It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gunman kills five and wounds 11 at Dutch shopping centre

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Gunman kills five and wounds 11 at Dutch shopping centre

www.guardian.co.uk

At least five people have died at a shopping centre outside Amsterdam after a gunman opened fire with an automatic weapon before killing himself.

There were also at least 11 people wounded during the attack at the Ridderhof mall in the suburb of Alphen aan den Rijn, 15 miles (25km) southwest of Amsterdam.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Just heard about this, did a search and didn't find it already posted.

In keeping with "mass murder season," we've had Rio and now Amsterdam.

Of course, in the past, we've had Columbine, VA Tech, OK City Bombing, Waco, The Bosnian War, The Rwandan Genocide, The American Revolution, The American Civil War, MLK Assassinated, Lincoln Assassinated.

April is "mass murder season."

www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
ye..nearly same insane story like the one in brasil...

weird

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
damn, people are losing their minds all over the place ,, with the world as it is today dont be surprised to hear more stories like this one and the one in RIO poping up...

people have had it for whatever reason ....

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
But this shouldn't have happened there since guns are illegal, right?
This is why everyone who can own a firearm should have one and carry it.
I do, and if I ever find myself in that kind of situation at least I have a chance of stopping them.
My sympathies go out to all the victims, this is a horrible tragedy but it wasn't unavoidable.
When everyone is disarmed this kind of thing can happen anywhere, anytime.
So how does someone get a hold of a machine gun in the Netherlands anyway?
Very, very saddening.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This is sad

Those shocking stories remind me of that movie.

Rampage

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I do, and if I ever find myself in that kind of situation at least I have a chance of stopping them.
My sympathies go out to all the victims, this is a horrible tragedy but it wasn't unavoidable.
Very, very saddening.

Guns are illegal here in norway too but we do get the once in a blue moon maniac who goes on a shooting spree it can happen anywhere for any reason .. and why that is is because the world is so screwed up everywhere and people are not getting their basic needs met etc so they go on mass killing sprees .....

sad but true .

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Another sad tale involving a pathetic man with a gun murdering innocent people.
This sad story brings back memories of a girl that i went to school with that got shot and killed in a gun rampage at a shopping centre at Strathfield, NSW ,Oz about 20 years ago. Its sad how the world hasnt changed.

I cannot even start to contemplate what drives a man to commit such a cowardly act as this. But no matter what his excuse is, well..... it aint an excuse. Any man that commits an act as disgusting as this is rubbish and should be disposed of

My heart weeps for the victims and their families

edit on 9-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Shooter identified as Tristan van der Vlis, 24 or 25. He shot and killed his mother before the rampage at the mall, father was also shot and is wounded.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Allright, I'm from The Netherlands and it's a pretty big item here now. It is extremely hard to get weapons (and especially automatic ones) here, and it's almost unimaganable to Dutch standards what happend today.

To be honest it's a bit frightening, it could have happened anywere.

But I don't see the link between Amsterdam and Alphen aan de Rijn, 2 different citys???

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Is there any indication there was a second gunman?

For example in this news item?
"Het Openbaar Ministerie sluit 'honderd procent uit' dat er een tweede dader of schutter betrokken was bij de schietpartij in Alphen aan den Rijn. Dat heeft de gemeente laten weten via Twitter. Er deden speculaties de ronde dat dit wel het geval zou zijn."

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Very, very saddening.

I hate to rain on your little pro gun parade, but according to the news here in Holland, the gunman was a member of a firing range/club and owned licenses for 5 guns. At this time it is currently unclear as to whether or not he used any of his own legally owned guns in the shooting.

EDIT: Here's a link in English for those that can't speak Dutch.

Shopping centre shooting death toll reaches seven, gunman was local Saturday 09 April 2011 The gunman who shot dead seven people and injured 16 in a shopping centre in the town of Alphan aan den Rijn on Saturday has been identified as 24-year-old Tristan van der Vlis. Van der Vlis turned a gun on himself after spraying the shopping centre with bullets on a busy Saturday lunch time, sending shoppers fleeing in panic. According to the Telegraaf, Van der Vlis was known to the police in connection with illegal weapons and was a member of a gun club. He had a permit for five guns, the Telegraaf said.

www.dutchnews.nl...

