It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this Fish? Photoshop or Real?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I was just reading Casandra's insect thread and tried to find more info on the bug she displayed.
My attention changed when I saw this picture:

I am pretty good at seeing through most CGI's and edited photo's but this thing looks real!

WTF

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

It's real... It lives in the deep deep mid ocean but I can't remember its name. Check out "The Deep" an episode of "Blue Planet".....

edit on 14-4-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Looks like an anglerfish.
edit on 4/14/2011 by yeahright because: Link

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
WTH....LOL...Hope I don't get bit in the a$$ by that thing !!!! Forward seeing eyes would place this fish amongst mammals and able to see in 3D.....I'll hope for a hoax !

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Yeah, I agree.

It looks like some species of angler fish

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I found another photo but this one looks 'fishy' to me.

It's a HOAX: Mods please update!

Identified in some versions of the email as a “Devil Fish,” the gruesome specimen in the preceding photographs doesn’t really exist. It’s a fine example of what is called “gaff art” — the manufacture of sideshow artifacts or fake oddities out of the preserved body parts of real animals using taxidermy and prop-building techniques. It was first sighted in an eBay auction dated May 2006, where it was described as a “mummified sea monster corpse.” The winning bidder paid $637.

It was created by Florida artist Juan Cabana, who was also responsible for the creepy “merman or mermaid carcass” allegedly found washed up on beaches from South Africa to south Florida.

Prank

edit on 4/14/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

OH.MY.GOD

I'm never getting close to the ocean ever again.

Have you checked out this Link? It has more horrible sea creatures, though not the one you posted.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Casandra because: Link added

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Those are clearly not fish teeth. It looks like some sort of mammal skull put on a fish tail.

en.wikipedia.org...

According to BBC's Blue Planet- The Deep -, the Fangtooth has the largest teeth of any fish in the ocean, proportionate to body size.

Look at some Google images for 'fangtooth' or 'anglerfish' and you will see that the teeth are very thin and uniform... These pics show fangs and molars and whatever the other types of teeth are called

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
That is photoshopped. Looks to be the eyes, snout, and teeth of a baboon. It has nasal openings for Christ's sake. How many fish do you know that breathe through a nose?

link   
Actually, upon further review... (see, like an instant replay thing
)

I think this one is a hoax.

The real deal things are monstrous enough, so I'm not sure what the point was. But there you go.
edit on 4/14/2011 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

link   
Doesn't look shopped.
But it does look like a fake of some sort.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Identified in some versions of the email as a “Devil Fish,” the gruesome specimen in the preceding photographs doesn’t really exist. It’s a fine example of what is called “gaff art” — the manufacture of sideshow artifacts or fake oddities out of the preserved body parts of real animals using taxidermy and prop-building techniques. It was first sighted in an eBay auction dated May 2006, where it was described as a “mummified sea monster corpse.” The winning bidder paid $637. It was created by Florida artist Juan Cabana, who was also responsible for the creepy “merman or mermaid carcass” allegedly found washed up on beaches from South Africa to south Florida.

Link

Ok, so the artist who created this sells it as real but it's not, and he doesn't consider them hoaxes either

But... it's a HOAX.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think it's an angler fish too....it gets it's name from the fact that is has a protusion on it's head with a little "lure" on it....it will bury itself under the sand, so that only the "fishing pole" is seen. He wiggles it around to tempt a hungry fish....the fish goes after the "bait"...then BAM!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Oh my god it's uncle scooter,I was wondering were he's been!!seriously though there are some strange fish out there(especially lately)it's quite possibly real ...why not?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

It's real....here is a link about it....one creepy looking fish. oceanexplorer.noaa.gov...

The "Demon Fish" is real too...here's a link to that...it's also called the "Tiger Fish"

www.oldfishinglures.biz...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra

Identified in some versions of the email as a “Devil Fish,” the gruesome specimen in the preceding photographs doesn’t really exist. It’s a fine example of what is called “gaff art” — the manufacture of sideshow artifacts or fake oddities out of the preserved body parts of real animals using taxidermy and prop-building techniques. It was first sighted in an eBay auction dated May 2006, where it was described as a “mummified sea monster corpse.” The winning bidder paid $637. It was created by Florida artist Juan Cabana, who was also responsible for the creepy “merman or mermaid carcass” allegedly found washed up on beaches from South Africa to south Florida.

Link

Ok, so the artist who created this sells it as real it's not, and he doesn't consider them hoaxes either :

But... it's a HOAX.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

Quoting this post to reiterate to all the members here who will not read a thread before commenting.

This is a HOAX that is nearly as old as the internet. It is not a photoshop it is a taxidermy job like that of the Fiji Mermaid PT Barnum used to peddle.

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by Casandra

It's real....here is a link about it....one creepy looking fish. oceanexplorer.noaa.gov...

The "Demon Fish" is real too...here's a link to that...it's also called the "Tiger Fish"

www.oldfishinglures.biz...

Those are not even remotely the same fish.

HOAX Bin please.
edit on 4/14/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I'd rather be in a swimming pool with the Hoaxed fish - alive! Then that Tiger Fish.

My god what are these things eating these days?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Even if that it is not a real fish there are real fish that are very large with teeth similar to that. Just watch the show river monster here's an example.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Yup, after more than a casual glance it seems this fishes has been fitted with a set of prosthetic teeth.....

Those are mammal teeth.

But technically, it's not the Fish's fault....

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
That is the ugliest looking thing I have ever seen

Where was this taken?

<<   2 >>

join