It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question on alternate biochemistries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I know that scientists have doubts about alternate biochemistrys such as sillicone and sulfur due to chain complexity, reactivity, abundence, ect. But would it be physicly possible if specific compounds could have more more complex moleculer chains and less/more reactivity on a planet with different conditions from our planet such as a denser/thiner atmosphere, air pressure, extreames in tempeture, ect. that unobsevable in curent conditions?

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
my opinion is, that somewhere out there it probably does exist. who knows if we'll ever find it. heck we may even create it someday.

check this page out
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
There would have to be a fundemental discovery in the way we believe bio-chemistry works. As of how we understand it now your answer would be a definite no.

To believe that we have a total understanding of everything in the universe at this point is ridiculous so who knows what remains to be discovered.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

I have read that page from top to bottom often just for fun.

However that dosent answear my question i would know if what i stated in the OP is possible under our current knowledge of the universe.
Sorry for being so critical of your post, it is much appreciated.
edit on 21-4-2011 by GoldenGolem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Thank you for the post. I hope that we discover something like this soon and your right about how close minded it is to belive that we know everything.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenGolem

what exactly is an alternative bio chemist

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

An aleternative biochemistry is somthing that is not based on carbon like we are. For example sillicone based beings are speculated to look just like living moving crystals.

Edit: I would try looking at the wikipedia page such the one that is linked to in Optimus Primal's post.
edit on 21-4-2011 by GoldenGolem because: Needed to give more info

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Well last year NASA said they've found bacteria that uses Arsenic instead of Phosphorous. So yes, alternative biochemistries are very possible.

www.wired.com...
edit on 22-4-2011 by little_green_man because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by little_green_man
Well last year NASA said they've found bacteria that uses Arsenic instead of Phosphorous. So yes, alternative biochemistries are very possible.

www.wired.com...
edit on 22-4-2011 by little_green_man because: (no reason given)

This is a bit of an oxy-moron because once we discover it than it fits into the human belief model no longer making it alternative. I believe the orginal post was thinking in more extreme terms.

top topics

join