It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami warnings from Japanese ancestors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I love reading about and thinking about how people lived a long time ago. Some of our ancestors did a good job of living in harmony with the natural world.

I found this article really interesting and I thought maybe others would, also.
Tsunami Stones

MIYAKO, Japan – Modern sea walls failed to protect coastal towns from Japan's destructive tsunami last month. But in the hamlet of Aneyoshi, a single centuries-old tablet saved the day.

"High dwellings are the peace and harmony of our descendants," the stone slab reads. "Remember the calamity of the great tsunamis. Do not build any homes below this point."

It was advice the dozen or so households of Aneyoshi heeded, and their homes emerged unscathed from a disaster that flattened low-lying communities elsewhere and killed thousands along Japan's northeastern shore.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

"People had this crucial knowledge, but they were busy with their lives and jobs, and many forgot,"

I think this is relevant to many people, in the world today.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
These people did not ignore history, and have been rewarded for their foresight.
Not something that is very common in contemporary cultures.
We would all be better off and better prepared if we did the same.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Nice i like that. I have always believed that if you want to know you're future you have to learn you're past.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Seeing as how we built mega-cities over fault lines and such, it is sadly clear that any advice the Ancients wanted to give us was discarded by modern society and its imperatives...

"Bad luck and sickness is only for others, it will never happen to us..."

Very nice find!
It's nice to see some ancients cared for their future generations...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
Seeing as how we built mega-cities over fault lines and such, it is sadly clear that any advice the Ancients wanted to give us was discarded by modern society and its imperatives...

"Bad luck and sickness is only for others, it will never happen to us..."

Very nice find!
It's nice to see some ancients cared for their future generations...

So true. I think about this all the time...
The things that we, or future generations, may never even know existed simply because we have built over the top of them or destroyed them in the name of progress.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

"People had this crucial knowledge, but they were busy with their lives and jobs, and many forgot,"

I think this is relevant to many people, in the world today.

Yes. Your response makes me stop a moment to think about what my constant business is preventing me from learning or seeing.

Originally posted by StripedBandit
These people did not ignore history, and have been rewarded for their foresight.
Not something that is very common in contemporary cultures.
We would all be better off and better prepared if we did the same.

Originally posted by enament
Nice i like that. I have always believed that if you want to know you're future you have to learn you're past.

Both statements are so very true. Progress is good if we build upon the lessons that we have learned as a whole, over time.

This article has got me wondering how many other tangible lessons have been left for us by our ancestors. Things like these stones, which are still standing.

top topics

join