It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Orders Deportations for 12 US Border Crashers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I've seen several posts around ATS lately stating how difficult our Immigration barriers are. Intrepid has also started this thread demonstrating efforts at dealing with fraudulent immigration papers.

This story reported last night demonstrates that Canada can and does catch people trying to gain access to the US illegally.

Twelve people arrested trying to enter the United States illegally from Alberta have been ordered to leave Canada.

"The cases that have come to our attention, all the people have been detained, they've all been found, described and ordered removed from the country," said Robert Ferguson, head of immigration enforcement in Calgary. "And I believe that's a deterrent for people in the future."

[in addition]...

In February, 10 South Koreans were caught trying to get into the U.S. near a border crossing in Coutts, Alta. They were deported. Source

The claims that some people would make about Canada's borders being totally open to terrorists are clearly exagerated.

Hopefully these stories demonstrate that, while far from being perfect, Canada does make serious efforts to control border crossings.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Maybe we need to be alot more vocal about it....

There has been many times in my city where the CN police have stopped people trying to sneak through a train tunnel to the US.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
i never thought canada had a totally open border. i know canada does monitor the borders, mexico on the other hand, they practically encourage their people and anyone else to come here through their border.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by zero_snaz
Maybe we need to be alot more vocal about it....

There has been many times in my city where the CN police have stopped people trying to sneak through a train tunnel to the US.

Agreed. There are perceptions based on stereotypes and misleading information that can be turned around with a sustained flow of factual information.

I for one will make it a point to bring a bit of Canadian news to ATS'ers

top topics

join