It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Nuclear EMP Details Just Found on Web

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
home.earthlink.net... has just revealed secret Russian test results on nukes in space that have been under wraps for over 40 years.

Here is an excerpt:

[-------------Russian nuclear tests at high-altitudes damaged facilities 500-1000 kilometers from ground zero. That was in the vaccum-tube era of electronics. Now we are in the era of MOS transistors with gate size of 50 nanometers (nm, billionths of a meter) and dielectric thickness of 1.2 nm.

The Russians have been reticent about providing details of such tests. Dzhezkazgan is about 505 km west of Saryshagan (see the map). The actual ground zero (GZ) reportedly was near the mining town of Baykonur, not to be confused with the Baykonur Cosmodrome, which is at Tyuratam (Leninsk), 300 km southwest. This would place the airline distance of GZ about 550 km from Tselinograd, 570 km from Karaganda, 565 km from Mointy, 600 km from Saryshagan, 730 km from Brlik, and 960 km from Almaty.

Regarding the aerial line, all fuses and surge protectors operated, and the theory of voltage and current generation by HEMP, along with the tested ratings of the devices, was used to explain which HEMP phenomena - early, intermediate, or late time - operated which devices.----------]
home.earthlink.net...

Congress heard a report on HEMP on July 22 that is positively scary, but it omitted the technical details from the above site. That report is at www.house.gov...

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Great find..... I just skimmed over the links, but any information on EMP is gold indeed. Makes you kind of wonder what lurks out there in the Russian archives....

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
A nuclear explosion in outer space is quite Beautiful. Its like a small sun a orb of raw energy. Good find Chairman01 really intersting stuff you found

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Great find this makes me wander what really went on during the cold war i mean the Russians did some incredible test i have no doubt the US did some im just curious what really went on

E_T

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Any nuclear explosion in high altitude produces strong EMP pulse.
I think US also noticed those effects when testing nuclear tipped ABMs.
(that while ABM could destroy incoming warhead it would also knock out electronic in own area)

Read about Starfish Prime test.
nuclearweaponarchive.org...

[edit on 27-7-2004 by E_T]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The problem with nuclear EMP is although the EMP is strong enough to fry almost any circutry its not like the explosion will leave anything left over for the EMP to effect.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
The problem with nuclear EMP is although the EMP is strong enough to fry almost any circutry its not like the explosion will leave anything left over for the EMP to effect.

Not true. High altitude bursts (300,000 ft or more) will have devestating EMP effects, but will probably cause no damage due to heat or blast effects on the surface of the earth.

The problem is they will also destroy a large percentage of the sattelites orbiting the earth. This makes it unlikely that any country with signifigant space assets (i.e. US, Russia, China, Europe) will use high altitude EMP's.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Another more common sense reason why no country will use high altitude EMP cuz if you start launching nukes to a certain country that has ICBM's they are going to retaliate with their own nukes what are you going to do call them and say he don't attack us back its only EMP

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Another more common sense reason why no country will use high altitude EMP cuz if you start launching nukes to a certain country that has ICBM's they are going to retaliate with their own nukes what are you going to do call them and say he don't attack us back its only EMP

That's not the point. The point would be to pre-emptively cripple the command and control or early warning system of the adversary so they could not determine the scope of the attack (most importantly time on target) and cause problems conveying launch orders to their nuclear forces.

On a side note - this is why the Russians were so concerned with the scandanavian rocket several years ago. It's trajectory and launch point mimicked what a US SLBM meant to take out polar early warning radar with high altitude EMP bursts would do.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Yes but the Russians had plenty of time to retaliate before the nuke detonates so by the time the EMP takes affect the ICBM's of the country you are attacking are already en rout to the nation that launched the EMP nuke.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Yes but the Russians had plenty of time to retaliate before the nuke detonates so by the time the EMP takes affect the ICBM's of the country you are attacking are already en rout to the nation that launched the EMP nuke.

Not so with an SLBM - read the other thread. Keep in mind that while ICBM flights are typically 30 minutes or more, SLBM's often can strike within 8 or so minutes (from launch) because they have much less distance to cover.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Not so with an SLBM - read the other thread. Keep in mind that while ICBM flights are typically 30 minutes or more, SLBM's often can strike within 8 or so minutes (from launch) because they have much less distance to cover.

Like I said in the other thread what about our SLBM all we got to do is tell them to launch and their missiles also take 8-10 minutes to hit Russia for example. Also US missile silos are built to withstand everything but a direct hit from a nuclear missiles and survive and by the word survive I don't just mean the structure is standing I mean the electronics and all of the launch system still work.

[edit on 28-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

new topics

top topics

join