It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

27th amendment needs to be ratified

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
In the process of reading about this government shutdown, i have seen many comments about how the congress and senate should not get paid during this shutdown. I completely 100 % agree, they deserve to feel the financial impact of there incompetence to get a budget passed. I then ran across info on the 27th amendment. Here is the link to read up on it. en.wikipedia.org...

The Twenty-seventh Amendment provides that any change in Congressional salaries may only take effect after the beginning of the next term of office for Representatives.

This essentially makes it illegal to change the amount of pay until a new election takes place. This is insane, no matter what happens they will always keep collecting thier paychecks, unless they get voted out, and even then they will collect a pension for the rest of thier lives. These people only care about us when its election time. For the rest of the time they could care less.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I too agree 100% with everything you just said. I have my suspicions, perhaps they are doing this in order to create some sort of unrest and rioting so as to implement Martial law. I must admit I havn't delved deep enough in this subject to make a more solid speculation though. However, I do know that something very very wrong and very fishy is going on.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
i agree. when the politicians are paid much higher than necessary then they wouldn't care less about us all they think off is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. They don't care if some law was successfully passed or not what matters that is money pouring in

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This amendment was first proposed back in 1789, but was not enacted until 1992. This is one amendment the founding fathers never should have proposed, and if they could see what the government has become I am sure they would agree with me. I really have no concept of politics before the 90's, it was at that time I was old enough to see and understand what was going on. Was it always this bad with the government being so hate filled and so bitter with each other that they can not get anything done. If any people can chime on this and let me know I would really appreciate it.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
In the process of reading about this government shutdown, i have seen many comments about how the congress and senate should not get paid during this shutdown. I completely 100 % agree, they deserve to feel the financial impact of there incompetence to get a budget passed. I then ran across info on the 27th amendment. Here is the link to read up on it. en.wikipedia.org...

The Twenty-seventh Amendment provides that any change in Congressional salaries may only take effect after the beginning of the next term of office for Representatives.

This essentially makes it illegal to change the amount of pay until a new election takes place. This is insane, no matter what happens they will always keep collecting thier paychecks, unless they get voted out, and even then they will collect a pension for the rest of thier lives. These people only care about us when its election time. For the rest of the time they could care less.

I do not agree that this amendment protects the paychecks of the people in congress. Surely the government workers who will not be getting their paychecks are not considered as having salaries that have changed. Rather they are having salaries that are simply not getting delivered due to there being no money. Therefore the amendment cannot have any effect on whether a congress person will get a paycheck before that of any other government employee!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
i would add that the federal expenses can not exeed the revenue of the fiscal year,

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by civilchallenger

I totally see where your coming from, and thank you for your post. I can honestly say I never looked at that way, but it does make total sense the way you put it.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
A minor clarification...you mean repealed right? Not ratified.....

On that. The amendment only modifies Article I, Section 6 reading "The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States", and does not replace the statement as does other amendments.

So even with a repeal of the 27th Amendment, Congress is still due compensation that differs from Federal employees. There is no bill that needs to pass to appropriate monies to pay Congress, only to set the pay levels and such.

The 27th Amendment was enacted to ensure that mid-stream, Congress doesn't decide they will take reduce pay for the upcoming Congress. It is a political safeguard to ensure say a Republican held congress does not reduce the pay of an upcoming Democrat held congress.

ETA: I hear ya. I wasn't riding your case and I assume most people will auto-correct, but then again, clarification is always needed.

edit on 9-4-2011 by ownbestenemy because: Response to OP

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Lol yes i mean repealed. Its been one of those nights, making a lot of stupid mistakes.

top topics

join