It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What exactly is shutdown in a Govt. shutdown?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I know it is possibly going to happen, and am wondering what gets the boot when it comes to a shutdown?! Just curious and please dont rage on me for my ignorance. Thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by earthart

Everything except the military.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

actually this year if things goes from bad to worse then they will definitely cut down the military

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It will be illegal for any federal employees to report to work. Their jobs will be on hold. This happened back in 1995 i believe. My father, a NASA employee, sat at home for three weeks and couldnt do anything about it. Afterward, he was compensated for the idle time.
edit on 5-4-2011 by TomServo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Here's a good, simple explanation:

Certain necessary activities would continue—anything related to defense, inpatient or emergency medical care, air traffic control, securing prisoners, or disaster assistance, for instance. But legally, federal agencies would have to wind down nonessential business. That means hundreds of thousands of employees would go on furloughs, from Treasury to Health and Human Services to the Department of Education, to be paid whenever a continuing resolution passed. Thousands more contractors would just lose their gigs. Parks would shut down. Offices would clear out. Phones would go unanswered.

Link to article here: [Slate.com]http://www.slate.com/id/2286003/[/url]

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

In U.S. politics, a government shutdown is said to occur when the government no longer provides "non-essential" services. Typically, services that continue despite a shutdown include police, fire fighting, armed forces, utilities, air traffic management and corrections.
A shutdown can occur when a legislative body (including the legislative power of veto by the executive) cannot agree on a budget financing its government programs for a pending fiscal year. In the absence of appropriated funds, the government discontinues providing non-essential services at the beginning of the affected fiscal year. Government employees who provide essential services, often referred to as "essential employees", are required to continue working.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I am just as curious...is this a bad thing now that I have read the ramifications?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
That would be cool if gov''t shutdown meant mandatory suicide for all 3 branches of gov't for failing.

Fall on the sword scumballs!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Thank again for the 411. It solved a debate in my house. My wife seemed to think they happen all the time and it isnt a big deal. Sounds like a HUGE deal to me. I appreciate you guys.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Nite_wing

I think it is fine, as we really don't need a federal gov't at all.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Quick if they do shut down someone hurry down there and change the locks!!!! I know it won't go far but I'd be willing to offer up the first $100 donation to such a cause!!! That outta cover at least a couple of doors considering it won't be them doing the shopping as usual.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

Everything except the military.

Not true. All vital services continue under the old budget. The only people affected are government employees and then only the services that are not vital.

This is pure political propaganda. A monster in the closet if you will. There is no danger, but as long as they can convince you there is a monster in the closet, they can control you they hope.

No Budget at all was passed last year and the one they are working on now was supposed to be passed before the last election. One Party had complete control of the whole thing and failed to do their jobs. They decided not to pass a budget before the elections because they knew if they made the cuts that MUST be made to save our economy, it would piss off the Entitlement crowd. You know, the Leeches who live off of others money and work.

Europe has realized that the Progressive Agenda is a one way ticket to economic catastrophe and they are taking action. The Genius in our White House however is ignoring reality to buy votes. He's showered the Unions with money and favors to buy their votes. His promise of "fiscal responsibility" is likely the most laughable promise ever made by a President. It does seem to fool the illiterate voters however and may work yet again. Only this time, the whole country will suffer greatly. You can not spend yourself out of debt. Any idiot with a Credit Card knows this, but the Progressives have doubled our debt in just two years. Those are simple facts.

The world is about to take our Credit Cards away and our Leader's know it for a fact. This Administration is banking that enough of the voters are so uninvolved and illiterate they can buy another four years. The plan is easy to figure out. To hell with us as long as His Highness Obama and the corrupt Union Leaders become filthy rich themselves.

When Obama leaves the White House, he will get huge Salaries from the companies like G.E., which pays no taxes and received huge sums of government handouts along with an exemption from the Health Care Laws they know will bankrupt us. He will sit on multiple Boards at a huge Salary and get speaking engagements for as high as a million per speech. The Universities and Unions will see to that. The Schools will just raise tuition to cover it and the Unions will be obligated to pay him back for the billions in bribes. Heck he gave a major automobile company to a Union. He took over a Company and gave it to a Union. Let that sink in for a moment.

Question is, are those who voted him in the last election still as naive and uninformed as they were two years ago? If even a small portion of their brain cells are still working, Obama won't survive the Primaries and the Left will opt for a new Candidate. Or they will make the same mistake all over again.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthart
Thank again for the 411. It solved a debate in my house. My wife seemed to think they happen all the time and it isnt a big deal. Sounds like a HUGE deal to me. I appreciate you guys.

Your Wife is right. This is meaningless. Sounds like a smart Lady.

There was no budget at all for last year and this one was supposed to be passed last year. In fact Congress is mandated to do it. If they worked for a business they would have all been fired for incompetence. Don't let these fools play you for a fool.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The only thing wrong with government shut downs, is that they always seem to start back up.

Seriously, this is the equivalent of a 4th grader running home and taking his ball because he can't agree on who's turn it is to kick.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
A government shutdown is where the President and Congress still get paid to do a job they could not and will not do so that you, the gullable will continue to believe the US is in debt and pay more taxes that they will continue to use in order to fund corporate bailouts, erase your healthcare system and allow them to expand the military under scary pretenses like constant threats to national security posed by terrorism.

new topics

top topics

join