It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Progressive Flo's Snapshot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I am in no way affiliated with any company or product. I'm interested in a TV commercial that is part of a high-exposure campaign for an insurance company. Progressive's advertisements air often in the NY tri-state area of the USA. The perky spokeswomen, 'Flo', in one commercial touts heavy discounts for using their new "snapshot" device.

The following two paragraphs are excerpt from huliq.com :

"The Snapshot is a small device that plugs into an auto's diagnostic system and records data that is transmitted back to Progressive via wireless technology. Customers can view the same information on a website set up for this specific purpose.

The information will then be used to determine if a customer qualifies for significant discounts based on safety, including how, how much and when the car is driven. Cars driven less often, in safer ways and at safer times of days are most likely to get a discount. Although Progressive and other auto insurers gather some of this information at the present time, it is based on the affirmative statements of policy-holders or applicants, without the ability to prove otherwise."

History tells us that many devices and applications exist in their present form due to insurance companies seeking to lower their payout number. Watching the bottom line has benefited society greatly as safer devices have decreased loss & suffering.

Snapshot is another step in the evolution of technology that I think we saw coming sooner or later. Todays gadget being used voluntarily will in time lead to industry lobbying making a more perfected version mandatory in new automobiles.

What do you think of having your every movement tracked by an all-seeing eye that will instantly stream a river of data as you drive your motor vehicle? Your location, speed, actuation of any/all devices within the vehicle, posted speed limit, road conditions, temperature and such will be permanently documented.

Do you feel "Snapshot" is a good idea? Would you buy a car with this type of technology on board? Do you think such technology will lead to automatic fines from law enforcement? Any thoughts or comments, anyone?

Thanks for taking the time to read, and thank you in advance for your reply.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
no,no,no,and again NO.Before I was permanently disabled I was truck driver over 20 years.They have had a system like that in trucks for years..this damn system gives real time information on every vehicle, fuel mileage,average speed ,peak speed (they can even fine you),how many hours driven, what gear you are in,where you are etc etc.Look up Sony omnitracks 2000.After living with that abortion I cannot accept it in my private life.The companies started this to stay in compliance but it goes too far...but seeing as the general motoring pubic's safety is a consideration(maybe..methinks lawsuits)and knowing the quality of driver out there I agree it's a necessity...for truck drivers.Maybe if my kids were teenagers but that thankfully has passed.As for the general motoring public...no.To easily used to track our movement,even though cell phones take care of that.It just seems like another way to make us compliant and controlled,they can stick to the actuarial table and stick this in there rear end.Just my 2 cents sure there COULD be benefits but I don't trust anything that rats me out to anybody.Even the omnitracks had it's good points,but again I say NOOOOOO!.......peace Ya'll

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

I think the device is optional isn't it? For example, if you wanted to save on insurance then you could opt to get this snapshot device and would agree to its terms of usage... I do however fear that this will become more heavily used by many more auto-insurance companies and they will rationalize a slight going over the speed limit as reason to raise your premium...hopefully it wont get to that so lets hope people aren't stupid enough to opt in to such a thing that could end up screwing them over in the long run.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Im an auto tech and most newer model cars already have a similar device installed from the factory that can be monitored without the drivers knowledge onstar for example can remotely start unlock and locate a vehicle, in an accident we can go back and see the driving habits and conditions that led up to the accident similar to a black box on an aircraft i have personally disabled quite a few for some shady characters but as long as they pay i dont mind tptb are pretty nosy

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by gary714

gary74 thank you for your post. your experience with professional driving gave you good exposure to devices already in use. great share for others who want to research & learn more.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus24

I think the device is optional isn't it? For example, if you wanted to save on insurance then you could opt to get this snapshot device and would agree to its terms of usage... I do however fear that this will become more heavily used by many more auto-insurance companies and they will rationalize a slight going over the speed limit as reason to raise your premium...hopefully it wont get to that so lets hope people aren't stupid enough to opt in to such a thing that could end up screwing them over in the long run.

thank you for your question, Daedalus24. yes, the 'Snapshot' device offer from that insurer is one program by itself TTBOMK. you are right, opting for use (voluntarily) and agreeing to use -- may -- lead to automobile insurance premium cost reduction.

