It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: "Cosmonauts Did Not See UFOs"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Even though many 'famous' stories, such as the Afanasyev sketch, are obvious clumsy media hoaxes, there are plenty of accounts worthy of interest. I'm most intrigued by Kovalyonok's 1980 report of a shape-changing cloud-like apparition below him -- curiously, he was flying over the top secret South African missile test range at Overberg at precisely that moment.

Soviet And Russian Cosmonauts Did Not See UFOs - Roscosmos

MOSCOW. April 8 (Interfax-AVN) - Neither Yury Gagarin, who performed the world's first manned orbital flight in 1961, nor other Soviet and Russian cosmonauts encountered unidentified flying objects (UFOs) during their space flights, Vitaly Davydov, deputy director of the Russian Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos), said.

"Documents describing the flight of Yury Alexeyevich Gagarin say nothing about any unidentified flying objects," he said.

Such topics have turned out to be journalists' speculation on most occasions, he said.

"I do not have objective information confirming that our cosmonauts have seen UFOs somewhere, either," Davydov said.

Davydov said that in the mid-1970s he served in the armed forces and was a member of a commission responsible for verifying reports about UFOs.

Similar commissions functioned in all of the branches of the Soviet Army at that time, he said.

Investigations conducted into every piece of such information confirmed that people "were simply unable to identify what they had seen with something objective," Davydov said.

As an example, Davydov referred to atmospheric phenomena that can be seen during rocket launches from the northern Plesetsk Cosmodrome, especially in the morning and in the evening during temperature swings in different layers of the atmosphere.

"Such pictures are really fantastic - all these flaming auroras, sparks and arrows flying no one knows where from," he said.

More details (in russian, alas) are given at www.interfax.ru...

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Ah Russia! The shining beacon of open, honest government without a single hint of a cover-up in its proud history.

I'm sorry, I'd take the ravings of a tin-hat wearing hobo claiming to get instructions from his pet poodle over anything said by a major government, let alone a Russian deputy director on the payroll =)

Peace

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Figured the OP would either provoke cricket chirps or shouts of "Disinfo!!!".

Wasn't wrong.

Extraordinary claims [Cosmonauts didn't see UFO's] require extraordinary evidence.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by draknoir2
Figured the OP would either provoke cricket chirps or shouts of "Disinfo!!!".

Wasn't wrong.

Extraordinary claims [Cosmonauts didn't see UFO's] require extraordinary evidence.

Well reality sucks, most people are here to get away from it

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Official: "Cosmonauts Lie!"

edit on 8-4-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
Official: "Cosmonauts Lie!"
:lol

I'm not sure that's a constructive escalation of the confrontation.

What I'm curious about is what this guy was doing on an official government panel,
an admission he slipped into his comments.

As is not widely known, I'm always eager to get space traver tales of anomalous observations because they could be indicators of spacecraft malfunction OR indicators of other human space/missile activity OR something even more interesting -- genuine anomalies.

Sadly, we are so drowned in noise from the "I-heart-spacejunk-UFOs" T-shirt crowd that useful signals may be camouflaged or drowned out.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Could that be true.

Because it seems to me that Cosmonaut Pavel Popovich say in this video that he did saw a flying triangle shaped object once, even together with many other witnesses.
He said “it was like nothing I’ve ever seen”, so it must have been a UFO then in my opinion.
But because I do not speak Russian, I hope that someone who can is able to confirm that the English translation is correct.

Posted by eeasynow.
Soviet Cosmonaut- Pavel Popovich UFO incident

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It could be simply word-play as well. If they know what the said objects are/were; then they are not really Unidentified Flying Objects.

Seems like a silly thing to do, but it is like your mind saying no but your body saying yes.

I see nothing wrong with a little bump and grind.

~Quest

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Not meaning to pester you, Oberg, but with your extensive knowledge of the Soviet space efforts, and, I'm sure of some inside tracks into the US side, also, I'm puzzled why you act like this fellow's utterances would be news to you. After all, do you discount all of what various cosmonauts and austronauts have said about these strange objects that they see? (Rhetorical question only.)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Not meaning to pester you, Oberg, but with your extensive knowledge of the Soviet space efforts, and, I'm sure of some inside tracks into the US side, also, I'm puzzled why you act like this fellow's utterances would be news to you. After all, do you discount all of what various cosmonauts and austronauts have said about these strange objects that they see? (Rhetorical question only.)

While, rhetorical or not -- which means you have no intention of listening to my answer -- I'll answer it for those who may be curious and genuinely open-minded.

Regarding the stories of astronauts and cosmonauts seeing UFOs in space, my professional and personal associations and my actual investigations (instead of seeing it on TV and instantly believing it) demonstrates to my satisfaction that most of the stories are bogus -- fabricated by UFO promoters to excite the gullible, not from the real astronauts themselves -- while some others are interesting perceptions of ordinary spaceflight activities (of humans!) and a few suggest some unknown phenomena, probably atmospheric in nature but worth checking.

Don't believe any single source. Check around. Otherwise, if you keep swallowing -- and defending -- the bogus stuff so easily, they'll keep feeding it to you.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soltari
Ah Russia! The shining beacon of open, honest government without a single hint of a cover-up in its proud history.

