It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second earthquake swarm in a week in SW Nevada ongoing now...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Truthbender13

when the depth is zero it means the quake has not been reviewed by a seismologist yet

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by megabogie
reply to post by Truthbender13

when the depth is zero it means the quake has not been reviewed by a seismologist yet

Not true:

These parameters provide information on the reliability of the earthquake location. Zero values usually indicate that the contributing seismic network did not supply the information.

USGS - Glossary of terms on earthquake maps

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Just been a 5.4 near Guam @ depth 12.3km(7.6 miles).

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I have an app on my iphone and its been pretty much going mad for the past 2 days. Something occurring maybe

edit on 12-5-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

Hm, I'm not sure if these parameters relate to earthquake depth in the same way... (ok, or I just won't admit that these parameters, of which

Erzz The depth error, in km, defined as the largest projection of the three principal errors on a vertical line. See Erho
seems closest to the matter, bizarrely confuse me lol ) but thanks, though.

This spurred my brain a little to phrase an adequate search-question and I found this:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Sometimes it is simply a very shallow event with poor depth resolution, but more often it is not actually an earthquake, but a quarry blast. These explosions are recorded by the seismic network and located by the software. When they are reviewed by a seismic analyst, they are labeled as a quarry blast in the earthquake catalog.

A quarry blast, eh? For kicks I checked out some more info to get an idea of how powerful a 4.1 m earthquake (?) is.

en.wikipedia.org...

Weeell... can't really be considered peanuts, now can it?

I've been keeping an eye on that map and Nevada's quite arumblin the entire day, ok, quakes are mostly week and shallow, but still. If that 4.1 turns out to be of some kind of different and unnatural origin,.... an explosion, perhaps, then with all due respect, 4.1 seems quite a blast to me. รด_O
I sure wonder what's up with that

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join