It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living in a Game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Before I start, no I don't actually subscribe to this theory. I just have a very vivid imagination as with most folks on here. But for anyone who's ever played RTS games such Command and Conquer or Age of Empires you should understand this explanation, hopefully. Here's a little background for those that are unfamiliar. I will use Command and Conquer as an example since I'm most familiar with it.

In Korea there is a fierce competition going on amongst otherwise ordinary people. The best gamers are sat in front of their own computer in one big room. The same game is run on every computer and each of the gamers in the room will create their own unique team. The lights dim and the multiplayer mayhem starts.

Each player begins to build their own empire with the player themselves acting as the dictator. They decide what to build, when to build, they order troops to attack and lay down defenses. They start with a central command center. From here they can train workers or slaves who learn the ability to build structures. When the worker is trained, he now has the ability to build basic structures to support and expand your newly founded "nation." Barracks, powers stations, supply depots are created. Soldiers and tanks come out next as the player begins to form his personal army.

As you continue collecting resources your knowledge improves as does your technology. Your soldiers will have bigger and stronger guns. Your tanks will have better armor and more robust firepower. Your jets will gain stealth ability and bunker busting missiles. After a while you will gain knowledge on how to build structures to train spies and send satellites into space to monitor your enemies. All the while you are commanding your workers to build and repair structures.

Now every player is going at his own pace, so some players will gain access to stealth bombers and laser guided missiles quicker then their competitors. Sometimes, two or more players become allies so they don't have to face their enemies alone. As time goes on the weaker players who collect fewer resources or spend them unwisely start getting into trouble. An opponent notices on his spy satellite that one of the players has no defense around his base but has a lot of nice buildings. He attacks with his army taking the opportunity.

edit on 8-4-2011 by robile because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The weaker player is destroyed or many times the stronger player takes over the resources and buildings and claims it as his own. This happens throughout the game and the players attack one another constantly. At the end there are two players left and they duel it out until only one is left. The whole process could take minutes to hours to even days but in the end one player comes out victorious.

So if you believe in aliens, would it be so hard to imagine that our world is one big video game? Imagine the next level RTS game; not artificial intelligence but human intelligence.

Someone, somewhere in the universe is sitting there with a bunch of others just like him. Each is assigned to his own country here on Earth. They are in a multiplayer battle for supreme world domination. They appoint leaders to watch over and monitor their citizens/workers. The citizens all have jobs that support the nations, be it to build structures or trade to make the nation more powerful financially. Resources are collected to fuel our cars as well as our military planes and tanks. Agencies such as NASA are set up to send satellites into space to monitor our enemies. The CIA sends spies all over the world to report back information to us.

Its all about who's the strongest nation in the world, who's evolving with technology faster. There are a lot of players in the world. Some are doing very well like the US, and some no so good like the Congo. There have been battles between nations throughout history and its usually because someone wants the others resources. America received many of German's patents and companies when they defeated them in WW2. With human intelligence instead of AI, the game's sophistication would be light years ahead of what we can buy today.

Now its coming down to that point where there are many nations who built up a solid arsenal over the years. A dozen or so countries have reached nuclear status, with a just a couple to a couple thousand nukes on hand. The players have taken a long time to build their nations, at least its seems long in human years.

So what is the next move?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
this has WHAT to do with aliens & UFO's?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Yea pretty much we do live in a giant game one way or another, it's been survival of the fittest for the last several billion years or so, eventually to lead to us. So if you want to look at constant competition as a game, then yea, your right!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
And why did you steal Slayers avatar!!

Oo

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Part about aliens is in the 2nd post.

reply to post by badw0lf

Huh?

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
i find it both sad and reassuring that it took a role playing game to teach you about real life....

Sad in it's irony. Here you sit, consumed by your game. A game more interesting than life outside of the game, while outside, the game itself is being created by LIFE.

You're going in circles my friend. A deadlocked pattern.

Reassuring because you're learning about real LIFE, one way or the other. By whatever means necessary i say. If it takes a game, so be it. But you're learning the hard way, and it's taking much too long.

It's not, "Oh SH*T, life is just like my game!!!"....it's, "Oh SH*T, this game is just like real life."

Open the window. The newest version of your game is out there.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OneEleven

Now now, no need to be rude!

What is a life experience if its not compared with something, that's how we learn isn't it?

How about you open the window and go for a walk rather than sitting on ATS all day criticizing peoples threads and comments all day and night.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
S&F

Best Thread Ever.

At the very least, this world is a playground for the elite. But even they answer to a 'higher power'...

I think its also likely that there is only ONE player controlling all the sides... for amusement.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Have often got inspiration from games when it comes to looking at things in a certain way. You're controlling your character but it's not really you, and everything you see around you, the other AI controlled chars, the environment, the whole thing is made up of exactly the same thing as your own char. It's just code from the same source and all the same thing, running off the same power source on the same machine. There's no real attachment to what's happening no matter how much you focus and try to do things properly, and even though you might see your char getting hurt, or other chars getting hurt, it's nothing but an illusion.