I foresee a similar circumstance to what you mention. In time a device of this application becomes commonplace, and will be used as another tool to levy fines whenever the opportunity arises.

With insurance companies having the most to gain I'm sure their lobbyists will be greasing the politicians to pluck this chicken as soon as they have a little data to cluck about. Corporations, governments and law makers have a great knack for taking the fun out of everything.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ed1320
Im an auto tech and most newer model cars already have a similar device installed from the factory that can be monitored without the drivers knowledge onstar for example can remotely start unlock and locate a vehicle, in an accident we can go back and see the driving habits and conditions that led up to the accident similar to a black box on an aircraft i have personally disabled quite a few for some shady characters but as long as they pay i dont mind tptb are pretty nosy

ed1320 that is some alarming info to read! i wonder what the full data stream onstar & similar service providers record. I wonder how many people may opt for the Big Brother bypass if they took the time to read disclosure at time of automobile purchase / service activation.

Thinking about it, that really is a wonderful convenience for TPTB. It's so much easier focusing on a certain someone when the menacing side of a device is dispelled by spreading it about amongst everyone.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
hello, i myself am a gm technician, and am familiar with onstar. I voluntarily use the snapshot from progressive, it lowered my rate for my wife tahoe and my truck over $40 a month within the first 30 days and will later be reassed after 6 months after that you send it back in and dont have to use it again

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Some day it will become the law you have to have such a device I fear just as other have said they fear as well. The police or any one for that matter will be able to track you 24/7 and even be able to shut your car down by remote. No more police chases they just push and button and you are stopped dead. You forget to pay you car tax or your car payment of unpaid parking tickets and they shut you down in the middle of the road a hundred miles from home. Then the hackers get into the system and shut down whole cities just for fun. I do not like where this is headed one little bit.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
You won't have much choice in the matter for all new cars will come equipped.
The Police have been using these for years now to track suspects.
IT's basically a GPS with a transceiver on it similar to that used in a cell phone.

I know that the big companies such as GM and FOMOCO have been testing these on cars for well over 10 years now since the mid 90's. In fact two thirds of all GM and Ford vehicles already have these installed....since 2005.

No Thanks !

I personally don't care to have my vehicle monitored. The same reason as to why I don't want an RFID chip on my person.
IT only provides the Powers That Be another form of control.
I can see it now, you'll begin to receive speeding tickets online...or via the mail...
"Your vehicle exceeded the posted speed limit on xx/xx/2011
Your fine will be $120. and is due within the next 30 days"

Thus eliminating the ability to fight tickets in traffic courts....
No Thanks

The good thing though is that it's part of the car's computer and with a laptop and scanning software you could hack or overwrite the data if needbe.
OOPS !

If you don't have Onstar or a Navi system then they cannot monitor your vehicle remotely but would instead be required to physically plug into the car's diagnostic port and upload the data.

No thanks....

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

nh_ee that's kind of creepy, knowing they've been working on this stuff for so long, and how much of it has become standard equipment.

with all the equipment modern LEO's have at their disposal to thwart criminals in chases and what-not i'm a little surprised many crooks still use motor vehicles. i'm not in the crook business but logic tells me they might be more well off using motorcycles or those neat little 4 wheel machines all the motorcycle manufacturers have been selling for years.

no doubt some of these gadgets do have legitimate use appeal that new car customers might like, but i wonder how much these goodies must ramp-up the cost of a new car. then again, i've never heard of someone buying a Cadillac 'stripped' -- it's just the opposite, they're loaded to the brim.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Why did you name this thread "Progressive Flo's Snapshot"? She is only an employee; she did not invent the device? It sounds like you were posting pix of her.
edit on 23-7-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

top topics

join