It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reaching loves ones after a CME?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
So after that massive CME yesterday I got to wondering how I'd reach loved ones if the electrical grid was to go down. I assume everything electronic will be fried, including HAM radios etc?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

if there is no power on a system,,, it wont fry.... CME will only knock out powered equipment at the time of the CME

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I have heard that if batteries etc are disconnected then they don't fry
so if that is the case a ham radio may work
Bear in mind i know nothing of ham radios
except they are really not made of ham

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

if there is no power on a system,,, it wont fry.... CME will only knock out powered equipment at the time of the CME

So you could still communicate VIA radio if the system wasn't running at the time of the CME/Solar storm/EMP, etc?
What about cars? The battery would be dead but if you just changed it over the car would be running fine, wouldn't it?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nemain73

Bear in mind i know nothing of ham radios
except they are really not made of ham

Haha, that's the extent of my ham radio knowledge too.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Satellite phone would still work if you both had one you'd be set, as long as it wasn't on when the CME hit. Or if you ain't in a rush theres always sending a letter i suppose, or driving to somewhere where they still have power and working infrastructure.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kaoticf8

Who's going to deliver the letter, lol? I like the satellite phone idea.
Wouldn't they need to be insulated though, even while they're turned off? Oh and wouldn't the satellites be down too if there was a massive solar flare?
edit on 4/4/11 by Nventual because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

With cars (again I don't know much) it is a bit different
points/diods/something also need to be removed/replaced as they hold charge and fry
Maybe I should google a bit - besides i totally saw it in "War of the worlds" so it has to be true, right?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I am sure if it was strong enough to fry stuff on earth then the satellites would certainly be dead....

If HAM radio's aren't made of ham then what are they made of ?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Bacon, perhaps?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9d1494cea7e7.jpg[/atsimg]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

No worries. If there are no more electronic communications, everyone I know knows where to meet up after a certain period of time.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I would suggest you research the subject yourself. The information being provided to you here is non conclusive and you will be literally left in the dark. Good Luck

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Seriously, You would be safer to assume that all comms are down. No cell phones, sat phones, radios...nothing.

Plan ahead with family and friends so that if "X" happens I will meet you "here" or if "Y" happens you meet me
at "that place"

Make it clear so that if you can't get in touch with each other at least everyone knows what's what and your all on the same page.

I have made such a plan so whenever I go to Phoenix (big city nearest me) and if something DOES happen while I am there the family already knows what to do and what I will be trying to do.

It would be a good 8 day hike home for me from there and I would hate to get home in 8-9 days and find out family members are went down to help me and we passed each other somehow along the way and are now missing. Now they're in an un safe position because of a lack of communication.

Everybody here knows EXACTLY what is expected of them if the SHTF and what what I will be doing to get home. Same goes if they are the ones out of town.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think that CB Radio's would still work, for the most part.

EDIT: After looking into it probably nothing would work including satellite phones.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5-4-2011 by BunnyBeHoppy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Make plans before the event happens.

IE, i've told my parents that if a CME was to hit was to sit tight for a few days as it would pack my bags, steal a bike from downstairs and start riding towards theirs.

I currently live in the middle of a big city. if SHTF it's the last place i'd lke to be when noone has power or working electronics.

The flood bought people together, but that was a 2 week thing and it was not very serious - only no power for a few days. Something more permnant.. however.... i have no doubt they'd become violent once they realise their survival is in jeapordy (no power for them to cook food, no hopes of power coming on any tiem soon - no communication to keep people in formed and calm...)

Dont rely on electronics for communication for SHTF senario's. Plan beforehand, setup a meeting point, and a time limit on how long those will wait at said meeting point for you before they press on without you.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9d1494cea7e7.jpg[/atsimg]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

No worries. If there are no more electronic communications, everyone I know knows where to meet up after a certain period of time.

I've really got to get one of those!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
you can still buy old ham radios that use vacuum tube technology

something like the yaesu ft-101 would survive

but really just get make a faraday cage and throw all your radios in one including the cables and antenna.

top topics

join