It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is mothman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
this is something ive always been curiuoes about, but it got sparked again last night when i watched the eyes of the mothman, this was possibly the most in depth documentary ive seen on the mothman. and it offered some explinations, but im curious what people here think it is, ghost, interdimensional creature, alien, miltary weapon, or something else.
i think it is an alien personaly. just because of gthe mass sightings around the world

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
or its a "common barn owl" ... the human eyes often deceive us

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Like the Chupacabra, no one really knows. Think of it as an open-ended mystery.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

I believe that the mothman is quite possibly more terrifying than any of us could have imagined. What can be more terrifying than a ghost, an alien, or an interdimensional being, you ask?

Wild and distorted imagination.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tonypazzohome

its possible, but ive always wondered is why did the sightings stop after the bridge collaps, i dont think the barn owls just disapeared from the area

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
All I know is, as I was driving out west, I stayed in West Virginia for a night.
I figured, what's the harm in asking about Mothman...right?
Well, the mere mention of the name had a few of the locals change their tune from happy-go-lucky, to sullen and serious.
They warned me, being an "outsider" not to cross the bridge.
I did drive right through the heart of Mothman territory, but I played it safe and stayed away from the bridge.
So, a few of the locals seem to take the legend pretty seriously, even though none of them really knew (or wanted to disclose) what it is.
Your guess is as good as mine.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well, truth is... I interbred with a Moth.

Joooookes.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Matthew Dark

that is something i am convinced its not, a hoax, just because everyone one the documentaries is so surious aboutit

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

what is the mothman
i got to tell you i have no idea

sorry mods is this off topic

edit on 15-4-2011 by audio assasin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matthew Dark
All I know is, as I was driving out west, I stayed in West Virginia for a night.
I figured, what's the harm in asking about Mothman...right?
Well, the mere mention of the name had a few of the locals change their tune from happy-go-lucky, to sullen and serious.
They warned me, being an "outsider" not to cross the bridge.
I did drive right through the heart of Mothman territory, but I played it safe and stayed away from the bridge.
So, a few of the locals seem to take the legend pretty seriously, even though none of them really knew (or wanted to disclose) what it is.
Your guess is as good as mine.

Ohhhhhh, I so want to drive back and forth over this bridge all day and night with "Mothman" scent on me. This is another version of stories like Lock Ness and Bigfoot.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I've been to Point Pleasant quite a few times looking for the good ol' mothman and I've never noticed the locals acting strange. The town has a Mothman Festival with a beauty pageant for goodness sake.

The area was cursed by a Shawnee Indian chief named Cornstalk around the late 1700s and I tend to think it has something to do with that more than anything alien/UFO related. Skinwalker of some type maybe?

Now that I think about it I believe there were some Men In Black type men asking a lot of questions around the time of the sightings also so I doubt very seriously it was just a barn owl.
edit on 15-4-2011 by CameronWV because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I've always wanted to track this thing down along with the Jersey Devil.

I love the Mothman stories, since they have that certain element of uncertainty.
Aliens have gotten kind of boring since everyone pretends to know them/where their from/etc.
Bring on the mysteries!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SweetRevenge

I was wondering when someone'd mention that.
People have been talking about the Jersey Devil for over a hundred years.
How long has Mothman been around?
Are there any stories from settlers to the area?
How far back does this thing go?

And yeah, I don't believe it's a hoax either.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matthew Dark
reply to post by SweetRevenge

I was wondering when someone'd mention that.
People have been talking about the Jersey Devil for over a hundred years.
How long has Mothman been around?
Are there any stories from settlers to the area?
How far back does this thing go?

And yeah, I don't believe it's a hoax either.

As I mentioned before the local settlers were cursed by Chief Cornstalk around the 1770s after the settlers betrayed Cornstalk and his son.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

personally i think it was an urban legend at first, but it became so well known... and even feared by a lot of people, their combined energies created a tulpa.
so in my opinion the mothman is a thoughtform, this would explain why he manifests all over the world, i mean a thoughtform will manifest wherever there is people.... especially if the seeds (the myth or legend) have been sown!

^_^

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieFinny

that seems like an interesting concept there

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I believe its something that dwells within the earth that has been forgotten about..........some sort of demon perhaps.

new topics

top topics

join