It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Footage of possible UFO over L.A - 1942 - News Clip

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

A "UFO" Or is it ?
All the gunners could see was flashes of something as the lights tried to search the sky.
Unlike today, anti aircraft fire in 1942 was very much a hit or miss proposition. The proximity fuse wasn't developed and fielded until about 2 years later so the fuses used were timed or set for altitude. Both methods relied on the experience of the gunner to set the fuse.
Since anti aircraft gunnery wasn't in existance until late in WW1, over 20 years prior to this event, there was a real shortage of practiced gunners around.

Barrage Balloons were large blimb shaped balloons designed to block aircraft from holding a straight course and dropping bombs accurately. They had multiple air bags inside them to alow for control of how high they drifted, and how tight the tether cable was, while still getting full inflation. A balloon handled by men for example would have less lift than one tethered to a truck. The balloons were designed to stand multiple hits before deflating so as to remain effective as long as possible.

Using the ammunition of the day, and assuming that most shells, and shrapnel, passed through the air bags with little more than small holes to show for it, the balloon would have just slowly lost lift and settled to the ground. By design it would have held it's shape to the last.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
It wasn't a battle. I wished people stopped calling it that. It was an incident. The Los Angeles Incident.

Or to make it sound cooler "The 1942 incident"

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
It wasn't a battle. I wished people stopped calling it that. It was an incident. The Los Angeles Incident.

Or to make it sound cooler "The 1942 incident"

Shoots fired, it's not an incident. it's a battle, plain and simple!
I'm going to see if i can dig up some declassified information on this. I'm sure this has been posted before, not that news clip though!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Funny i saw this on ATS the other day. Might apply to here.

theageofvolcanoes.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by prodomino

The 'expert' at the end of the clip is SO clearly a disinformation agent.
All that flak and no damage? This is for sure a "capital U, capital F, capital O" scenario..what a crock.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjsmi2
Funny i saw this on ATS the other day. Might apply to here.

theageofvolcanoes.files.wordpress.com...

hahaha. i like that

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

I like the "Los Angeles Incident" better!
Hopefully it wasn't an attempt at first contact

Throwing ton after ton of lead and steel at someone is surely not a good way to make a nice first impression.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
reply to post by Jepic

I like the "Los Angeles Incident" better!
Hopefully it wasn't an attempt at first contact

Throwing ton after ton of lead and steel at someone is surely not a good way to make a nice first impression.

LMFAO, could you imagine, that would have sure made us look bad if it was.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
VERY cool find! i love how the military fires and ' shoots to kill!!! ' then later to say this is a weather balloon. what baffoons. great stuff

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by steven704
VERY cool find! i love how the military fires and ' shoots to kill!!! ' then later to say this is a weather balloon. what baffoons. great stuff

Not really a find, kind of a wide spread video! Still damn cool footage. and i've never seen this news-clip in my life so i figured i would share it.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Well at least they just left instead of killing us all and glassing this rock

God knows I'd be a bit peeved if I traveled incalculable distances to say hello and got a hand to the face.
Good thing E.T. wants us for something instead of just dead, I guess.
That's actually something that bothers me the most about extraterrestrial visitation; if they were truly benevolent, they would help us save us from ourselves (and don't give that 'prime directive' crap, if it exists they've already broken it.).
If they were out to kill us it would be a no-contest slaughter. Anyone who can travel on an interstellar/interdimensional scale would have myriad ways to end the human race without suffering a single casualty.

So, logically, that leaves two options: 1. Simply put, Observation. 2.They want something from us, either biologically or spiritually. THAT I don't like, but I guess it beats orbital bombardment!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

lol, good to see our very own Jim Oberg on there denying everything as usual...

Yep, all the witnesses are now dead so it's all hearsay..
All the hundreds of civilian and military witnesses in a heavily populated area that saw something hover for ages and take 1500 rounds of ant aircrat shells before flying away..

JO credibility actual dropped IMO and that's coming from a low start point..

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

post by prodomino
Shoots fired, it's not an incident. it's a battle, plain and simple!

A battle requires shots fired by both sides , the object did not respond to the shots fired at it so it's not a battle .... plain and simple! .

This has been recently discussed with Photo analysis by Dr. Bruce Maccabee .
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

lol, good to see our very own Jim Oberg on there denying everything as usual...

Yep, all the witnesses are now dead so it's all hearsay..
All the hundreds of civilian and military witnesses in a heavily populated area that saw something hover for ages and take 1500 rounds of ant aircrat shells before flying away..

JO credibility actual dropped IMO and that's coming from a low start point..

hahaha, honestly I dont deny everything. I just look at both sides, i actually run a UFO conspiracy site that regulars around 4000 people a day.

Just have to keep an open mind about every subject and look at key points.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
No, there are hundreds of witnesses still alive and they get together every year to commemorate the event. I made a brief documentary on this over a year ago and even called one or two of them.

I think the word 'Battle' slipped into the terminology because everyone believed initially they were targetting the Japanese - just the night before (and I'm trying to remember solely from the sieve that is my memory) Ellwood Port (?) had been torpedoed by a Japanese Submarine (yes the American mainland has been attacked before). The official explanation which came out later (A blimp or weather balloon) just doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Especially when you examine the wind directions for that evening.

Very few people mention or realise that this 'craft' was seen next day by the Dutch Vessel Tromp. It tends to get overlooked.

Oz
edit on 11-4-2011 by Ozscot because: It was Ellwood not Ellesmere

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

I was talking about Jim Oberg mate, not you..
He was the expert consultant in your clip..
Expert skeptic more like it...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ozscot
No, there are hundreds of witnesses still alive and they get together every year to commemorate the event. I made a brief documentary on this over a year ago and even called one or two of them.

I think the word 'Battle' slipped into the terminology because everyone believed initially they were targetting the Japanese - just the night before (and I'm trying to remember solely from the sieve that is my memory) Ellwood Port (?) had been torpedoed by a Japanese Submarine (yes the American mainland has been attacked before). The official explanation which came out later (A blimp or weather balloon) just doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Especially when you examine the wind directions for that evening.

Very few people mention or realise that this 'craft' was seen next day by the Dutch Vessel Tromp. It tends to get overlooked.

Oz
edit on 11-4-2011 by Ozscot because: It was Ellwood not Ellesmere

People always overlook information like that. There is a reason for it, we wouldn't be able to call it what it is.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

I was talking about Jim Oberg mate, not you..
He was the expert consultant in your clip..
Expert skeptic more like it...

I thought you where calling me him, because of my follow up post under the video LMAO

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Here is a great quote from the footage - When it was at first claimed this LA sighting was a weather balloon this guy says "If they can't bring down a weather balloon with 15,000 rounds of anti aircraft shrapnel, 12 pound weaponry what are we gonna do against a real enemy target?" He gets the snappy comeback prize.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
Here is a great quote from the footage - When it was at first claimed this LA sighting was a weather balloon this guy says "If they can't bring down a weather balloon with 15,000 rounds of anti aircraft shrapnel, 12 pound weaponry what are we gonna do against a real enemy target?" He gets the snappy comeback prize.

LOL yes he does for sure.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join