It can have a meaning, but at some point you have to turn the game off and start looking at what we call reality to try and transfer some of that inspiration into the real world. And of course you have to remember that it's just inspiration that can help you change your perception in certain ways. It's no good if you try and treat life too much like the game, or if your intentions aren't for the best.

This is one of the games that got me the most, a Japanese RPG that I spent well over 100 hours on, and still consider one of the greatest games ever.

Text from the trailer :

Call it what you will - a revelation from God, or a curse of the demon king. The fact remains that our world came to an end. A heretic called upon an unearthly light, and devastation ensued. Chaos crawled out of the depths of the ocean, from the black abyss. Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here.

A voice in the dark beguiles me. "Truth is a mystery, unravelled by the candles' flames."

from

The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World.

- - -

Amazing game, the main char is where my username is from too. Hito-Shura translates to Demi-Fiend. It's open ended so you get to choose your path through the game and how the world eventually turns out. You can side with Angels, Demons, one of the chars in the game with his own take on reality, or choose to make your own path and remain neutral.
edit on 8-4-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Very interesting concept...

To expand a little bit, just imagine if our reality is programmed something like a coded game. Now we would only be able to move within the coded area, and do the things that the code "allowed"...I almost think of physics as this "code". We can not really do anything outside of the laws of physics, unless we bypass them, or put in a "cheat code" hahaha.

On a little side note, when I was very young, and before I had video games, I used to think that I was controlling this body of mine from somewhere else...

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Since you have mastered the game of life it is probably futile to try to disagree with you. If you actually read my post however, you would see I am simply comparing the notion of alien lifeforms manipulating the human race for their own entertainment. Since it seems you've never played a video game before watch the ending of Men in Black. Sort of the same idea. But thanks for the speech old wise one.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by robile
If you actually read my post however, you would see I am simply comparing the notion of alien lifeforms manipulating the human race for their own entertainment.

We're probably a lot more than the plaything of other aliens. Maybe to a point, but I get the feeling that there's something a lot bigger watching over us that at least gives us our own chance to have a say in how things turn out.

Like, say, humans and aliens are all playing on the same server, but something a lot more powerful controls the server we're using, sees everything that happens, and will intervene if one or more parties decide to cheat.
edit on 8-4-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

A moderator watching over the players. If you think about our mind is a hard drive. Everything that you can think of right now is stored in your temp folder. There is easy access to it so its easy to remember. Then you have program files, which are all your skills. Some you use more than others. The other memories, your unconscious, is the other part of the drive that takes up space but you never know what or where those files are.
edit on 9-4-2011 by robile because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
All human vessels are alien avatars.

We have our memories wiped before being placed here, to make the experience more exciting & real.

It's all a game.

Go kill your neighbor. You won't be doing anything bad.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLegend
All human vessels are alien avatars.

We have our memories wiped before being placed here, to make the experience more exciting & real.

It's all a game.

Go kill your neighbor. You won't be doing anything bad.

And if that neighbor happens to be your mum?

Worst reply ever!

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Hah never seen it they are similar. Switched

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

reply to post by Hitoshura

A moderator watching over the players. If you think about our mind is a hard drive. Everything that you can think of right now is stored in your temp folder. There is easy access to it so its easy to remember. Then you have program files, which are all your skills. Some you use more than others. The other memories, your unconscious, is the other part of the drive that takes up space but you never know what or where those files are.
edit on 9-4-2011 by robile because: (no reason given)

Well said, especially seeing as you seemed to have managed to do that whilst turning into a cat since I last saw the thread! Me going on about my fave game back there was alcohol influenced too, was pretty out of it last night....surprised there's not a few typos back there anyway...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxfilesMulder

Now now, no need to be rude!

What is a life experience if its not compared with something, that's how we learn isn't it?

How about you open the window and go for a walk rather than sitting on ATS all day criticizing peoples threads and comments all day and night.

Hello...I am trying to help the kid, as always....what have you contributed? Ever?
You obviously do not have the +4 Dexterity or Level 7 armor plating required to play with me.

Since you have mastered the game of life it is probably futile to try to disagree with you. If you actually read my post however, you would see I am simply comparing the notion of alien lifeforms manipulating the human race for their own entertainment. Since it seems you've never played a video game before watch the ending of Men in Black. Sort of the same idea. But thanks for the speech old wise one.

You've got me pegged all wrong....I'm in my 30's...Of course i've played video games...Sure i've watched movies....
The difference is, i do not let them consume me, nor do i use them to form opinions on real life scenarios. Everything in moderation a wise man once said...
I've been to art museums as well, but Dali dosn't teach me about life. Life does.
Anyhow, good luck with it all. Hopefully, one day, a voice of reason will come along, and you'll listen.
If i've upset or insulted you, i apologize.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
yup....its called evolution and advancement...and im not trying to be rude towards you but it is a pointless thread...kids who watch the flintstones could have told us the same thing.

And to answer "what next"...we simpley carry on lol
edit on 9-4-2011 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join