It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mouthwash linked to cancer ..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Here we go... full article :
www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

Their review, published in the Dental Journal of Australia, concludes there is now ``sufficient evidence'' that "alcohol-containing mouthwashes contribute to the increased risk of development of oral cancer''.

The ethanol in mouthwash is thought to allow cancer-causing substances to permeate the lining of the mouth more easily and cause harm.

Acetaldehyde, a toxic by-product of alcohol that may accumulate in the oral cavity when swished around the mouth, is also believed to be carcinogenic.

Mouthwash is one of the fastest-growing grocery products in Australia, with the category now worth more than $75 million, according to latest Nielsen market research.

Lead review author ProfessorMichael McCullough has told The Sunday Telegraph alcohol-containing mouthwash should be reclassified as prescription-only and carry written health warnings.

Prof McCullough, chair of the ADA's therapeutics committee and associate professor of oral medicine at the University of Melbourne, is calling on the ADA to urgently re-assess its seal of approval on mouthwashes containing alcohol.

A Brazilian study has also found regular mouthwash use is associated with oral cancer regardless of alcohol or tobacco consumption.

edit on 11-4-2011 by romka71 because: forget something

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Good post! something ive always wondered, and was suspiscous of. Currently, i use listerine, the green one. its something like 26% alcohol. im a havy smoker too..and it takes that icky smoke smell away after brushing, leaves mouth feeling fresh n clean. but doubt its really safe. it does have FD&C green in it..im under the assumption that means its a synthetic dye, derived from petroleum..petroleum is carrcinogenic, over long term exposure.
sometimes i use toms of maine mothwash. its really smooth, alcohol free, but dosnt leave the extra freshness behind. but its 8 times more natural n better for you than listerine.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I was told in the UK years ago by my private dentist - not to use Mouth Washes as they cause cancer!

I also gave this guy and other dentists hundreds and hundreds pounds over the years in the hope of saving my teeth. I took all their advise, brushed my teeth twice daily, I hardly ever have sweet foods (just not my taste) and visited Dentist every 6 month where I also had a professional clean.

I still kept losing teeth.

Since leaving the UK and no longer able to afford expensive dental care, I have for the last few years brushed my teeth with WATER ONLY and three times a week with Colloidal Silver.

I haven't visited a dentist in 4 years now. I have all the teeth I had when I left the UK. No toothache or decay of any sort. One of my teeth became sensitive which is why I started using the Colloidal Silver and this cured it.

I have no problems with my mouth or teeth any more and I am a lot richer for it.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I suffer from terminal lung disease - during a routine visit to the hospital in Australia last year, my Doc ran through what I ate and my 'daily routine' etc - I mentioned that I use mouth wash, I was stunned at his reply,
"Mate, that stuff will kill you long before your lung disease. Get rid of it."

Oz

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Everything is linked to cancer nowadays, I seriously think that they just make this crap up.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
You brush your teeth with collodial silver?> is that safe????

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
safe silver?
well, the teeth are sharp on the colloidal silver...

not to mention the flouride

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
There has been evidence for a long time linking heavy alcohol consumption to a host of mouth, throat and stomach issues including cancer.

If you believe that evidence it'd be pretty stupid to think that swishing 40 proof everyday, sometimes twice or more a day, wouldn't produce those same issues.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

It's completely safe, you should google it - the natural silver we USED to get from the earth in our food has now all been depleted and most people are short of this mineral in their systems. Check it out. I use it for all kinds.

You can do your own test with it (If you can get it) spray your flowers with it (but only half) and you will see which ones last longer (much longer)

Get a much longer shelf life from your fruit and veg by spraying it.

Completely cure ear infections in humans and animals with it.

Check it out!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Not my mouth wash!

PerioWash

edit on 11-4-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

Here's the link: www.realcolloidalsilver.com...

You will also find scare stories which originate from the PTB but I can speak for myself and have found it to be a wonder drug, I'm also going to start making my own before they ban it. (now why would they want to do that)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this, really. I use a lot of mouthwash as I am a smoker and I like to smell pretty all the time but this rather scares me. I am definitely going to look into it more but no harm in switching to a NA mouthwash in the meantime. There are plenty of those too.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by romka71

Wow! What can we say about that growing need for mouth rinsing? Perhaps there is a related connection?

As a matter of fact, there is, can anyone guess what it is?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
mmmmm
Caannccer

That should be their slogan.
With Homer Simpson saying it.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
This just in, the government says critical thinking will cause cancer. Better let them take one for the team for you.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I feel like there isnt a product out there that somehow cant be linked to something bad

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
you can link anything to cancer these days.. even your grandma

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Everything is linked to cancer nowadays, I seriously think that they just make this crap up.

That's how I feel. Every day there's an article that something or other increases your risk of cancer.

As for the silver thing. I remember doing a lab in microbiology where we put silver of some sort on a petri dish with some sort of bacteria on it to find that the area treated with the silver was devoid of bacteria. I seem to recall that silver has antibacterial properties. Well... So does alcohol. It's why it's in mouthwash.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
No one has picked up on my unstated suggestion for the increase in throat/mouth cancer which supposedly correlates with the increased use of mouthwash.

The increase in oral sex is directly related to increased throat/mouth cancers. And those cancers can relate to typical genital cancers. I can draw pictures to make this clearer, but....

Question: Why are alcoholics not so strangely effected to a huge degree?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I sorta wondered about this. As a general rule, any time cell production increases, the risk for cancer increases. Mouthwash helps kill the germs as well as some human cells.

Maybe they'll have to add a safety label.

top topics

join