It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold steel African walking stick review.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
ordered my Cold steel African walking stick.

i wanted it as a walking stick for when i go trial hiking, and i did not want an old people's stick. this has quite a unique design.

also the cold steel guys make this thing out of a supper hard plastic, that is apparently unbreakable.

here is a you tube vids that show its ability to hold up to damage, and do damage.

www.youtube.com...

i found this after i ordered it, i didn't know it was meant to be a club!!! you see it go threw bricks with ease get's jumped on and driven over. so i think it will be good for outdoor stuff..

and being plastic wont rot , warp etc.

as its a walking stick its legal to carry everywhere, even more so if you have a walking disability. as long as you carry it in plain sight though im not sure how or why you would want to hide it.

and i imagine due to its design would make a good self defence item. i used to do akido a while back so have limited training with staffs, as its akido was mostly about disarming people or pinning them. i imagine this would work with those kind of skills.

though i dont see how i would ever need it for that when hiking, the worst thing ive ever come across was a snake, and they usualy slither off when you get near, now i can bash them i guess.

but good for checking river depths and as a third ballance point on rugged ground. i think it will be a life long walking stick at a very cheap price , a hell of a lot cheaper and cooler than anything else i could find. it cost me about 30 with p&p

the ridges look like they will aid grip from all angles, especially good for when climbing steep slopes and a grip half way may be needed.

i am literately waiting for mine to arrive atm. it should be here in the next hour or so. as soon as it gets delivered
ill be posting up some first hand pictures and a review.

here is a link to cold steels website about it.

www.coldsteel.com...

here an excerpt of how they described it

"made from black Polypropylene. This means that, in addition to being unbreakable, it’s also impervious to the elements. It will never rot, warp, crack, splinter, swell, shrink, mildew or fade, and it’s ready for all the wear and tear you, and the world, can dish out. Although its primary mission is to be a walking stick to aid one’s balance when crossing uneven, slippery, wet or rough terrain, it can also serve as a pointer, lever, or probe. It also makes a formidable tool for self-defense in an emergency."

edit on 20-4-2011 by jericanman because: acidently posted blank topic.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

ill be back when it arrives

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Nice find. The clip really sells it, good looking, tough, decent price. Think i will pick one up, very handy for walking/fishing.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Looks good as far as a discreet sort of tool. Will the small end adapt to a climbing tip? Have been looking at the bushman as a quiet snaring and trapping item.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
well i guess you can just stick a ferrule on the end.

i found this site selling hiking ferrules and ice one's

www.saddler.co.uk...

and this one with metal spiked ones

www.charlesbuyers.com...

ive got a standard gripping one if it needs it as i read a few reports that it can be slippy brand new, but only on polished floors and the like, this is going to be for outdoor use so i guess it will be fine.

im still waiting for it, shud be here soon ... fingers crossed
edit on 20-4-2011 by jericanman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jericanman

I've always made my own...
adding touches that say...ME... as well as making it more practical... for instance... I wrap piano wire around the base... not for strength but a nice long piece of Piano wire has so very many uses

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/162dd3db6e18.jpg[/atsimg]

BTW Walgreens drug stores sell the rubber feet for canes and walkers... that rubber foot sure comes in handy on slick and wet surfaces

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
it has arrived.

very happy with it. looks just as good as the photo's

i have attached a rubber tip / ferrule to the end. it was a 1" ferrulew but just squeesed on to the 1 1/4" end

its a perfect hight for me. im 6' 2" and its 37" long its perfect.

the geometric ball top fits in my hand great. its a hot day here and even with sweaty hands it grips well at the end and the shaft.

it heels hefty but not too heavy. probably fine for a days walking. i may have to attach a lanyard to the top. so it can be hooked onto a bag easily.

its very very rigid. holding both ends and putting my knee in the middle . or standing in the middle while holding, like if you where breaking a stick of wood, it bearly even flexes.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jericanman

Let us know how you get on after a good long walk with it.
My only worry is that the angular nature of the ball may cause hand blisters after a long walk.

See if thats the case or not.

I would have to try walloping a few golf balls into a field with it too if i had such a thing.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

right after one long walk with the stick ive totally changed my mind.

it is totally impractical as a walking stick, unless you are built like a stock'y gorilla you are going to find this tiring to carry any distance. the handle is to big for any real comfort, and it is mostly the overall weight it is to darn heavy. after about 30mins it was a hindrance. as a club im sure it does the job, but i wanted a walking stick first club for emergency.

because at the end of the day unless your walking threw some kind of open cage fight brawl, you arn't ever going to use this as a weapon, mostly as a stick, and its just too heavy, and you get strange looks, its too fat and looks like a club no matter how much of a fake hobble you put on.

at the end of the day i could not see myself ever realy using it or taking it out so i ended up returning it. and used the other posters advice and just made my own walking stick, its light supports my weight, could deliver a nasty blow if needed and im allso having fun carving it.

i have re looked at the cold steel site and may order one of their thinner more stick like sticks but not atm. im very happy with the one i made for free, i used the re credited money to order,

a sjambok ( think riding crop on steroids) fun for hitting grass and foliage out of your way while walking i cant realy carry a machetee here in the uk but this folded / wrapped up in my bag shud be fine.

www.coldsteel.com...

and a cheap ring lock knife by them witch has lots of good reviews as a great power house knife for 7 quid....!!

www.coldsteel.com...

both came to under half the price of the club / stick and will get way more use by me.

so in summary dont get the African walking CLUB.

make your own walking stick. buy a sjambok for hitting stuff get a cool cheap knife and save some money at the same time.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
the two itemes i ordered with my refund are arriving tomorrow ill post review topics up when ive tested them out.

new topics

top topics

join