It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's oldest man Walter Breuning dies in US aged 114

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Walter Breuning was old enough to remember his grandfather recounting his part in the slaughter of the American Civil War, during the 1860s.

In his final years in Montana, he was passionate about ending two modern wars, those in Iraq and Afghanistan.

His long good health he put down to a strict regime of two meals a day.

"How many people in this country say that they can't take the weight off?" he asked in an interview with the Associated Press news agency in October.

"I tell these people, I says get on a diet and stay on it. You'll find that you're in much better shape, feel good."

The former railway clerk died of natural causes in hospital in Great Falls.

He had been living in the same retirement home since 1980.

His wife of 35 years, Agnes Twokey, died childless in 1957.

"We got along very good," Breuning said. "She wouldn't like to spend money, I'll tell you that."

Of his grandfather, he remembered hearing, at the age of three, his recollections of killing Southerners during the Civil War.

"I thought that was a hell of a thing to say," he said.

Reflecting on mortality, he told the Associated Press: "We're going to die. Some people are scared of dying. Never be afraid to die. Because you're born to die."

I kind of pasted the whole article as it wasn't very long but here is the link anyway.
www.bbc.co.uk...

And for anyone that doesnt know, the worlds oldest woman died this year in January who was also at 114 years old.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
wow, 88 years older than i am!

there's something to be said for all the old timers who say eat a steady diet.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by donkeystyle

you must be the same age as me lol, i have felt old myself recently with the odd grey hair coming through but this definatly makes me feel younger again.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Great story; it's a surprise that the oldest man was from the US, given that US average age of mortality is lower than most other developed (and a number of developing) countries.

There can't be that many people left alive at all from the 1800s anymore...

He picked a good time to check out, right before TSHTF...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Yeah it is a bit surprising but i doubt he ate much Kfc or Pizza hut in that care home of his and he may of been in a very rural and pollution free area.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Wow 114,what a life that guy must of had.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

I would of given a arm to have been able to sit down with this man and learn everything he has experience during his lengthy time on Earth.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Go in peace, Walter!

I love hearing about people like this.

Obviously he was a good no nonsense and no bull# person who spoke his mind.

The world needs more people like Walter.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Wierd.......considering Jeanne Calment in France, who lived to be 122 years...???

edited - I see it means the oldest person at this time, and Jeanne died a few years back.
edit on 15-4-2011 by coquine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by coquine

What's this French you speak of? I'm not up to par on my new age lingo.

All joking aside

Jeanne Louise Calment (French pronunciation: [ʒan lwiz kalmɑ̃]; 21 February 1875 – 4 August 1997)[1] had the longest confirmed human life span in history, living to the age of 122 years, 164 days (44724 days total).[2] She lived in Arles, France, for her entire life, and outlived both her daughter and grandson. She became especially well known from the age of 113, when the centenary of Vincent van Gogh's visit brought reporters to Arles. She entered the Guinness Book of Records in 1988, and on 17 October 1995 she became the oldest person ever, having surpassed the (now dubious) case of Shigechiyo Izumi of Japan. She became the last living documented person born in the 1870s when the Japanese supercentenarian Tane Ikai (born 1879) died on 12 July 1995. Her life span has been thoroughly documented by scientific study, with more records having been produced to verify her age than for any other case. She is the only person ever to be confirmed to have reached at least 120 years of age.[3]

Wiki

op you may want to revise the title of this thread.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by coquine

Jeanne was a woman, Walter was a man.

What is the problem? The poster said man, not woman.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by coquine

Jeanne was also a woman.

Diff categories.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
to be fair i did mention a woman who died right at the bottom of my post but she was the oldest woman at the time of her death and not the oldeest woman in history.

I wonder what it would be like to hear your grandfather telling stories of killing southeners?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Sorry, when I went to the linked article, it mentioned also the "worlds oldest living woman" an american who also lived to be 114.
www.bbc.co.uk...
And I became confused because others have lived longer than that.......men and women. There was a japanese man who lived to be 122 also.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

That is incredible. My moms 93 and being happily married to my dad has helped her live a long life. They traveled a lot but both of them drank wine and my dad enjoyed a few beers. He lived to 96 so I hope it runs in the family. I saw and old woman recently on the local news celebrating 106th who said she drank and smoked all her life. She probably didnt develop "bad habits" of drinking and smoking. She could enjoy the occasional smoke or drink without succumbing to the whole pack or the whole bottle or every night.
One persons poison is another persons cure.

top topics

join