EDIT 2: And just to answer your other question on how one can come about owning an automatic weapon ion the Netherlands:

Netherlands Dutch gun law is typical of the Western European approach. Firearm possession is not subject to any constitutional protections, but regulated simply in the Arms and Ammunition Act (Wet Wapens en Munitie). Weapons, including firearms, are divided into four categories, and for each of the categories a certain maximum punishment is set for "voorhanden hebben" (possession), and "dragen" (carrying in public). Only citizens who are hunters, members of shooting sports clubs or legitimate collectors may obtain licenses for firearms. In the case of shooting club members they will get a license for category III weapons (a firearms category which includes all non- full automatic firearms up to .50 cal.). Possession is generally limited to 5 firearms per license. Collectors may obtain a license for any category of firearm, including full automatic arms, but stringent rules apply to achieving collector status. There is no limit to the number of firearms a collector may obtain. Generally the collector license does not cover shooting these weapons. Sale/Use is only for those age 18 or over. There are a few dozen gunshops in the Netherlands. Gun ownership is extremely low with only three firearms per hundred people. Antique firearms are exempt from regulation, antique generally meaning all pre 1945 original muzzle loading firearms or firearms designed for black powder cartridges over .22 caliber, NOT being revolvers. Firearm possession and use by the military and the police is not subject to Arms and Ammunition Act, but regulated separately.[13]

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 9-4-2011 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Here is the profile of the "Columbine Client":

--Friends may notice abrupt changes in mood in the days and weeks before the shooting. He may have complained that lately he has experienced strange and vivid dreams of a violent nature.

--He will be dressed in all black and/or camoflage, oftentimes with a black trenchcoat.

--Eyewitnesses at the scene will say the shooter was 'like a robot,' or that there were a totally blank expression on his face.

--The media will paint him as a loner, but he will in fact have a circle of friends or be part of a clique.

--Extra ammo/guns/bombs will be found at his home and in his auto(this to 'close the circle' of guilt in the public's mind). The guns will have been legally acquired by the shooter or a close relative/neighbor. He will have brought an excessive quantity of ammunition to the scene. (This is so that, if he has 200rounds of ammo, people will think "Wow, he must have wanted to kill 200 people. What a nut!")

--Literature and/or videos about Adolph Hitler, Charles Manson(infamous American cult leader), or the Columbine killers will be found amongst his possessions.

--He will be computer-savvy, and likely left an online presence. He may have left some kind of manifesto, though it will be incomprehensible/nonsensical for the most part. He will have hinted at what he had planned, but the name of the target itself will not be mentioned. A complete record of what he communicated, and with who, on his computer will NOT be released.

--He will probably have been a player of violent video games, and will have been a fan of violence-themed movies. He will have produced his own videos in which he is seen with his weapons or expressing his hatred and/or violence.

--He will have a strong interest in weapons--guns, knives, swords, bombs--or the military.

--He will have had contact with a military recruiter or he will have spent some time in the military before being seperated under murky circumstances.

--There is a good chance he will have been active in "Live Action Role Playing"(LARP) games. Especially one called "Vampire, the Masquerade." Or he will have been a player in "Airsoft"/paintball games.

--He will have been mentally "treated" at some point by a counselor, psychologist, or a psychiatrist. And this shrink will likely remain unidentified and will NEVER be interviewed, even though he is perhaps best positioned to tell us what the motive is. The shooter may also may have taken "anger management" sessions.

--He will have a history of taking SSRIs(selective seritonin reuptake inhibitors), often in combination with Ritalin(methylphenidate).

--There is some likelihood that he was institutionalized or hospitalized at some point before the attack. At any rate there will gaps in the timeline where police cannot account for his whereabouts.

--He probably had some contact with the police/law enforcement before the shooting.

--He might have been involved with Satanism or other strange occultic-type religions.

--If he survived the assault, he will be unable to explain why he did what he did. He may claim that 'voices' in his head told him to do it. Or he may not even remember the act at all. But whether the shooter lives or dies, motive will always remain a mystery.

--He will NOT have acted alone. There is a good possibility others were shooting also; or at the very least others will have encouraged him and helped plan the attack and get weapons.

--Afterwards, the politicians will call for increased laws against gun ownership, more armed security personnel everywhere, and metal detectors at the school/mall.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
www.dutchnews.nl...
His mother is reported to have found a farewell letter in her home.

I thought the shooter killed his mother and wounded his father before the attack at the mall. Which is it?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by starviego

His mother is alive according to Fok!.
frontpage.fok.nl...
Use Google Translate to read it.
BTW, 24 years old, that's by today's Dutch standards a small child. The Dutch youth is in many ways very immature.
What have they done with that country to get him that far of?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

I heard about this just over an hour ago.... very strange things happening around the World.... I posted this on my thread:

Something strange is going on in this World.... i can't put my finger on it but the further we go.... the more weirder it gets... how many of these shootings have there been of late? Are people being Programmed to commit these acts or is it just randomness?

I have also just heard that a suicide note said : I've left bombs in three shopping centres.

news. sky.com

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Turns out he is ex-military? Could have something to do with it, not sure what though.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The mother and father are unharmed.
No english source

www.nos.nl

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

According to the link in my previous post not.
I wasn't in the army either but I have army stuff I wear from time to time like he did today.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
WARNING some shocking footage

The first guy you see, is the shooter according to eyewitnesses.

edit on 9-4-2011 by jvc86 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join