It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why arent they using Zeolite?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Apparently Zeolite a naturally occurring porous rock that they used at chernobil may be the best thing to contain this disaster. It absorbed radiation and can be compressed and stored safely while decontaminating the water etc. Wonder why this isn't being used right now.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

As out of hand as the situation is getting we need brainstorming and original thought to stop this thing. So anyone with some novel ideas that they aren't trying chime in.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
That's a really good question.

I'm also wondering why all the countries being impacted by all of this haven't gone in there and forced them to entomb the whole dang thing before now. Seriously. It's not just the Japanese that have to worry about this crap. It's all of us.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I have to agree, it sounds like they should be using it.Jomina I'm sorry to say the American Government is so bureaucratically bogged down it would take years and billions of dollars for it to even decide what they could do.
edit on 2-4-2011 by FarBeyondDriven69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I honestly believe that the G8, the richest countries on earth, are allowing this to continue unabated on purpose.

There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for the total lack of international activity during a multiple meltdown.

Not one country is suggesting that the nuclear plant be buried immediately. What are they waiting for exactly? The fallout has made it half way around the world already.

We've been hearing about population reduction for a long time. Well, here's a perfect opportunity to allow food and water supplies to be polluted worldwide.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Becaue they tend to forget, until they read it at ATS

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ISHAMAGI

And the zeolite suggestion sounds great. Why aren't they using it? And why aren't they using the many other technologies available to combat this?

Nuclear-Waste Eating Bacteria- A Future Possible Answer for the Radioactivity Issues of Nuclear Energy
salon.glenrose.net...

Radiation-Eating' Fungi Finding Could Trigger Recalculation Of Earth's Energy Balance And Help Feed Astronauts
www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ISHAMAGI
Wonder why this isn't being used right now.
Because they have to stop the leaks first.

After they do that it probably will be used at some point.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
why aren't they using liquid nitrogen to cool it off? Is water really the best solution here? Of all the things we have to cool things to keep things hot/cold is simple water the best answer?

Seems to me that having the zeolite and other radiation absorbing stuff at least around the site could be useful now.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
why aren't they using liquid nitrogen to cool it off? Is water really the best solution here? Of all the things we have to cool things to keep things hot/cold is simple water the best answer?
Liquid nitrogen is bad...it can make cracks.

Yes water is about the best, though they have added some boron to the water to absorb some of the radiation, but as I said, they need to stop the leaks, because otherwise, the boron just gets washed away through the leaks.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ISHAMAGI

This is the real conspiracy I fear, one that has taken this situation far beyond the ability to correct anytime soon without extreme measures being taken in order to put the necessary professionals in command of not only Fukishima but all of the sites which are either falling apart or in need of serious repair to keep from falling apart.

In the meantime it is full steam ahead on new facilities and plans for new facilities to be built. It is sickening to say the least that the people most responsible for our planet are the weakest when it comes to its protection.

The money has obviously already been spent on plans, so rather than go down through disclosure of those facts they would rather initiate a global suicide pact and keep silent.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Yes Fukushima has gotten to the point of ridiculousness really it should have been entombed far before now. how ever I can't really make a judgement on why they are not using this substance, maybe there is simply too much radiation for the zeolite to effectively absorb, and it would then become radioactive and not really deal with the problem.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
They already use zeolite, was reported several times, this is from a quick google search 16th of april. Below describes dumping zeolite in the ocean but I remember they threw it into other places at the facility as well. I guess they didn't dump zeolite all around the facility and entomb the place because they want to save as much as possible.

TEPCO said Saturday they have started dumping a mineral into the sea that absorbs radioactive substances with the goal of slowing down the contamination of the ocean.

TEPCO said it had begun dropping zeolite weighed down with sandbags near a water outlet from the Fukushima Daiichi plant.

The mineral is used in industrial applications which include nuclear waste processing.

Officials hope it will help to reduce the spread of radioactive materials from the plant into the Pacific ocean, though the effectiveness of the measure was not yet clear.

The mineral has been used in past nuclear accidents, including the 1979 Three Mile Island nuclear accident in the United States.

www.japannewstoday.com...

new topics

top topics

join