It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.4 - Near The East Coast Of Honshu, Japan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by vonhelton

Hello, even the media is calling them aftershocks, so maybe you should watch the name calling?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

NISA: Onagawa nuke plant in Miyagi-ken loses 2 of 3 external power grids after M7.4 quake.

Trouble in a different nuclear reactor?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DocEmrick

Nothing wrong with the planet at all - it's doing exactly what it's always done.

The problem lies in humans expecting things to remain the same for eternity or force nature to be still, and suffering when it snaps back or does what it has always done.

Tectonic plate movement has shaped and reshaped this planet since it first cooled.

Just the truth...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Wow...how quickly the bickering starts when events such as these occur.

This isn't a debate whether god exists or not - it's a possible disaster, so I don't see the reasoning for bitching at one another...

Let's hope no more damage occurs to any structures in that region...this truly is becoming a nightmare.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Hope this was really an aftershock, and NOT a foreshock. But JPN had a big earthquake a day or two before that big 9.0 one. If this quake has been downgraded to a 7.1, it's not classified as the big aftershock, which is generally ~ 1 less than the original. Not to mention that quake around 6.5 in Mexico. So, yeah, surf's up.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
With HAARP's website down yesterday, I am now extremely skeptical of the situation in Japan. At first I was holding on (by my fingernails) to belief that nature alone is responsible for the quake activity in that area. My sister is a geologist and made some pretty excellent points but I now I am not so sure. Going to check in HAARP is back up today, I haven't checked yet as ATS is my drug of choice. lol

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by essanance

Oh wow, just saw that on MSNBC as well.

Strangest thing about this is that someone caught the HAARP web site being taken down yesterday, as if to make information inaccessible while something goes on in the background. They also indicated that HAARP was running at full power when the site went down.

This is starting to look too suspicious and the little conspiracy angel on my shoulder is starting to win over the skeptic angel.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Khar

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

That is a Dire thought indeed ,HAARP is a weapon of devastation and we have no clue the agenda of those who control it . ALso i have tried for 30 minutes and www.haarp.alaska.edu/ is still down ....

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Electrical explosions caught on NHK cameras...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I was getting ready for bed when I heard the earth growl just before the quake. The sound lasted for about 5-10 seconds. Then the ground shook and my window blinds swayed wildly back and forth. Poor kitty got a bit freaked out.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ampar84

Why are we attacking eachother and calling one another ignorant? Aftershocks can happen MONTHS after a major earthquake.

Thanks for having my back on that one ampar84 and Rockstar02.

My understanding concurs with yours that aftershocks can occur for months afterwards.

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Let's just hope that the people of Japan are in no MORE danger than they have already endured/are in.

Stay safe.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

When the '89 quake happened in the bay area, I remember the news saying that there could be aftershocks for weeks. The news right now says japan may face aftershocks for a year. I think you are acting a little bit dramatic with your insult. Even if you're right, try to not be such a douche bag.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Sky News have just said the white lights are a phenomenon called "earthquake lights" wtf
edit on 7-4-2011 by Olympiad because: My very poor grammar.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Right on man...the kid talking about being knowledgeable has no understand about earthquakes...now I'm not with the USGS, but I do understand that aftershocks don't have a specific timeline and I was also under the impression the larger the quake, the larger the timeframe for an aftershock...someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Weather it was an aftershock, HAARP, whatever, it's pretty tragic. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's starting to become worried about all this "end of days" stuff being true... I've always been skeptical about it but recently things have been getting very strange...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Interesting, an earthquake happened in Mexico about an hour before the Japan quake.

www.npr.org...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

wow your ignorance astounds me, an "aftershock" is is directly after a main earthquake, hence why after the 9.2 on march 11th there was several lesser aftershocks, this earthquake 3 weeks later is NOT an aftershock of march 11th.

Perhaps one should not be calling others ignorant when not too au fait with facts oneself. The other poster is correct this is an aftershock. Also the main one was a 9.0 not a 9.2

As also stated in the previous posts quite correctly an aftershock can be up to 1 magnitude below the main shock. Anything over that would require the judgement of the seismologists to determine if it was a new event of an aftershock.

Aftershocks can continue for days, weeks, months and even years.

The definition of aftershocks is the period after the main shock that elapses while the levels of seismicity in the area are above normal.

This is the cumulative graph of the number of daily quakes for Honshu from 1st Jan 2009 to today.

You can see that the cumulative is falling, but until that gets to the levels before the 9th March and the first foreshock, then all quakes are aftershocks.

This is the magnitude graph for Honshu for the period 1st Jan 2009 to 8th Mar 2011, i.e. just before start of the current seismicity.

You can see that the average for that area is round the 5+ mark with a sprinkling of 6es. Based on the cumulative being a very steady graph until current it is reasonable to take the 240 quakes over the 27 month period to arrive at an average of 8.8 quakes a month before recent. That is the level to which it needs to return before these cease to be aftershocks.

The current seismicity runs to around 1000 quakes so it has a while to go yet, and I am only counting mag 4.5+ or thereabouts.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f3c361360076.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 7/4/2011 by PuterMan because: To add data attribution

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

It's only 1 quake. The same thing happened with the usgs website when the 9 struck - double reports which were later merged into one accurate report.

Interestingly however the Indonesians still have the 9.0 as 2 x 8.9 at different depths. That could like Samoa, still change yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join