It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your iPhone is secretly tracking you all the time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Your iPhone is secretly tracking you all the time

digitallife.today.com

Your iPhone has a hidden feature: It tracks and records your location constantly whether you want it to or not. What? You wish it wouldn't do that without your knowledge or consent? Too bad, because there's not much you can do about the tracking feature right now.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Another real life "big brother" story showing how our rights ARE being eroded. This time, it's the right to privacy. Along with the ATS thread about Michigan police being able to download everything off your cell phone whenever they feel like it, there is this story about iPhones were built to facilitate these violations of the 4th amendment protections against unreasonable search and seizure.

It's all happening right before our very eyes ...

digitallife.today.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Here's that story about Michigan Police stealing cell phone data, possibly for YEARS now...

Who still thinks they have rights and are "free"?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

My 5 cents: You don't wanna be tracked? Don't buy an iPhone

The article also says that the tracking data can only be viewed by somebody who has physical access to your iPhone.

Alarmist?

edit on 20-4-2011 by seabhac-rua because: meh

edit on 20-4-2011 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I can assure you, it's not only iPhones... ALL cellular phones record your location periodically for billing purposes, even if you turn said phone off.

The ONLY way to keep your phone from giving it's location to the nearest tower is to remove the power source and SIM card, and only reinstall them when making a call.

Trust me on this.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The next step they need to add is an IPhone feature that connects directly to the ATS search function. If they can do that, then all will be good.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine
I can assure you, it's not only iPhones... ALL cellular phones record your location periodically for billing purposes, even if you turn said phone off.

The ONLY way to keep your phone from giving it's location to the nearest tower is to remove the power source and SIM card, and only reinstall them when making a call.

Trust me on this.

But this seems to be different in that instead of your cell phone company keeping those records, the iPhone is said to store your location tracking on the phone and then periodically download the file to your PC when you connect for updates. That means police with devices like they already use in Michigan will be able to know where you've been real time and without a subpoena or court order.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
No surprise...

I suspect it goes further than just the I-phones. There's apps out there that track any mobile phone by it's number, giving you the exact location within feet.

Sheep On!

Ok, so in the time it took me to find that link, about four other people said the exact same thing. Of course they will use this for court subpoenas and such. And people are giving them authorization to do it by signing up for it. This would mean it is admissible in court. Slick PDB....

edit on 4/20/2011 by forall2see because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Centurion,

Good point. And I can assure you the FBI has had this ability, and the legal authorization to do this, for years.
The NSA is aimed outwards, but on these shores, the FBI has carte blanche.

It can be done using COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) equipment from your local Radio Shack, for goodness sake. If you know how to configure the gear, that is.

Hopefully more people "wake up" and realize that your cell phone can be used to target you more quickly and accurately than many can imagine.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Mine doesnt. Because I dont carry one. Nor a cell phone.

Why people feel the need to pay for and carry tracking devices I will never know. I know its nice to be able to contact every single person you know every single moment of every day.....................but for Gods sake, cut the umbilical cord and live your life a little. You can make contact with new people, make eye contact, smile, introduce yourself, instead of feverishly pressing buttons or the touch screen oblivious to the "real" world around you.

I see more zombies walking around tweeting, texting, talking on the phone, and I swear, Godzilla could be coming down the street and half of them would never notice. Oh well. Rant over.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Cell phones are extremely handy and sometimes needed for roadside assistance when breaking down in a storm or with young kids at night, many reasons to have a cell. I have a pre-pay with no apps or toys on it, just a basic device. Even that phone is susceptible to tracking and extraction. They got us by the coconuts on many levels of technology.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

It's all part of the plan to dehumanize the people of the world. And it's worked wonderfully.

We'd rather e-mail someone than talk to them on the phone.
We'd rather talk to someone on the phone than in person.
We'd rather not meet someone in person.

