It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Dream? 2 Jobs = $10,080 /yr

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Find something you like, the money will follow. Degree or no degree.

My education is limited to a HS diploma. Over the course of 15 years, I worked my way up from phone guy to senior programmer at a software development firm. Made decent money, but hated my job. Then things went south and I found myself unemployed, with no savings (my kids are spoiled... sue me). With a mortgage payment past due already, I took the first money making opportunity that presented itself.

This opportunity came in the form of my neighbor complaining that someone had failed to show up to clean out his gutters. I made $60. He referred me to someone else a few houses up that needed a few tree stumps removed. They knew a disabled person who needed someone to pick up dog poo in their yard on a regular basis.

Over the next few months, I would repair and build fences and decks, perform yard clean ups, light landscaping duty (sprinklers, etc.), trash hauling, handy man jobs... anything I could do for a buck or two. I realized I had actually been making a living over these months, and even better I realized I had enjoyed every minute of it. No boss, no desk, no computer, phone or traffic. No deadlines or pushy clients. I was getting paid spendable cash multiple times a day, and when I started counting it, I realized I was working far fewer hours and earning considerably more than I was previously. I never thought of myself as the type of person who does odd jobs for a living, I was just lucky enough to be forced into it by the universe.

The point is, where there's a will, there's a way. That my friends, is the American Dream. Expecting good fortune to rain down on you for no other reason than you're standing on American soil, or expecting it to be easy, or even "fair", well, that's more of an American Fantasy.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 30_seconds

5) Don't pursue such a useless degree

I didn't say that, I said the complete opposite.. you need to pursue the degree because you can't do anything with just that degree, it's not the purpose of the degree. I'd go and get your teachers certification, which isn't nearly as hard and expensive as a typical Graduate degree, and often you can find accelerated programs.

And school districts are always looking for new teachers, even or especially when they fire old teachers. A tenured high school teacher averages over 60k a year before benefits.. a new grad teacher makes around 30k. Districts fire teachers before they tenure and hire new grads.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I move, restore and pianos donate pianos on weekends and evenings to get away from my 9 to 5 telecom job. I know exactly how you feel. Keep at it !!!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Yeah... So a new teacher gets to look forward to having a job, then right before tenure getting #canned. Great thing to aspire to....

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Something the working people and the Middle Class need to realize is that -- you're expendable! You can be easily replaced, degree or no degree. Why do you think most IT jobs are being shipped overseas to third-world countries? Its not because they know more than you, its because they're cheaper, and your Boss' will not hesitate to fire or let you go and have some 16 year old in India, and they're willing to sacrifice a little bit of quality for the sake of quantity and money -- They simply do not care. The Middle Class needs to wake up from the corporate media lifestyle lies; just because you have a 4 year college degree, it does not mean your job is bulletproof -- like I said, you can be easily replaced, no matter how hard you work -- your employer would simply let you go if he can find someone who can do the same work for less, regardless of experience.

How do I know? Because I've experienced it. I used to do all kinds of IT jobs, up to PC technician in my younger years, a Computer Consultant, all the way to working as a Software Engineer Manager. And in all of those jobs, I was replaced and the jobs were sent to Mexico, Indian and China. That's just the sad truth that Middle Class folks don't want to know: You don't have something that someone else doesn't have.

As for College/Higher-Education: what a joke it has become, back in my father's days you actually learned useful skills and only went there to actually get an education. Now, we're sending our kids who probably are not the brightest of the bunch, to go to College to get a good paying job, not the other way around. Be honest, how many of you would not send their kids if a College education was not required for most good paying jobs?

But like I said, it does not matter how much "education" you have -- you will be replaced in a second if your Boss sees a money-saving opportunity.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I'ts not that worse ...in my country average salary is 300-400 $ a month for 20 years and unemployment 31 % .Try live with that .
edit on 11-4-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by GArnold
What a shame.. I can only think this is the way certain very powerful people want it. Breaking news my friend.. The American Dream is dead (unless you grow pot in states that have dispensaries). I went to school for 5 years also... Work as a server till things turn around. I make over 15$ a hour take home most nights it is easier then delivering pizza and safer.

The globalists manufactured this fake 'American Dream' to get the people to be overly materialistic in return for more debt bondage.

It may be likened to the forbidden fruit.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

Funny, my grandparents did just great with the whole american/canadian dream. By the time they were 60, they both retired with a pension from each country, social security from the US, owned a house and a car, lived quite comfortably within their means....

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The dream is there you just have to make it happen. Me got some college and make $34 an hour with unlimited OT. Second job of running a campground. $1500 a month plus a house and utilities. my main job is temp work so everything is tax deductable. mileage ,food , house payment on a house I don't live in 2 trips home a month to check up on that house gets me over $1000 a month in deductions alone. Gotta know how to work the system. They built the tax system for them you just have to find a way in. They live in one state and work in DC so they made everything to do with their life deductable thats how the elite make / keep money

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Consider looking for work in Canada.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join