It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are but Children of the Sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Hey folks, this is somthing that has really alarmed me.

The story you are about to read has shocked me in a few ways to say the least, so i'm now here sharing with you.

Around about september 2009, I was lead guitarist in a band in Auckland New Zealand, and we were competing in a "Battle of the Bands" type competition. Rhyan Rego was the lead Vocalist for an awsome band called "Damagetones". There were several other mini prizes that night such as a new drum kit for best drummer, new guitar for best guitarist and so on.....Needless to say, Rhyan was the TOP vocalist of the night taking out best Vocalist award.
These guys were amazing and I couldnt stop going to thier myspace and listening to them, they had such an awsome sound!!

Anyway, today I recieved an email from our bassist with a news article saying that Rhyan had Simply Vanished while at a popular beach Murawai.

Finiding out that it was indeed actually the same guy from that competition 2 years ago, was pretty mind blasting to say the least..."its a small world after all" was all that was running through my thoughts...

heres the article:

Rhyan Rego was last seen standing in ankle-deep water at Muriwai beach just after 6pm last Thursday.

A young man has vanished from a notorious surf beach, leaving family and friends baffled.
Rhyan Rego could not swim and was usually reluctant to go into the water.

The 21-year-old Unitec student was last seen standing in ankle-deep water at Muriwai just after 6pm last Thursday.

He left his spot on the beach where he had been watching his friends' belongings as they swam, and went into the sea.

He has not been seen since and his parents fear the worst.

His five friends had been swimming, and three of them decided to go and get takeaways for dinner.

Each group thought Mr Rego was with the other, and it was not until they sat down to eat about 35 minutes later that they realised he was missing.

They searched for him, and alerted police at 7pm.

Mr Rego's parents Vincent and Ernestine were called soon after, and went to Muriwai to help search for their youngest child.

"When I was going out there I was hoping that somehow, even though it was a long shot, that he got out of the water," Vincent Rego told the Herald yesterday.

"It's a fact that he went into the water, the question is, was he in far enough for him to get himself into trouble?

"We are asking the Lord to bring him back miraculously ... We are assuming he drowned but there is no evidence. We haven't found his body, so we are hoping he is somewhere else."

Vincent Rego said his son was last seen in his swimming trunks standing in the water.

"He didn't know how to swim and that's the reason he wasn't particularly fond of going in the water.

"But, we know he has not contacted us and not returned home. So that evidence seems to point to him going too far into the water and getting caught in the current."

Police, search and rescue teams and Mr Rego's family and friends searched the area where he went missing for four days. But there has been no sign of him.

Auckland Westpac Rescue Helicopter crewman Leon Ford spent more than an hour in the air searching for Mr Rego the night he went missing.

"It was dark by the time we got there. The water was really rough, and there was a strong south westerly blowing," he said.

"I wouldn't go out there in surf like that, it was quite big."

The crew used night vision goggles as they searched the area where Mr Rego was last seen.

"We had a really good visual, but there was no sign. Police were also looking and they had night vision goggles and thermal imaging equipment."

The call-out squad from the Muriwai Volunteer Lifeguard Service also joined the search.

Mr Rego left his clothing, cellphone and wallet on the beach.

"We are keeping his mobile on and fully charged, we want to hear his voice," said Vincent Rego. "We have been calling his voicemail to give us that feel of his voice ... just to know that he is somewhere.

"It is extremely, extremely difficult, the sudden and very tragic way that he went."

Mr Rego's siblings Rhys, 27, and Rhea, 26, were struggling to come to terms with his disappearance.

"Rhea and Rhyan were born on the same day. As each day goes by it's becoming a little less hard, but there are times where she just gives in to her grief."

He said his son, who was to complete a graphic design degree this year, loved art and music and sang in a band.

"He was an artistic guy, he loved to have a lot of fun. He had a wide range of friends, he was quite a colourful guy."

Vincent Rego begged other beachgoers to not go beyond their limits in the water.

"My advice to youngsters is to heed those warnings and take a lesson from the experience our family is having. There are signs at beaches that say swim between the flags, and no lifeguard on duty; take notice and don't venture into the water."

A prayer service will be held for Mr Rego at St Dominic's Church in Blockhouse Bay tomorrow at 7pm.

Patrol Superintendent David Butt said Mr Rego would not have stood a chance in the dark and rough conditions.

"It was quite big and messy, there was an incoming tide," he said.

"We were out there for about an hour. We've been out several times since, searching around the rocks and up the coast."

Very sad indeed and my thoughts go out to the family of such a creative, artistic genious in my opinion.

Now, heres were things got alot stranger for me...

Ryhan recently started a facebook page, Uploading some of his artwork, recently like march this year.

Now, some of the images you will see will make you second think what youve read above and wonder....hmmmm..
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11860e9feec3.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae797b10f84f.jpg[/atsimg]
(this last image disturbs me, as it shows a giant Tsunami headed straight for Auckland City)
here a link to the facebook page:Rhayn Rego Facebook
The connection between Rhyans disapearence, and the expression of his latest artwork points me to believe that he possibly thought that he was a "Child of the Sea" and that he was returning to his natural home..
Were would he have heard this and does anyone else have any ideas about this?

Opinions Much appreciated!

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Dio called, he wants his track back.

For the uninitiated...

Heaven and Hell -> Track 2 on the A side.