It's a mental manipulation that I believe is intended to make us apathetic to each other when the time comes and the government begins to take over. Divided, which we most certainly are right now, we stand no chance.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by Dreine
I can assure you, it's not only iPhones... ALL cellular phones record your location
But this seems to be different in that instead of your cell phone company keeping those records, the iPhone is said to store your location tracking on the phone and then periodically download the file to your PC when you connect for updates. That means police with devices like they already use in Michigan will be able to know where you've been real time and without a subpoena or court order.
I was going to make the same comment as Dreine, that all phones track you, but thanks for making this discinction about uploading the data, I didn't know that!

That does make the iphone worse, if that's true. My phone tracks my location when it's turned on, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't upload any data any further than my PC. I got the PC sync software from a 3rd party so I'm not using what came with the phone.

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
I see more zombies walking around tweeting, texting, talking on the phone, and I swear, Godzilla could be coming down the street and half of them would never notice.

So true. I was driving through a parking lot and some guy preoccupied with his cell phone backed out of his space without even looking as I was driving by and almost hit me. Even when I got him off the phone to chew him out, he still seemed like a zombie. It's dangerous!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

"Hopefully more people "wake up" and realize that your cell phone can be used to target you more quickly and accurately than many can imagine."

I'm tired of hearing this 'wake up' nonsense, this rhetoric is lame. You are either an aware, alert, person who uses their head and thinks things through or you are not.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

No they dont have us by the coconuts. People managed for many years without a cell phone on the road or with kids at night. (Not sure why you need a cell phone for kids at night, do they grow fangs?)

I do the maintenance on my car regularly, carry everything I need to change a tire, have a great full sized spare, and on the off chance I did have a problem, someone eventually would stop to see what was up. Yes, I COULD get killed by a serial killer on the side of the road, but I could also just start to carry my gun if that really worried me. When I am out doing things, I dont want people calling me. Im busy. Im out doing things. Leave me a message on the answering machine and I will get back to you when Im not busy. It doesnt make me feel important that people are ringing me, because I know they are only calling me because they are bored.

We dont NEED cell phones. Some people have to carry them for work, and I feel sorry for them, but no one really NEEDS them, or natural selection would have equipped us with one. People managed without them up until the last 30 years or so, and we can easily do so again. Its an electronic pacifier people carry around so they feel safer and more secure.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua
reply to post by Dreine

"Hopefully more people "wake up" and realize that your cell phone can be used to target you more quickly and accurately than many can imagine."

I'm tired of hearing this 'wake up' nonsense, this rhetoric is lame. You are either an aware, alert, person who uses their head and thinks things through or you are not.

I believe they are referring to what are commonly called "sheeple" here on ATS. These are people that just go through there lives not knowing or worrying about the turmoil going on all around them.

They can be sort of envied, I suppose, for their much simpler lives - right up until they get "harvested".
edit on 4/20/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Let me clarify.

By 'wake up' I was speaking about the need for people to become a bit more tech-saavy and realize that many of their modern day conveniences can be used for a myriad of purposes they probably aren't aware of.

Not lame rhetoric.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

They've only been really common for about a decade.

Maybe even less.

Amazing how such a young thing became "essential" in the minds of so many so quickly.

It's as though for many life simply didnt go on without these things.

I dont even have a phone in the home.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I hate having to carry a cell phone. Never had one til a little over a year ago, but my husband and I started our own business and if I want to leave the house I must forward our landline to the cell so as not miss any customer calls.
I also hate to see what they are doing to people. My own children are prime examples--we cannot even have one family get-together without them and their spouses having their phones in hand, fingers flying! It seems like my husband and I don't even need to be there because we sure aren't doing any visiting. And we don't even get to visit with the grandkids because they are too busy playing Wii!
I miss the days when I could go somewhere and be out of reach for a short time, and I miss the days when I didn't feel as if someone were watching and listening to everything I do. We live in scary times--Big Brother, War, failing economy, natural (?) disasters, etc. Will it only get worse?
Nana

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Oh god, and who's going to harvest the 'sheeple'? Do the 'awake' people escape from being 'harvested' by throwing their iPhones away when the day of reckoning comes?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join