It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this really the link to ADHD?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
So im sure all of you have herd over the last couple days that certain food dyes may be th cause of ADHD. I was wondering what you all thought of that. yes here is some reading on the subject

www.wfaa.com...

And another:

www.medicinenet.com...

And one more:

www.medindia.net...

me honestly i dont believe in ADHD, when i was a kid their was no such thing as ADHD. We were just hyper active kids playing. Just another way to calm the people with more medication i think

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jaycen420

I don't believe it either, a good smack on the butt cured it in my youth. That was cheap and a much quicker fix than any medicine. Like me some kids just needed a couple of doses (lol) and in retrospect I don't think my parents beat me, it got me to pay attention and act like a human being much quicker than pills.
edit on 3-4-2011 by illuminateme because: grammer

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I'm not going to say that some hyper-active kids don't need medication, but back when I was a kid, they would have us burn off that energy outside playing with our friends. If we got too crazy, the parents (or teachers, coaches, playground supervisors, etc.) would give us a red, stinging behind that would calm us down.

I was wondering why they would implicate food dyes with ADHD, but would deny any connection between autism and vaccines? And not to derail this thread, but how does the big pharma companies make any money with all class-action law suits anyway?
edit on 3-4-2011 by MichiganSwampBuck because: clairity

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
At some point I wanted to make a thread on the topic of ADHD. It is actually caused by the medications which are used to "treat" it. I know this from experience. If your kid is more interested in playing, talking to friends, etc than they are in school, do not listen to the doctor and force them to take amphetamines. I imagine most people here are smart enough to realize this by now, but it really cannot be emphasized enough. Like I said... I hope to make a thread on this topic and give it the attention it deserves.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by illuminateme

to simply state that adhd dont exist is the normal uneducated view point of someone who has never met or interacted with children with this very nasty and troubling mental illness. my step son has adhd and a typical autism.(high functioning). i realise everyone is entitled to their opinion , would you also say then that deppresion isnt real? and they should simply pull themselves together!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by robertashby

I've had to deal with hyper-active kids and medication helped. They grew out of it in their teens. So it seems ADHD is truly a "disorder" in my opinion. Still I don't believe in fixing every problem with a pill.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
You dont believe in ADHT? think it just means your hyperactive? just shows you know nothing about it doesn't it, having ADHT doesn't mean your hyperactive yes that could be a symptom but not all people who have ADHT are hyperactive, symptoms could be anything from hyper focus, being adverse in many different subject/talents losing track of time, being forgetful, depression, in some cases a person could believe they have ability's beyond their current knowledge, they may day dream of of being on TV because they have invented time travel etc.

There is so much more to ADHT than simply being hyperactive, there are brain scan's and numerous tests done for decades which show chemical unbalance in the brain simply declaring you dont believe in something because you got a smack as a child and it didn't exist when you were a child is a bit silly...

There was a day when when people were burned as witches for symptoms that are today understood to be a mental illness, just because you weren't aware of it back in the day doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

no i agree but to be able to talk and be lucid enough to understand in my case at least the meds are without doubt crucial, i do however think that there are kids and parents who do use the label as an excuse for bad behavoir, so its a very complicated area to delve into. all kids need routine and structure but adhd kids need that even more.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I personally don't believe food dye is a direct link to ADHD. I do however believe it is a trigger for ADHD and numerous other malfunctions of a persons system. My son's mother and I focused more on the RED40 as our son was growing up.
We passed that on to many of our friends and most found a big behavioral change just by eliminating RED40. It was't easy as we found it in just about everything. As of late a lot of companies are removing it but it is still common place in the food industry. RED40 is also known as "coal tar" dye.
A good site about RED40 is:
red40.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Red cordial has been know to make you hypo for ages.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

i was diagnosed with ADHD and took medication for it for half my life. ADHD is a BS excuse for kids that dont feel like trying. So instead of growing up and being good parents we just like to drug our kids to mindless zombies. I felt better off my medication and could still function in life and get above 3.0 gpa's. Most problems we have today would be solved by parents growing up and taking responsibility in raising their child right

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I disagree with your view that not believing in ADHD has something to do with being "uneducated". Many in the medical profession don't believe in it.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by robertashby
reply to post by illuminateme

to simply state that adhd dont exist is the normal uneducated view point of someone who has never met or interacted with children with this very nasty and troubling mental illness. my step son has adhd and a typical autism.(high functioning). i realise everyone is entitled to their opinion , would you also say then that deppresion isnt real? and they should simply pull themselves together!

No I wouldn't but it also depends on the severity sometime yes pull it together but as I have experienced it a couple of times throughout my life on several levels I do believe it does exist. Also as a kid my parents took me to see a doctor and was diagnosed with adhd and thankfully my parents did NOT put me on any of those pills, I believe I am a much better person for it. It taught me that I am responsible for my actions not some diagnosis IMHO all doctors who see an active kid would diagnose them all with ADHD or something similar.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jaycen420

I think ADHD is a term they give to something that doesn't even exist. I was given pills for my apparent ADHD when i was a child because i was too hyper apparently and i think it screwed me up royally. As in my brain function screwed up. I think they should outlaw such nonsense feeding kids these drugs that can screw them up for the rest of their lives.