People still use MySpace?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Shows something disturbing. He probably heard voices and walked in to drown thinking he could breathe or ride a whale or something. I'd say he was delusional or at leats hearing voices or something. No sane person who can't swim walks into the sea.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Black Sabbath Children Of The Sea Lyrics

In the misty morning, on the edge of time
We've lost the rising sun, a final sign
As the misty morning rolls away to die
Reaching for the stars, we blind the sky

We sailed across the air before we learned to fly
We thought that it could never end
We'd glide above the ground before we learned to run, run
Now it seems our world has come undone

Oh they say that it's over
And it just had to be
Ooh they say that it's over
We're lost children of the sea, oh

We made the mountains shake with laughter as we played
Hiding in our corner of the world
Then we did the demon dance and rushed to nevermore
Threw away the key and locked the door

Oh they say that it's over, yeah
And it just had to be
Yes they say that it's over
We're lost children of the sea

In the misty morning, on the edge of time
We've lost the rising sun, a final sign
As the misty morning rolls away to die
Reaching for the stars, we blind the sky

Oh they say that it's over, yeah
And it just had to be
Oh they say that it's over
Poor lost children of the sea, yeah

LOOK OUT! the sky is falling down!
LOOK OUT! The world is spinning round and round and round!
LOOK OUT! The sun is going black, black
LOOK OUT! It's never never never coming back, LOOK OUT!

Some of these lyrics seem very metaphorical and kinda seem to realte to things now...

This just got weirder...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Slaytanic

thanks for that, back in 2009 they had a page, its still there just to upload their music

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

Just to add to the awesomeness that this thread has just became.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Water, in opposition to the stability of Earth, stands for inspiration, for creation, for giving birth to ideas, longings and hopes, for moving and for changing.Art also is said to need Water for inspiration, and is therefore dedicated to this element.Music is said to have originated from water...Rhyan Rego was the most inspiring people ive met.he wasn't delusional..he knew what he was doing.He took his art and music seriously.A great guy who was well connected with his element.

edit on 13-4-2011 by radicalR because: grammatical errors

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
As a lifelong Sabbath and DIO fan...awesome thread!

However, maybe it was under tow? It did say it was a notorious surf beach? Maybe the return to the sea was involuntary. I got dragged out once at Sandy Beach on Oahu.

Just sayin'.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Hey,

I was searching for any more news articles about Rhyan and found this. I was the drummer for Damage Tones and was pretty close to Rhyan. Cheers for posting this man, a few of us have been thinking about this a lot. I find it eerie to say the least.

I agree completely with RadicalR's post, Rhyan was very spiritual with his art and music. He was also a huge Black Sabbath fan which could explain where "We are but children of the sea" came from.. Doesn't make it any less weird though. I don't know them off by heart so i'll try to find the lyrics for some of our songs as well as a new song which had yet to be rehearsed with the band. When you read them.. You'll # cinder blocks.

And to clear up any confusion he was not delusional, mental, suicidal or an idiot. Out of all the people I know he would have to be the one LEAST likely to be any of these. Muriwai has very strong undertow currents because of the shape of the beach, long and flat. So when a wave breaks it flows all the way up the sand and then rushes back out causing a strong pulling current even though it is shallow. Even when you're only knee-deep it pulls hard, sometimes you have to lean against the current to avoid falling over. So I would bet both my nuts that he was taken involuntarily.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

edit on 13-4-2011 by DRphil because: wrong url

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Maybe he was influenced not only by Children of the Sea by Black Sabbath. But he could have been further influenced by The Thing That Should Not Be.

Messenger of Fear in sight
Dark deception kills the light
Hybrid children watch the sea
Pray for Father, roaming free

fearless Wretch
insanity
He watches
lurking beneath the sea
great Old One
forbidden site
He searches
Hunter of the Shadows is rising
immortal
in madness You dwell

Crawling Chaos, underground
cult has summoned, twisted sound
Out from ruins once possessed
fallen city, living death

fearless Wretch
insanity
He watches
lurking beneath the sea
timeless sleep
has been upset
He awakens
immortal
in madness You dwell

Not dead which eternal lie
stranger eons Death may die
drain you of your sanity
face The Thing That Should Not Be

fearless Wretch
insanity
He watches
lurking beneath the sea
great Old One
forbidden site
He searches
immortal
in madness You dwell.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DRphil

That was the night i was there! the Emergenza battle of the bands!! I fully wreckon you guys should have won, the black dahlias were #!!!

Where did his obsession with the ocean start do you know>?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
@KingLeoric: No offense, but he was definitely not a fan of Metallica...

@grindhouzer: Cheers man. Well the Black Dahlias were polished but the competition seemed a bit rigged, we weren't commercial enough or something. It was still a great night and the most pumping gig we've ever played.

I'm not too sure about the first picture but the second and third are part of an assignment called "Strange Religion". He was exploring the similarities between Maori and Indian cultures and the mutual respect they both share for the ocean and it's use in narrative. From there I guess he developed more interest in the ocean and found it to be a good source for inspiration. The fourth picture Is quite old (about 2 years I think).

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
@ DR Phil:Hey do you have a recording of Evil woman?...i heard rhyan sing this and loved it..but i dont see it on any of your sites or in any facebook page.

edit on 19-4-2011 by radicalR because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join