashyness' or it opens in a new window (even though I didnt have a "_blank" in the code.

I doubt I'm making any sense, but if anyone can tell me how, if its possible, to click on the links/buttons on the CSS page & have the new, HTML pages I am writing load in the middle without changing the rest of the page.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
From what I can tell the linked pages do not have the css embedded into it. you will need to put the css into those pages as well.

You can either put the css in the page itself or link to separate css file.

Is there any way you can put the pages online?
A look at the code would be most helpful in trying to solve this, otherwise its just a stab in the dark.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

Hi & thanks. Below is a copy of the main or index file. If you can make any sense from it Id be gratefull. Ive got written in the text where Id like my pages to open, its near the bottom. Thanks again.

Metamorphosis Design Free Css Templates

HOME
ABOUT
SPEAKERS
SPONSORSHIP
CONTACT

Media

NT News
Aussy News
International
TV
Radio
Spare
Spare

Recent Posts

Quisque laoreet varius nunc. Phasellus ligula neque, feugiat eu lacinia vel
Ut volutpat vehicula dolor at mollis.
Quisque dolor nibh, vehicula et varius et, mollis vel tortor.
Sed vulputate felis ac ligula feugiat aliquet in sed lectus.
Quisque laoreet varius nunc
Etiam sit amet mi orci, in venenatis ante. Sed vitae massa eget arcu egestas convallis.

Famous Quotes

Politicians
Astronauts
NASA
Scientists
Vatican
Spare
Spare

Links

UFO Territory

Saturday, June 13, 2010
In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Pellentesque porttitor urna dictum mauris

read more

Darwin UFO Conference 2012

This is where I'd like all clicked links to open. I have searched online & the answers were all "You cant do that with CSS". Is this true ? I dont want to be making frames.

read more

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
umm please edit your post or upload the html file, include a nonworking page as well, your code is scattered all over the ATS page,
but
is the following part in your code for other pages?

< link href="styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />

What your search is telling you is that you can't get a cd to autorun using css, but you can make the proposal with html/css, and use something else to make the cd autorun and open said file.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Hi there! As you feared, I'm not entirely sure what you want to accomplish - other than that, I should be able to help you with HTML / CSS . My current understanding is that you have a div in which you want all pages to load - the main page being loaded only at the start. Apart from just loading into the div, a kind of 'flashyness' is desired. I hope this is correct, as I'm about to continue on that assumption.

As CSS / Cascading Style Sheet is no more than a stylesheet - something with which you define the layout in shapes and colors - you can't use it to define dynamic actions, i.e. script. You can use it to make a link look pretty, but that's about it. CSS can be used to do what you want, but only in corroboration with Javascript. Don't let that scare you off - Javascript can be very friendly. More on that later.

Back in the day, HTML used to control these kind of actions with frames and link targets. The consensus in the business is that frames are outdated and should no longer be used. For demonstration purposes, you could consider using it anyway - but it won't lead to any flashyness and it might require a substantive rewrite. The other possibility for HTML is to use iframes. Iframes are like divs, but they can automagically load other pages with the "src" attribute. IIRC, you would still need Javascript to change the "src" attribute when a link is clicked.

It's possible I've overlooked an option, but it seems to me that you will have to turn to Javascript. Embrace it! If you wrote the HTML manually, you certainly seem ready to me. Either way, Javascript has been around for a long time and there are many frameworks that can fulfill all the basic dynamic needs. In preparing to explain what you'd need, I accidentally made an example page that does roughly what you want using jQuery. All of the basic functionalities of jQuery are defined within one _javascript file, which is included with a script tag in the head. Then it is ready for use - in this case, by some more script in the head.
(In this example, the jQuery code is loaded from the jQuery site each time you load the main page - if you want to use this on computers without an internet connection or just want to improve the speed, simply download the jQuery file named in the script tag and edit the src attribute to include it locally - i.e. remove everything but the file name).

Paste of example page

Just copy that into a file (test.html) in your directory and see if that's what you want. I've tried to provide useful comments in the script, but am prepared to answer any question. A quick explanation: Basically, the main div in which pages are to be loaded is assigned an id attribute in HTML, which makes it possible for Javascript to interact with it. When any link is clicked, a Javascript function checks to see whether a page attribute is set, and if so loads the file named in the page attribute into the main div, using fancy-pants _javascript - fading the main div out, requesting the page, filling the main div with the requested page, and fading the main div back in again.

P.S. To those that want to see the HTML of the OP in the garbled post above, just press the Quote button to get the unformatted post.

top topics

join