It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Whaling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I do hope that this is true:

"Effective immediately, Japan will no longer conduct scientific research on whale populations which require capture and dissection," said Chief Cabinet Secretary Makoto Inoue, speaking at a press conference in Tokyo. "The Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has revoked all permits for whaling research."

One thing I did notice in this article is that they state that they no longer require the "Protein" from the animals.... So you really were NOT killing these for Scientific purposes - which everyone knew

m.current.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Seeker

"Effective immediately, Japan will no longer conduct scientific research on whale populations which require capture and dissection," said Chief Cabinet Secretary Makoto Inoue, speaking at a press conference in Tokyo. "The Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has revoked all permits for whaling research."

One thing I did notice in this article is that they state that they no longer require the "Protein" from the animals.... So you really were NOT killing these for Scientific purposes - which everyone knew

m.current.com...

I may be mistaken but I thought I read that Obama was AGAINST a ban on Japanese whaling.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

WOW Really ! Do you have a link for that one?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
What exactly is the problem with Japan whaling ?

As I understand it, they use whale-meat in school dinners, just as we may use cows, sheep or pigs in ours.

I have not yet heard a logical argument - other than those based on cultural biases - as to why some mammals should be killed for meat but others shouldn't.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

How are capture and dissection required for whale population research anyway? What is the inside of a whale going to tell you about the population that the outside won't?

I got twenty bucks that says those permits issued to people for "research" were not used by people who capture whales for research.
edit on 4/20/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

WOW Really ! Do you have a link for that one?

It was some treaty that he supposedly wasn't going to sign..I'm sure someone else knows more about this I didn't really care too much about it other than it pissed off the left as it was a campaign promise he was breaking.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

As I understand it, they use whale-meat in school dinners, just as we may use cows, sheep or pigs in ours.

I have not yet heard a logical argument - other than those based on cultural biases - as to why some mammals should be killed for meat but others shouldn't.

It's based on the probability of an extinction event. I believe that's why it's such an issue.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

The problem is that they don't farm whales like cows, they just kill them which will lead to extinction.
-logical

Also, whale meat has a high mercury content. Not good for school kids.
-logical
edit on 4/20/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This is a Win! These creatures are beautiful and intelligent and I am glad intelligent people in Japan have finally stopped this. Australia used to whale before we came to our senses. A win for the Japanese people and a Win for our fellow sentient beings the Whales.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
It's based on the probability of an extinction event. I believe that's why it's such an issue.

The main whales that are killed in Japan, Norway, and Iceland, are minke whales; they are in absolutely no danger of extinction in the near future.

Although, I still haven't heard a reasonable argument why a species should be treated any differently because of its endangered status.

edit on 20-4-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Either trolling comment or ignorant of the intelligence of these animals. I suppose I would have no aversion to human meat if I were a Zombie however I have the intelligence to make an ethical decision to not do so because I am and humans are supposedly higher being (intelligence wise) to bad this logic is not applied to other intelligent and sentient beings we share this planet with. Oh well..

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by scojak
The problem is that they don't farm whales like cows, they just kill them which will lead to extinction.
-logical

The vast majority of whales killed are minke whales; they are not in any danger of extinction.

I still don't understand why artificially preserving species is something to be supported or condoned. An estimated 99% of all species that have ever existed have died out, so why be concerned about the possibility of some sub-species of whales becoming extinct by the process of natural selection ?

Originally posted by scojak
Also, whale meat has a high mercury content. Not good for school kids.

I guess that would be something for the Japanese to look in to.

Fish can also have high levels of mercury, yet they are often a staple meal at schools in Western countries.

How about just letting the Japanese get on with running their own country, and not pokie our noses into their internal affairs ?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirak
Either trolling comment or ignorant of the intelligence of these animals.

What specific intelligence of these animals ? I'm going to need some actual cold hard facts to support your assertion, rather than just some new age nonsense.

You're just anthropormorphising, which, when done, is largely based upon the ego of the person who is doing it !

Do you base the importance and validity of life upon the perceived ''intelligence'' of a creature ? If so, you must agree that grown-up chimpanzees are more worthy of life than newborn human babies.

And considering that, for some bizarre reason, your personal view of what animals are valid to kill appears to be based on your personal view of their ''intelligence'', then you presumably have no problem with people killing mentally impaired or young whales ?

I suppose I would have no aversion to human meat if I were a Zombie however I have the intelligence to make an ethical decision to not do so because I am and humans are supposedly higher being (intelligence wise) to bad this logic is not applied to other intelligent and sentient beings we share this planet with. Oh well..

This is why I'm a vegetarian.

Mammals are sentient beings with neurological systems which mean that they can feel pain and suffering.

I just object to the hypocrisy and double-standards of those who elevate, through personal opinion and ego, the status of whales and dolphins above other sentient, pain-suffering mammals, such as cows and pigs.

It's completely illogical and immoral.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I still don't understand why artificially preserving species is something to be supported or condoned.

I don't support it at all. The resources used to feed all the livestock in the US would easily feed every person in the US. Hunger would no longer be an issue, but that would infringe on the luxury of meat, which many people would have a problem with.

Plus, the cows are fed corn which is extremely bad for them.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Either trolling comment or ignorant of the intelligence of these animals.

What specific intelligence of these animals ? I'm going to need some actual cold hard facts to support your assertion, rather than just some new age nonsense.

You're just anthropormorphising, which, when done, is largely based upon the ego of the person who is doing it !

Do you base the importance and validity of life upon the perceived ''intelligence'' of a creature ? If so, you must agree that grown-up chimpanzees are more worthy of life than newborn human babies.

And considering that, for some bizarre reason, your personal view of what animals are valid to kill appears to be based on your personal view of their ''intelligence'', then you presumably have no problem with people killing mentally impaired or young whales ?

I suppose I would have no aversion to human meat if I were a Zombie however I have the intelligence to make an ethical decision to not do so because I am and humans are supposedly higher being (intelligence wise) to bad this logic is not applied to other intelligent and sentient beings we share this planet with. Oh well..

This is why I'm a vegetarian.

Mammals are sentient beings with neurological systems which mean that they can feel pain and suffering.

I just object to the hypocrisy and double-standards of those who elevate, through personal opinion and ego, the status of whales and dolphins above other sentient, pain-suffering mammals, such as cows and pigs.

It's completely illogical and immoral.

This is a textbook defense listen mate books and google are your friend here. I'm not going to work to put an end to your ignorance If you choose to educate yourself you will.

I will agree with your comment on hypocrisy from meat eaters. I m a conscientious vego to for this very reason.
edit on 20-4-2011 by Shirak because: spelling correction

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
So is this it? Has Whale Wars finally won? Or is this just another official statement, which they will blatently ignore? I find it hard to believe.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

And it also raises the age old question, does tuna fish from can taste better with or without dolphin mixed in? I'm definitely for the "dolphin mixed in" !

new topics

top topics

join