It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plane With Michelle Obama Had To abort landing due to mistake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

www.khq.com

KHQ.COM - A White House plane carrying Michelle Obama came dangerously cNlose to a 200-ton military cargo jet and had to abort its landing at Andrews Air Force Base on Monday as the result of an air traffic controller's mistake, according to federal officials familiar with the incident.

Ultimately controllers at Andrews feared the cargo jet would not clear the runway in time, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for their agencies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well, this is interesting. People have been wondering if the latter part of April is an unlucky time for the United States, and it looks like this event may be the start of the negative luck that is to come. The question is: How will this event be played to their advantage, or is this a legit circumstance that will be brushed under the rug and not heard of again by the end of the day? Only time will tell.

The Washington Post (Directed from KHQ and Drudge Report)

Other articles:

FOX News
edit on 4/19/2011 by SonicInfinity because: Added additional sources

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Beat me to it.

S & F for you.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
air traffic controllers are having a bad month, hey?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
air traffic controllers are having a bad month, hey?

Exactly what I was going to comment on. I was just reading a few articles yesterday on that. Now, it seems like they're putting the First Lady in jeopardy.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I think the real mistake was letting Michelle Obama onboard.

The latter parts of April? Do you mean Tax Day? Yep, the exact epitome of unluckiness.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

How about we have a bit of accountability on this entire air traffic controller business. Ray LaHood should be fired immediately. If he had any integrity, he would resign. It is almost every day now that we hear of a controller falling asleep, watching a movie - even the guy the other day who actually brought a blanket to work because he knew he was going to take a snooze.

The outcome? Some of these guys have been fired, a couple under review and a couple suspended. Under review? Suspended? They all should have been canned and canned that day. A review of personnel records should be conducted any any controller who has a documented incident of sleeping on the job, I don't care if it was 10 years ago should be fired.

This problem can be solved over night. Mandate two people in the tower at all times, even if the second person is not a trained controller, they can keep the other person awake, move to a 5 day 40 hour work week and be done with it. At the moment the Transportation Department is negotiating with the union about changes to the work rules. Obama should take a page out of Reagan's playbook and if they don't agree to the new work schedule immediately, fire everyone of them.

The fact that we are hearing about all of these situations now tells you that they have been happening all the time for years. I strongly doubt that LaHood was not briefed on the situation upon being appointed head of Transportation. I certainly hope Congress investigates this to determine if he was infact alerted to the situation.

One of the few things the federal government actually has a responsibility to do and its failing. The feds can't provide adequate air traffic control, yet they want to get involved in the micro-management of every aspect of your life. Makes perfect sense.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
mercury is retrograde !!

At 20:50 UT (Universal Time) Wednesday, March 30th, 2011,

Mercury the wise communicator—and universal trickster—turns retrograde at 24°19' Aries in the sign of the Ram, sending communications, travel, appointments, mail and the www into a general snarlup!

The retro period begins some days before the actual turning point (as Mercury slows) and lasts for three weeks or so, until April 23, 2011, when the Winged Messenger reaches his direct station. At this time he halts and begins his return to direct motion through the zodiac.

www.astrologycom.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

Ultimately controllers at Andrews feared the cargo jet would not clear the runway in time, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for their agencies.

crazy my first thought is this is a warning to Obama since he's turned off the goldmans and the feds special protections.
Here's the thing most of you dont see yet Obama imo has turned on his handlers tho Im guessing he's about to turn back. Or go full out dude may never admit it but he knows his true blood now.
anyone know where his kids are at? if hes got them all safe I'll bet on a massive announcement soon.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

It's actually from KHQ which links directly to The Washington Post, although I will add that to my post.

reply to post by yourmaker

This is what I was thinking as well. Perhaps this event will be used to manipulate them and/or their benefits somehow.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This has just been on Sky News.
Another air traffic controller falling asleep on the job? Sounds more like a miscalculation, but wow, yet another mistake to add to the air traffic control list. How much longer will it be until we're hearing news on a mass fatality aviation event? I hope they put some more training in asap.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
With all the faults of air traffic controllers in the news lately I wouldn't be surprised if this was just an attempt to discredit them, so they can usher in the new centralized eye-in-the-sky/air-traffic controlling robot, or something equally stupid.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
fat chance the guy will be fired all atc are unions.

dont know what been going on these days they use to say flying was the safest form of travel

i wouldn't bet on that these days.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Would NOT want to be the ATC at Andrews that caused the debacle....
As far as using it to ones advantage, it just might be what was needed to prove the point that ATC's are
overworked and notoriously short handed as they have always said they were.

Years ago I had a friend that was ATC for the Air Force. Believe me, I was told some stories then how some of them
would work for days at a time with minimal time in between for sleeping. Seems like it's been that way forever.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

So they should remove their staff completely and be understaffed while they wait for new qualified controllers, when they could just supervise them closer and put them through a review process, making it so that planes can continue to land in a timely manner with less stress on the controllers?

Not everything requires a radical step immediately, though I do agree that this should have never happened in the first place. The fact that these guys screwed up once means that they've screwed around in the past, meaning that the supervisors have not been doing their job.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
wow, talk about jumping to conclusions people :p

for all we know the cargo plane took its time taking off, in any case it sounds like it was ATC that canceled the landing so he was on the ball..or at least recognized the mistake or was more worried about it than the landing pilot...

i doubt any pilot is going to make a landing on a runway with a plane on it and i don't think they were under IFR at the time..pilots are totally capable and its no big deal to abort a landing..in this case it was the controller who did it from what little the article says.

it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me, just media hype because of all the recent controller stuff (which is bad I agree).

Anyways..the article says so little I think its a little premature to jump down anyone's throat.

Update: More on the story

sounds like the mistake was made before handing off to Andrews, the previous controller let the planes get a little too close; 3 miles instead of 5 miles (because of wake turbulence from planes as big as the C-17), The Andrews controllers tried to increase the separation and when they didn't think it would be enough had the 737 do a go around.

But still no need to scream at the Andrews controllers, they were right on the money.
edit on 4/19/2011 by toepick because: updated

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

They don't need anyone qualified in the room with them. You were in the room with the gent, I doubt you would let him fall asleep. Until they come up with a more viable solution, that could be done today.

As far as the work schedules, that can be done as of next week, the same way it is done in the private sector.

Folks who have been caught committing gross negligence of duty in the past which could have cost hundreds of folks their lives should be fired, period.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
i think that was a warning myself, probably not an error. I still feel he is just a pawn, and will be sending prayers for everyone, including Obama and his family. I wish he would seek protection 24/7 and simply disclose everything to the world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join