It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A great teacher passes - Prof Stephen Watson.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Been a long time since I saw the Professor, but his passing from cancer touched me deeply.
A great soul of South African poetry and literature has passed.
My love and condolences to his wife and family.
book.co.za...
en.wikipedia.org...
southafrica.poetryinternationalweb.org...
edit on 12-4-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
A fond memory:
book.co.za...

I first met Stephen Watson many years ago in, of all places, the Pig and Whistle in Rondebosch. A group of writers would gather there some Fridays for lunch. Stephen had a copy of Czeslaw Milosz’s Bells in Winter which he’d just bought. I’d not read Milosz so he insisted I take the book home. There was one poem in that collection that for me would become a description of Stephen: ‘Stalking a deer, I wandered deep into the mountains and from there I saw.’ I spent a brief few minutes with Stephen last Monday. He quoted two lines from Bertolt Brecht: ‘I do not like the place I have come from./ I do not like the place I am going to.’ There was a fierce light in his eyes. In the end we have Stephen’s poetry: ‘We know/ what my grandfather knew:/ that all people/ become spirit people/ when dead, / that their powers live on/ long after their death.’ The last stanza of The Powers of the Dead from Return of the Moon – Versions from the /Xam. – Mike Nicol

edit on 12-4-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

join