It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Defence kit system 'unacceptable'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
British MPs have reported that the British armed forces face 'unacceptable' defence cuts and delays because the MOD's equipment orders have already run �3bn over budget. This comes at a time when the MOD have just been told they face even more budget and job cuts.

news.bbc.co.uk
In a damning report, the Commons defence committee says the government's efforts to improve the way it orders kit has "failed on almost all counts".

The performance of the Ministry of Defence's procurement agency in 2002-3 was "woeful", say the MPs' report.

Major kit orders will arrive 18 months late, even without more delay, it adds.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have very strong feelings on this issue. I did not agree with the war in Iraq but whether you agree with the wars they fight in or not, you must agree that our troops deserve vital items of equipment on time. They do a great job for Britain. The British have fought wars very effectively even though they have had bad equpiment. This is down to the hard work and dedication of our brave troops that are always there for us when we need them. They deserve more than this.

The MPs are blaming the MOD's procurement agency. I believe that the fact the MOD don't want to invest money and take risks on new schemes is down to them not having enough money in the first place. They are hardly going to want to invest large sums of money into risky schemes for the future when they already can't afford to pay for what they are doing at the moment.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Budget Cuts for MOD?

[edit on 28-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

join