I was given ADHD as a child in grade school and took it not knowing what it was thinking it was for the better good of my health to take it when in reality its a sick cruel twisted demonic corporate profiteering act and it makes me sick to my stomach

Food dyes are known to cause more than just ADHD apparently cancer as well.

S & F Ty for making the world more aware to these sick corporations
edit on 3-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
To say that ADHD is not real is maddening to me. Please come live at my house for a week with my 9 year old when he's not on his medication.

The doctor won't diagnose it until age 6 or 7 (can't remember which it was). Checklists need to be filled out after observation by teachers/parents. I modified his food, but he gets the "bad stuff" outside of the house - ie at friends houses or at school when kids swap food. I couldn't fight it so we talked about it. He gets treats and we read labels and try to keep the sugar below 10g. Even he does this on his own now when we go shopping. My child does get outside and play, no matter what the weather. He loves to be outside.

Seeing my child suffer with too many racing thoughts going on his head and not being able to pick one thought and focus on it was heart breaking. Yes, this happens to all of us, but for him it was a constant struggle. Seeing him get Es in school and feeling dumb and have no self confidence and being ostracized by his friends and even the teachers when he has to be isolated... He gets what is being taught, but he gets it in a different way than is taught. His teacher tries her best to understand his thought patterns, but she can't stop every single time to appease my child. My child needs to learn how to do this on his own, his way, and the medicine is helping that!

We have finally found the right medicine for him and he got his first A last month, his self confidence is coming back, he sees he's not dumb but has to find a different way to do things and it's OK. He has friends again. There are still things to work on, but at 40, I still have things to work on. That is life. My child is happy again.

I'm not crazy medicine and it was a hard decision to make, but if it helps him, I'm doing it. As a parent, seeing your child so sad and miserable, you will do what it takes to make their life happier. I am so proud of him and all of his hard work. He needed a "helper" and boy is it helping.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SenstivelyMe

I was a child that was diagnosed with ADHD i don't think you can understand this if you've never experienced it yourself and forced to take the damn drug that screws you up i had it diagnosed i was forced to take the drug at an age i was too naive to know anything about it.

I seriously recommend not giving your children these drugs they are for corporate profiteering solely it is not for your childs wellbeing it is a false pretense. For something that is normal in many humans and OK

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I have two kids that are ADHD. It's very real. It's not some silly game of bad parenting with hyperactive kids. ADHD is very real to the point that the kids cannot focus. We give our kids ADHD meds, but frankly it only works from about 9am-2pm long enough for them to make it through school. If you don't have personal experience with ADHD kids, keep your opinions to yourself. You are ignorant.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DankKing420

i was diagnosed with ADHD and took medication for it for half my life. ADHD is a BS excuse for kids that dont feel like trying. So instead of growing up and being good parents we just like to drug our kids to mindless zombies. I felt better off my medication and could still function in life and get above 3.0 gpa's. Most problems we have today would be solved by parents growing up and taking responsibility in raising their child right

A bullsh*t excuse for not trying... not in all cases, thank you very much. My child does try and tries hard. And I am a good parent, not perfect, but d*mn it, I try too! Each medicine is different. Some do make a child spaced out. When that happened, that medication was stopped. I don't want him to be half dead. I want him to be able to concentrate, stay on task and thrive, and I know he could not do that on his own. I want to see his wonderfulness shine! He is being taught to be responsible for his actions, he also sees that his mother does the same thing. I am NOT one of those parents that says, "because I said so", or "i'm the parent, so I know better, do as I say". I don't always know better, my child sometimes knows better than I do and I listen to him! He is teaching me as well. I listened to him when he said he didn't like how the medication felt. It is HIS body after all. And we kept trying. He likes this medicine, there are no bad feelings for him and he is very much a sensory child.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DankKing420

to be honest my son when not medicated is a mindless zobie its the meds that help him understand the world to the best of his abillities of course all cases are different and i totaly understand everyone is different. i do not accept that i am a bad parent i do everything to make his life the best it can be, i also have four other children who are much more accepting of peoples disabilities as a direct result of my sons on going problems.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by zestor

I was a child diagnosed with ADHD and forced to take the drug do not give it to your kids i'm warning you. The drugs screws with their heads. I strongly recommend you not to give your kids something they DO NOT NEED. I was a victim of the drug myself because i was diagnosed with ADHD. For you to give it to your children is a very disturbing and easy solution. They're are alternatives.

I recommend not feeding your children any food with food dye in it and try to hold off on giving them large amounts of sugar. I believe the sugar content children intake is a large part of the illusion of having ADHD because it makes them incredibly hyper

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join