It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Starts Atom Tests In Defiance Of EU Deal

page: 1

join
share:
df1

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Despite threats from the US, as well as, coaxing from Britain, France and Germany, it appears that Iran is moving ahead with nuclear enrichment efforts having reclaimed equipment that had been sealed by the IAEA.

www.telegraph.co.uk
Iran has broken the seals on nuclear equipment monitored by United Nations inspectors and is once again building and testing machines that could make fissile material for nuclear weapons.

Teheran's move, revealed to The Daily Telegraph yesterday by western sources, breaks a deal with European countries under which Iran suspended "all uranium enrichment activity".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It strikes me as ingenuine that countries that already have nuclear weapons are trying to stop countries that do not from developing the same. If Saddam had actually built nuclear weapons his country would not have been invaded. The US invasion of Iraq gives countries such as Iran and N.Korea good reason to fear the US. If the US had used real diplomacy rather than gun barrel diplomacy these dangerous situations would not exist with Iran and N.Korea.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 27-7-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I don't see how you can blame them with the rhetoric coming out of Washington. GWB seems to be trying to lay the foundation for another war, this time against THEM. I can understand how a nuclear deterrent would seem attractive to the Iraninans.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by duckhunter
I don't see how you can blame them with the rhetoric coming out of Washington. GWB seems to be trying to lay the foundation for another war, this time against THEM. I can understand how a nuclear deterrent would seem attractive to the Iraninans.

This is Deja Vu IMHO, smells like pre GWII to me. Remeber the rhetoric started flowing before we kicked out Hussain? Dubya may be biting off more than he can chew with Iran though.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
It strikes me as ingenuine that countries that already have nuclear weapons are trying to stop countries that do not from developing the same. If Saddam had actually built nuclear weapons his country would not have been invaded. The US invasion of Iraq gives countries such as Iran and N.Korea good reason to fear the US.

The use of the double standard is especially egregious in light of the latest round of the arms race the US is starting with the research and development of �small� tactical nuclear weapons to go along with their �depleted� uranium munitions. This will force others to follow this stimulus of proliferation.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
If the US had used real diplomacy rather than gun barrel diplomacy these dangerous situations would not exist with Iran and N.Korea.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by John bull 1]

So you think Iran and North Korea just up and started making nuclear weapons the minute the US invaded Iraq...

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
There are two major concerns here. The first being that Isreal will never allow the plant to go on line. Regardless what the world or the UN say Isreal will act in its best interest, and allowing Iran to produce fissable material is not an option. The concequence of Isreal's actions will be easier for them to deal with than Iran with weapons grade plutonium.

The second concern is the UN not stopping Iran and allowing them to proceed with the construction. The proliferation of nuclear weapons in a region where instablilty and terror support exist is unacceptable. A country like Iran should never be allowed to develop such weapons. No good will ever come from this endeavor.

My opinion is that Isreal in the coming months, when the time is ripe, will fly in and destroy the facility before it goes online.

It doesnt strike me funny at all for the US to stop any country that is hostile towards us or our allies from developing nuclear weapons. You have to be totally insane to sit back and let it happen. We are dealing with weapons of unimaginable destructive capability, if 9/11 had seen the use of such weapons, millions would have perished.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by sniper068]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sniper068
You have to be totally insane to sit back and let it happen. We are dealing with weapons of unimaginable destructive capability, if 9/11 had seen the use of such weapons, millions would have perished.

That is a very sane and logical argument for why nuclear weapons should be made illegal to ALL!

Then we would have a good reason to enforce non-prolifiration policies. Right now the countries with nukes have no moral authority to prevent others from pursuing them. If nukes are so dangerous then there is absolutely no justification for anyone to have them. Period.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Gools

Sorry but tactical nuclear weapons are not a new endeavor neither is depleted uranium munitions.
If Iran produces a weapon, rest assured they will use it as a first strike weapon.

new topics

top topics

join