It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poison Patch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Ok ,The other day i thought i would give up the ciggies,so i head down to the local pharmacy and ask the dude what he recommends for a stop smoking aid. He shows me the choices and asks 'How many cigs do i smoke ' and i said about 8 or 9 a day.So he says try the nicotine patch and i buy the patches and leave.
The next morning i put a patch on my left upper arm and wait and see,Ok sort of stopped the cravings a little but i noticed that my arm was getting sore,That night i felt like i was getting a headache,so i took off the patch and went to sleep,woke up during the night in a cold sweat and shivering,went back to sleep woke up the next day and had another headache and fever,i didnt put another patch on because i felt like it had poisoned me .Basically felt like a sick dog for the next 2 days. I wasnt sure if it was the patch or that i had caught a flu around the same time ,felt like a bad flu but without coughing or runny nose.
Today i was fixing some guys car and he says to me that he felt sick and i told him 'yeah me to' and i told him i used a patch and he says 'Yep that will do it to you".Anyone else had a similiar reaction to Nicotine patches? .

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Well, i have not tried them myself.

But, i do know of a person close to where i live who died from a nicotine patch overdose. He stuck about 30 of them all over his body, and died.

I am smoker, but have not tried to quit, so i cannot make suggestions unfortunately.

VVV

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I smoked for 15 years and used the patch to help quit.
Like any medication it may make you Ill depending on certain things.
Your body weight and the strength of the patch.
I am 5'6 and 135 wet... I had no adverse side effects.
It helps more than it hurt because I am 2 years smoke free
And if it hurt my body, that 4 weeks of hurt is worth the rest of my life smoke free

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I don't smoke so can't base my full opinion on experience. I looked into buying patches for a family member before...Can say maybe what you normally smoke is not as strong, as what is contained in the box. I think roll you own cigs, because they don't have a filter, contain more nicotine. So depending on what you smoke, might be a possibility in the reason, check into that.
Other than that, as a non smoker and for health reasons beyond not liking it or how it smells, nicotine itself and the other additives is the poison.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Not sure about sick, but when i tried quitting on the patches they do make your arm or wherever you stick them ache, like a dull ache. not sure why. I quit using the vitamin C trick, give it ago, basically just a detox of the nicotine using vitamin C. A lot of grape fruit juice

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I would guess the strength of the patch was too strong for you.

Have you looked into E-Cigarettes?

Many of them look exactly like real ciggs, produce thick vapor that feels like real smoke, and tastes far better. They have many different strengths of nicotine liquid available, even some with zero nicotine.

The base of the liquid that is used is the same stuff used in inhalers and nebulizers, and is safe. There are actually anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties to it. The vapor contains none of the cancer causing chemicals found in tobacco or big tobacco ciggs. Basically, there are no health problems with using an E-Cigarette (Also referred to as a "PV" or "Personal Vaporizer" other than the nicotine, which is actually far more benign than many are led to believe. Other than ingesting too much of it obviously, but the same could be said about pretty much anything.

Many have quit with these devises, and even if you don't quit, you are using something INCREDIBLY less dangerous, and actually cheaper if you buy E-Liquid or E-Juice and refill the liquid cartridges yourself.

I have been using mine for some time now, and while I have not completely stopped smoking, I've gone from over a pack a day, to 3-4 ciggs a day. My reason for getting into PVs wasn't to quit nicotine, but for a more healthy alternative. But, after using them for awhile, I can tell you it's easier (at least for me) to not vape, than it was for me to not smoke.

You can use this as a stepping stone to quitting, or just as a safer alternative. Either way, it's a big step in the right direction.

Initial investment is not that much. 7-11 sells an "X-Hale O2" starter kit for $20, While not the best PV out there, it's far better, in my experience, than many of the other commercial PVs out there, like "Blu" and "Smoking Everywhere" which is the PV company that sells them at mall kiosks and the like. And it's much, much cheaper.

The big cost is replacement nicotine cartridges, but as I said, you can purchase bottles of the fluid separately, and re-fill them yourself. Doing this brings the cost of the equivalent to a carton of smokes to about 10 bucks.

This is pretty much THE online source for PV info:

www.e-cigarette-forum.com There are many helpful people there to help you if you choose this option.

Having known hordes of smokers, the only ones that ever quit for good did it cold turkey, or with PVs. Just my observation.
edit on 21-4-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

join