It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ivory Coast: UN forces fire on pro-Gbagbo camp - with UPDATES

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Ivory Coast: UN threatens air attacks on Gbagbo forces

www.bbc.co.uk

The UN has threatened air attacks on forces loyal to besieged Ivorian President Laurent Gbagbo after 11 peacekeepers were shot in recent days.

The special representative said the 9,000 troops who are part of the UN mission in Ivory Coast (Unoci) did not have a mandate to dislodge Mr Gbagbo, but they did have the powers to respond to heavy weapons attacks against the UN or civilians.

"We will be using our air assets," he said. "We will be taking action soon," he added.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
edit on 4-4-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
If this takes place maybe we can assume that the 5-7 countries invasion plan is real. If this takes place, it would add Ivory Coast to the list of countries with foreign military intervention. Too much foreign military intervention in different countries means a stretched and thin military force. A stretched and thin military force means a vulnerable force.

EDIT: UN helicopters have fired at Laurent Gbagbo's forces!

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I hope US forces can at least stay out of this one. We are already sticking our noses into too many places. I wonder, is this part of a plan to kill off a generation of Americans?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

I think our military leaders are well aware of the consequences of fighting multiple fronts simultaneously. Which leads me to believe we have some sort of 'ace in the hole' whether it is technology or just plain assets that we the public do not know about.
I mean these types of military mistakes are too elementary for me to take seriously.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Africa is rich in resources.

If UN nations can secure some of those resources, especially traded in "dollars", to drop a few bombs on the uprising militants or "bad rebels" then so be it.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

Ivory Coast: UN threatens air attacks on Gbagbo forces

www.bbc.co.uk

The UN has threatened air attacks on forces loyal to besieged Ivorian President Laurent Gbagbo after 11 peacekeepers were shot in recent days.

The special representative said the 9,000 troops who are part of the UN mission in Ivory Coast (Unoci) did not have a mandate to dislodge Mr Gbagbo, but they did have the powers to respond to heavy weapons attacks against the UN or civilians.

"We will be using our air assets," he said. "We will be taking action soon," he added.

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

This is just a random thought, could it be ,that the whole idea of the US military invasion in Lybia was done the way it was, knowing that there would be an outcry because Obama did not go to congress first,

which in turn would give a good cover for the UN and NATO to begin a campaign against certain countries that do not serve thier purposes? I mean there is already talk of UN involvement in Sryia.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

We have an 'ace in the hole' by default.

They have no known means of causing major dissurptions to our manufacturing base. Ergo, we can fight indefinately and they can not. We win!

There is absolutely nothing, even if all of Africa got together, for them to stop the UN (read NATO as that is whom will do most of the dirty work if it goes offensive).

They have no serious air assets, they have no serious naval assets...it is literally, from a military mindset, shooting fish in a barrel.

What should concern everybody, is the ramifications this will have on the next generation of Africans. Isn't it time we let them build their nations into first world countries and play nice together?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Isn't it time we let them build their nations into first world countries and play nice together?

Not if we have some ulterior motive behind it.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
So does this mean that all those people who, when Libya kicked off, were crying out “why isn’t the UN doing anything in the Ivory Coast ”will now be crying out” why is the UN doing anything in the Ivory Coast!”?

edit on 4-4-2011 by Mike_A because: punctuation

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

This might be why. The UN wants to open up the Ivory Coast.

There is heavy fighting in some parts of the main city Abidjan. Cote d’Ivoire’s land and sea borders are now closed until further notice. French military forces moved to secure Abidjan airport on 3 April, but commercial flights have been suspended. Air France have cancelled their flights to Abidjan since 1 April. However, they plan to fly on 4 April .

www.fco.gov.uk...
edit on 4-4-2011 by Frankidealist35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

My point wasn’t about why the UN is doing something in the Ivory Coast, it was about all those people who used UN inaction in places such as the Ivory Coast vs action in Libya as evidence of the evil west and what they’ll have to say now.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
I hope US forces can at least stay out of this one. We are already sticking our noses into too many places. I wonder, is this part of a plan to kill off a generation of Americans?

You actually think Gen Y is draftable? You need your head examined if that is the case. If they bring back the draft= instant Second American Civil War. After everything the older generations did to Gen-Y males we owe America nothing.

Why do you think they haven't brought it back already? Because they know what will happen and as soon as Russia, Iran and China really realize it... Well the whole Bankers Empire house of cards will collapse.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

The western powers will use its new puppet to gain control of Ivory Coast resouces.

Former world bank employee Mr Alassane Ouattara was announced the winner of the election by the UN even before the Ivorian election comitty had a chance to give its opinion on the matter.

The current president Gbagbo went to the Ivorian constitutional council which is the highest legal authority in the country and challenged the election result of November 28th 2010 based on reports of substanial election fraud.

The constitutional council declared the election result null and void and the sitting president was declared the winner.

One can ask on what basis the international community can override the highest legal authority in a sovereign nation.

Outtara is from Burkina Faso, he is also married into the Sarkozy family as his wife is related to Sarkozy.

This looks more and more as another French/UN backed coup.
Ivory Coast has been one of the wealthiest countries in Africa and has been a relatively peaceful corner on the troubled African continent.

documents.fileave.com...
edit on 5-4-2011 by Clavicula because: additional information

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
So does this mean that all those people who, when Libya kicked off, were crying out “why isn’t the UN doing anything in the Ivory Coast ”will now be crying out” why is the UN doing anything in the Ivory Coast!”?

edit on 4-4-2011 by Mike_A because: punctuation

You assume they are the same people. You also assume that the action taken by the UN will be the correct one.

Getting detailed information about a situation should be the correct approach instead of engaging in knee jerk reactions based on limited knowledge.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Clavicula

I don’t assume anything, I know that people criticised the UN for its action in Libya citing its lack of action in countries like the Ivory Coast. I just want to know what these people have to say now and I bet that they will say that it’s another sign of the evil west.

new topics

top topics

join