It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHAMEFUL Censorship...I Helped Raise $15,000 for Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I posted a thread a few hours ago about an event I was blessed to be a part of this past weekend to raise money for those suffering in Japan, (an art exhibit/benefit- Dallas is 'sister-cities' with Sendai- so we felt a special call to reach out to help them) and I am APPALLED to see that a Mod deleted part of my post as well as the link to a YouTube video montage I made showing the artwork and pictures from the event.
I Helped Raise $15,000 (and counting) for JAPAN this weekend!

The Mod apparently felt it was "activist recruiting" (I was referred to this thread):
ATS and Activism

My intention in posting about this event was primarily to share something positive and encouraging with my fellow ATS'ers, and to inspire others to think bigger (I know a lot of us feel helpless regarding the situation in Japan, and what we can do to help) and if interested to check out our site as we have a few pieces of artwork available that did not sell at the Benefit.

ALL- and I mean EVERY SINGLE PENNY- of the money raised at this event, is going straight to Japan...primarily for food/water/medical treatment.

And if ATS Mods think this is some sort of biased-agenda/deviant activism or that I'm profiting from sharing this information, SHAME ON THEM. I've been a lurker on this site for years, and an active member (very active) for over 6 months, and I'm personally offended by this.

I guess it's just a classic case of 'NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED'
But I have to admit, this has really made me think a lot less of ATS.
I, personally, had NOTHING to gain from sharing this information- the only ones that would benefit are those suffering in Japan.
DENY IGNORANCE?!? Yet they censor one of the RARE positive threads on this site?!?! COME ON! Despicable, seriously.......
Breaks my heart

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The thread is still in that forum/

www.abovetopsecret.com...

ETA I didnt see they removed your video. Im sure they have there reasons.
edit on 12-4-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I don't think that they acted in such a way as to intentionally target you and your event. However the rules of the forum are in place to protect all ATS members from INTENTIONAL deceptions by people looking to scam you out of your money. It is unfortunate that you feel that you were belittled, but I'm sure that the mods were acting in the best interest of the site and in no way were intending to shut you down.

Congradulations on the event and for actually doing something to help others instead of just sitting back and complaining about it like everyone else.

The rules of the forum are not bias towards the individual, they have to be fair across the board, good luck with the remainder of your paintings.

King

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Yeah- they didn't delete the thread entirely (which doesn't make much sense to me- they only deleted a small section of my text and the youtube link, which is simply a montage of pictures from the event/the artwork)

I'm proud of our hard work and felt compelled to share the good news...
Just wanted to inspire and bring hope to those of us around the world who desperately want to help those suffering in Japan, and yet feel like there's nothing we can really do...

John Mayer said it perfectly:

Me and all my friends,
We're all misunderstood.
They say we stand for nothing and
There's no way we ever could.

Now we see everything that's going wrong
With the world,
and those who lead it.
We just feel like we don't have the means,
To rise above and beat it.

It's hard to beat the system,
When we're standing at a distance.
It's not that we don't care,
We just know that the fight ain't fair.
So we keep on waiting...
Waiting on the world to change.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I made that video SPECIFICALLY so I could share it here on ATS- SPENT HOURS ON IT!
I understand their rules on spamming/scamming and the like...but this was NOTHING of the sort.
I wasn't promoting our sponsors.
I wasn't promoting specific artists (nor my own as MY PIECES sold at the event).
I wasn't promoting anyone who has anything to gain financially whatsoever!
I wasn't trying to "recruit activists" for my specific cause.
I simply said if anyone was interested in purchasing/donating artwork, to check out the link; and specifically stated my intention of the thread:
"I hope that this will inspire you to do something in your city to help- even if you're thousands of miles away, it's amazing what you can accomplish when you set your mind on it.
WE LOVE YOU JAPAN!"

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I opened the 'ATS and Activism' Thread.
It started out as seeming ok, until I read the 2nd sentence.

Were we to endorse a cause or position we instantly become opposed to its counter position. In doing that we lose that side of the issue's representation here.

What could possibly be a counter position to raising money for those who are desperately in need, during extremely harsh times of trouble?

a video of art was removed

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U!!!!
My thoughts EXACTLY!
ugh...very frustrating...but I'm glad I'm not the only one who is puzzled...

***ETA***
And the only reason I mentioned the group of artists- Just Us League (it's not an organization- or EVEN A CLUB!- We are just a group of local artists/friends that get together to collaborate on art projects and stuff...)
and the link to the website for the event was TO GIVE CREDIT- ya know, citing my source!
Damned if you do, damned if you don't it seems...
edit on 12-4-2011 by ltinycdancerg because: Edit to add

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

Yeah, I just watched the video, and thought it may have been because of the website at the end, but that still doesn't make much sense to me.

It may not mean much, but I can say I did enjoy your video, and I probably wouldn't have seen it, if it wasn't for this thread.

Put on my detective hat,,,,,&Hmmmm......ATS Con......click click click.....& there it was...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Thank you for that! I really appreciate it!
And yeah (about the link at the end)- I also think it's a stretch for them to delete it based on that!
Again- aren't we supposed to GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE?
I feel like their judgement in this case is extremely questionable- and if one applies the same reasoning to all threads on this site, then it seems to me that a very large portion of them should be edited, if not deleted all together...in other words- for example- anytime someone posts a personal YouTube video, are they not just promoting their own YouTube channel (even if there is no monetary gain)?

(BTW- Did you do a YouTube search to find it?)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If you have an issue with a staff action, you need to use the COMPLAINT FORM or contact the specific staff member via PRIVATE MESSAGE.

That is the quickest method of resolution and protects member privacy instead of requiring the mods to address personal member issues in public, therefore resulting in an off topic discussion challenging the terms and conditions or embarrassment for the member.

Please redirect all discussion to the previous thread.

Thank you. Thread closed.

Also, for future reference:

This forum is for members to engage in heated tirades about topics that really infuriate them. It is not intended to be a place to complain or attack other members.

edit on 4/12/2011 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

top topics

join