It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do ATS threads show up on this website (The End Times Are Here)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I noticed that a few of my threads have also been posted on the website The end times are here.

Why is this and what gives them the right to do it?

ALS
edit on 21-4-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

There was another member asking about this: This website is stealing from ATS!

Here's what Springer said:

They are abiding the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). They only posted the first sentence and then linked back to your thread here. That's fine. I will agree that the bit about you "posting 3 articles on their site" is shady, but you'll have to take that up with them if you want them to stop using your user name like that. I also want to point out that there is lots of wrong information in this thread, when you post on ATS you share non exclusive copyright with The Above Network, LLC. You are free to do whatever you want with your content and so are we. You retain all of your rights and ownership, you share them with T.A.N. (thus the "non exclusive" copyright) because we are the publisher of your work. You are absolutely within your rights to enforce the copyright on anything you post here that is being illegally used by another site. Many times in the past we have enforced these rights on our member's behalf. Hope that clears it up for those who don't understand. Springer...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also, I heard the people who run the website are trying to sell a book

I saw my name there too and I don't want them to make it look like I agree with them or that I support them.
edit on 21-4-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Proper attribution and links to the originating site seem to be the "moral high-ground" on which they defend their use of the work of others. It is a DMCA-established freedom (Fair use). TAN (ATS) or the originating author "could" request a take down, but is it worth it? That's not for me to decide.

When you really need to be concerned is when it's copied without attribution, and no link to the original source... that, I think, merits a take down request, or restitution of some kind... perhaps both.
edit on 21-4-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

10 threads that i wrote are there

the site is like the small brother of ATS
lol

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
What a rip-off. I just found a fresh RATS thread posted there...those threads aren't supposed to be seen anywhere else...it's a TOTAL ATS copycat theft site...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

This is alarming indeed.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Glad to see its not just me who is angered by this. I write threads for the ATS not some two bit, copy cat, thread stealing, plagiarism boasting site!!!!

ALS

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm wondering if I should buy their book to see if there making any profit from ATS threads!

theendtimesarehere.com the-apocalypse-handbook

ALS

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

You can always ask them to remove your work from their site.

As long as their attributing the work back to you/ATS as their source, there really isn't much that you can do. It's not plagiarism or anything. It's fair use as far as the DCMA goes.

I wouldn't get too worked up about this, especially after having just looked at their site. It appears that all they're doing is copying the first sentence and then linking to the ATS thread. I don't know if that is really something to get worked up about.
edit on 21/4/2011 by octotom because: Added a paragraph

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra

There was another member asking about this: This website is stealing from ATS!

Here's what Springer said:

They are abiding the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). They only posted the first sentence and then linked back to your thread here. That's fine. I will agree that the bit about you "posting 3 articles on their site" is shady, but you'll have to take that up with them if you want them to stop using your user name like that. I also want to point out that there is lots of wrong information in this thread, when you post on ATS you share non exclusive copyright with The Above Network, LLC. You are free to do whatever you want with your content and so are we. You retain all of your rights and ownership, you share them with T.A.N. (thus the "non exclusive" copyright) because we are the publisher of your work. You are absolutely within your rights to enforce the copyright on anything you post here that is being illegally used by another site. Many times in the past we have enforced these rights on our member's behalf. Hope that clears it up for those who don't understand. Springer...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also, I heard the people who run the website are trying to sell a book

I saw my name there too and I don't want them to make it look like I agree with them or that I support them.
edit on 21-4-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

Well if its legal I guess we can't do much. Its still highly unethical and quite annoying.

ALS

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Being in the top 1500 websites on Quancast it's inevitable that our content (your content) will begin showing up all over the internet. I mean there's 11 million unique posts on ATS as of just a few days ago.

That's a pretty huge amount of content. As we are the #1 website on the net for specifically this kind of content ( a browse through the rest of the top 1500 sites doesn't include any that are conspiracy related) I would consider it a compliment.

Other places can't compete so in an attempt to drive traffic to their site they link our content. So long as they are doing it with proper links and giving credit to the OP, no harm no foul.

~Keeper
edit on 4/21/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by Signals

This is alarming indeed.

Indicating a RATS member is taking material in a closed area and giving it to that site? Yes, not good. I'd hoped RATS was more private for more sensitive subjects. Some have been more open in that section assuming it was more private. Not ATS's fault obviously, but you have to wonder about the integrity of some members I guess. Hrmmm.

The idea that they would write a book with material taken from others is probably not technically illegal, but pretty low IMO. Research for a book isnt simply taking other's material and using it for personal gain regardless of how you rearrange the information. Some may not want their material in it or to be included in a book by that site even if they give proper credit to the poster. Always some sort of unethical drama with these smaller sites it seems...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thats actually a very good way of looking at it.

ALS

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The only issue I see is with RATS....There should be a new disclaimer on the Forum warning about this or just shut it down altogether IMO...

Members are most certainly encouraged to be more open on RATS because it's not linked anywhere else...
edit on 21-4-2011 by Signals because: classified

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thats actually a very good way of looking at it.

ALS

The other way you can look at it if it applies is that if you are like me and many others you are only posting because you want to spread a 'message' or an 'idea'.

So what becomes more important the message/idea or you being the one that is seen spreading it?

If the message and or idea is more important to you then in a very real way this other site is helping you accomplish that.

top topics

join