I'm sorry, I'd take the ravings of a tin-hat wearing hobo claiming to get instructions from his pet poodle over anything said by a major government, let alone a Russian deputy director on the payroll =)

Peace

Had the exact same source claimed that cosmonauts DID see UFO's the S&F's would have come pouring in.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacevisitor

Could that be true.

Because it seems to me that Cosmonaut Pavel Popovich say in this video that he did saw a flying triangle shaped object once, even together with many other witnesses.
He said “it was like nothing I’ve ever seen”, so it must have been a UFO then in my opinion.
But because I do not speak Russian, I hope that someone who can is able to confirm that the English translation is correct.

Posted by eeasynow.

I'm from Moscow and i can confirm, that english translation is correct.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercedes-Benz

Could that be true.

Posted by eeasynow.

I'm from Moscow and i can confirm, that english translation is correct.

Thanks for your reply Mercedes-Benz, I really appreciate that you did take the time to check that out.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Just bump this very interesting thread.

Here is another example of what seems to me that another Russian Cosmonaut did see a UFO even in space, despite that the OP [who even explain himself in this video all kind of things that are been seen in space] said that it is according to this site www.interfax.ru... that is now official that "Cosmonauts Did Not See UFOs".
So unless they have translated what Victor Afanasyev said here deliberately wrong, it seems to me that this is another example of a Russian Cosmonaut seeing a UFO even in space.

Van: jublywubly | Gemaakt op: 30 jun 2009
This video has some interesting information about Russian Cosmonaut UFO sightings

Sightings Russian Cosmonaut UFO sightings

edit on 10/4/11 by spacevisitor because: did some adding

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by spacevisitor

According to his bio his first space flight wasn't until 1990.

EXPERIENCE: 1970 to 1976 served in the Air Force fighting troops as a pilot, senior pilot and aircraft flight commander. 1976 to 1977 attended the Test Pilot Training Center. 1977 to 1988 served as a test pilot and senior test pilot at the State Research/Test Institute named after Valery Chkalov. Victor Afanasyev has a Class 1 military test pilot certification. He has logged over 2000 flight hours in more than 40 different aircraft.

GCTC EXPERIENCE: 1985 to 1987 Victor Afanasyev was taking basic space training course at the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center on the part-time training basis. He reported to the GCTC and proceeded to advanced training in 1988. From February 1989 on Afanasyev was training for a space flight aboard the Mir orbital station as the Mir-7 mission backup crew commander. He has logged 175 flight days during his first space flight (December 2, 1990 to May 26, 1991) as the Mir-8 mission crew commander. The mission program included joint flight with a Japanese and British crewmember. He performed 4 EVAs totaling 20 hours and 55 minutes.

www.jsc.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

So unless they have translated what Victor Afanasyev said here deliberately wrong, it seems to me that this is another example of a Russian Cosmonaut seeing a UFO even in space.

Agreed. It's either -- or.

And when you check every factual claim made on this program about his spaceflight, it's wrong.

When you search the Russian-language media for any report in Russia quoting a claim by him about seeing a UFO, you find nothing.

When the target audience of hyper-credulous eager-believers, of which you are the poster child, can't even -- or doesn't want to -- make the simplest factual verification effort, they will keep feeding you this silliness, because it's what you pay for.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by spacevisitor

hey spacevisitor

The story could be true but it also could be counter-intelligence dis-info that was purposely included in the video to discredit the other Cosmonaut sightings and cases. You should take a look at this thread for more information about how the government uses Tv, movies and other media to influence the publics perception of the UFO subject.

So it's very possible the segment with Afanasyev on the Sightings Tv show is part of a dis-info roller-coaster ride and Jim has grabbed his bullhorn and jumped in the front seat !

edit on 11-4-2011 by easynow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Jim, what's your explanation for the 1942 LA incident ?

That one has fascinated me..
Thousands of rounds fired at an object and thousands of witnesses..

BTW is there an english version of that link you posted?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Agreed. It's either -- or.

And when you check every factual claim made on this program about his spaceflight, it's wrong.

Oke, then you are right in this case.

When you search the Russian-language media for any report in Russia quoting a claim by him about seeing a UFO, you find nothing.

I am glad I understand some English, but the Russian-language is much too difficult for me.

When the target audience of hyper-credulous eager-believers, of which you are the poster child, can't even -- or doesn't want to -- make the simplest factual verification effort, they will keep feeding you this silliness, because it's what you pay for.

Oke, so what is your opinion then on the first video I posted?
Mercedes-Benz was so kind to check it out and confirms that the English translation from what Cosmonaut Pavel Popovich said there is right.

edit on 11/4/11 by spacevisitor because: did some adding

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by easynow

The story could be true but it also could be counter-intelligence dis-info that was purposely included in the video to discredit the other Cosmonaut sightings and cases. You should take a look at this thread for more information about how the government uses Tv, movies and other media to influence the publics perception of the UFO subject.

Hi easynow, always a pleasure to see you around.
Thanks for the link and the video, I go check it out.

Originally posted by easynow

So it's very possible the segment with Afanasyev on the Sightings Tv show is part of a dis-info roller-coaster ride

That is indeed possible, but you know, we had many years back the Sightings TV show in Holland and because my English was really very bad then, I did entirely rely on the translation [the subtitel] assuming then that it was correct.
Too bad I could not find a video wherein you hear him speak, because I am still curious to what he really said there.

edit on 11/4/11 by spacevisitor because: Made some corrections and did some adding

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join