It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic ozone levels in never-before-seen plunge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

The ozone layer has seen unprecedented damage in the Arctic this winter due to cold weather in the upper atmosphere.

By the end of March, 40% of the ozone in the stratosphere had been destroyed, against a previous record of 30%.

The great flood happening all over again? Are the ice caps melting? We need to start acting faster and harder about global warming, if this isn’t a sign i don’t know what is.

This looks bad guys!!!!!
What do you think?

Full Story

edit on 22/03/2011 by Alpal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Sad, very sad. No denying the ozone layer depletion. As for us acting fast. I think we are too far gone. Nothing left to do but live our lives the best we can and show each other respect. Do you have a link?

Peace
edit on 6-4-2011 by Flyzoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
What I think? Like most people on this place you've got off half cocked and ill informed.
The ozone hole has nothing to do with global warming. Its related to CFC's and if anything, global warming will actually HELP the situation with depleted ozone levels.
The fortunate thing is that CFC's were outlawed globally some decades ago.
The unfortunate thing is that it will take about a hundred years for the already emitted CFC's to be gone from the atmosphere.
The fortunate thing is that levels would be twice as high as they are now if we had done nothing.
The unfortunate thing is that the CFC's take many years to reach high altitudes and polar caps, which is why (with year to year variation) we still have the ozone depleted at record levels.
The fortunate thing is that UV radiation reaching the earth will only be about 10 percent higher than normal, this year, so you dont need to panic.
The unfortunate thing is that if you live in an area with snow, the reflected level will give you twice as much.
The fortunate thing is that the "hole" is only localised, in polar regions, and not covering the whole globe.
The unfortunate thing is that nobody wants to know about reality and boring chemistry and meteorology, and so this thread will be flagged and starred and nutcases will post messages blaming it all on 2012, Nibiru, HAARP, aliens or chemtrails.

edit on 6-4-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2011 by alfa1 because: More context.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Yup.

Not sure if it was accurate, but I heard in 50 years, the ozone layer would be a lot like it was back 30 years ago or so? (Like, nearly repaired)

new topics

top topics

join