It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Ages: Were They Darker Than We Imagined?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Thanks for posting that link.
...My question: If it's a depiction of Halley's Comet, why are there two comets? ...and the two-headed calf does make me think there was a period of excessive environmental radiation.

I enjoyed the text above and below the painting:

some well-known historical earthquakes could very well have been impact events. Baillie mentions that one obvious prospect is the great Antioch earthquake of AD 526 which was described by John Malalas:
...those caught in the earth beneath the buildings were incinerated and sparks of fire appeared out of the air and burned everyone they struck like lightning. The surface of the earth boiled and foundations of buildings were struck by thunderbolts thrown up by the earthquakes and were burned to ashes by fire... it was a tremendous and incredible marvel with fire belching out rain, rain falling from tremendous furnaces, flames dissolving into showers ... as a result Antioch became desolate ... in this terror up to 250,000 people perished. (Jeffreys, E., Jeffreys, M. and Scott, R. 1986, The Chronicle of John Malalas, Byzantina Australiensia, Australian Assoc. Byzantine Studies 4, Melbourne.)

A medieval painting dated 1456 AD, depicting a pass of Halley's Comet.

Baillie also points out that a series of such impacts/overhead explosions, would more adequately explain the longstanding problem of the end of the Bronze Age in the Eastern Mediterranean in the 12th century BC. At that time, many - uncountable - major sites were destroyed and totally burned and it has all been blamed on those supernatural "Sea Peoples." If that was the case, if it was invasion and conquest, there ought to at least be some evidence for that, like dead warriors or signs of warfare... but for the most part, that is not the case. There were almost no bodies found, and no precious objects except those that were hidden away as though someone expected to return for them, or didn't have time to retrieve them. The people who fled (extra-terrestrial events often have precursor activities and warnings because a comet can be observed approaching for some time) were probably also killed in the act of fleeing and the result was total abandonment and total destruction of the cities in question.

And the onset of Dark Ages.

PS. Thanks pred.
reply to post by predator0187

edit on 16/4/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. Seems to have been a global phenonemon and sulphur deposits have been found in the geological record for that time in history which seems to back up the theory of a Volcanic eruption.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It's a scary thought that a volcano on the other side of the world could cause famine in Europe.

There's nothing that would stop the same thing from happening again today, and with so many more people that need to be fed, I can only imagine it would be worse.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

I messed up one of the links on my post-
but this is an article from discover magazine about how a giant dust cloud could cause an extinction level event.
DISCOVER- how a giant dust cloud could kill all life on earth

now what happens if we pass through a cloud that is composed of gas that ionized from the sun?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

There is a show on Discovery channel called Filthy Cities. I just saw London circa 1400.

London was a tiny town not like today, just a few miles around. The population grew so fast they had nowhere to dump their waste. people would crap and pee in pots then toss the contents onto the streets. modern pluming hadn't been invented yet.There was so much human crap covering the streets the rich could buy special shoes that allowed them to wade through the crap a few inches higher then they normally would. otherwise.. you guessed it.. you walked through it every day.

Some plumbers actually invented toilets that were attached to your window.. just a seat with a hole.. you would literally crap and pee on peoples heads as they walked below.

This coupled with blood and guts from animals that were butchered for food made going from A to B very trying. back then blood and guts from animals were tossed out into the street too. Urine, stale beer, fish guts all were tossed into the street too. All these practices were legal as there were no laws against them at this time.

That's when the Rats started coming that carried the Plague. Got sick? The treatment was blood letting by leeches and other means - actually making things worse - and that was the Best medicine thay had.

I'd say this period was pretty dark. I'm watching filthy Cities New York now and it's not much better.
edit on 16-4-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: edit

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I don't think the writers were lying. It's more likely that a cloud of dust from a comet or asteroid, or even a cloud from a distant asteroid impact finally drifted in between the earth and the sun.

Blue is no the color experience in a total eclipse - and if I recall from long ago, blue indicates shorter wave lengths. During a total eclipse, things get really, really red, and that's an eery feeling.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I haven't been able to find a source for this, but when I went to an Edmund Marriage talk and someone mentioned that a meteor had come across from Norway, down the West side of Britain and crashed into Southern America, Bolivea I think. The land was horribly scorched and it took years to get over this. I will, if there are more talks try to ask if anyone has any reference for this but the timing was in the 500's. I can't find anything about this as its before Bede by nearly 200 years. The artist seems to have painted an object that may have been this meteor. I can never get over how we suddenly seemed to go backwards during this era in the UK with most of our development on the Eastern side of the country.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join