It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crews 'facing 100-year battle' at Fukushima

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Well this certainly doesn't sound so great.

A nuclear expert has warned that it might be 100 years before melting fuel rods can be safely removed from Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant.

The warning came as levels of radioactive iodine flushed into the sea near the plant spiked to a new high and the Wall Street Journal said it had obtained disaster response blueprints which said the plant's operators were woefully unprepared for the scale of the disaster.

One expert says the radiation leaks will be ongoing and it could take 50 to 100 years before the nuclear fuel rods have completely cooled and been removed.

"As the water leaks out, you keep on pouring water in, so this leak will go on for ever," said Dr John Price, a former member of the Safety Policy Unit at the UK's National Nuclear Corporation.

Source

So this thing could leak radioactive material for 100 years.

At the moment levels of radioactive iodine-131 in the Pacific off the plant have been recorded at a new high of 4,385 times the legal limit.

What will this mean for the rest of the pacific if this keeps leaking for even 50 more years?

What could this do to our food supply?

Radioavtive milk found on West Coast

Levels are low, but they're already finding radiation from this disaster affecting our food. Wonder how this changes over the course of a few years?

edit on 31-3-2011 by PhotonEffect because: (add new link)

edit on 31-3-2011 by PhotonEffect because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Has anyone considered dropping a nuclear bomb on this site?

Sorry is it too soon?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

100 years! Wow, that's a long time... If I have to see this on the news for the rest of my life i will...I don't know but it's gonna be annoying... That's just to remove the melting fuel rods can be safely removed.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

topdocumentaryfilms.com... Watch this and get back to us. This will scare you when you think of how bad Japan has been dragging this out. The Russians did better and now we have not one but four reactors melting down, If they hit water you will see from the U.S. the largest explosion man has ever witnessed.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
You know, TPTB may have just wiped out an entire race of people...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xShadow13

Look at the rods from 3 mile island after ten hours with half tank of water. There are no rods left, they are molten uranium at the bottom of the containment buildings.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Thanks for the link. Ill have a watch.

I just added another link to the OP where radioactive milk has been found in Wash State. Now the levels are very low, however they've already detected it only a few weeks after this leak began.

If this were to drag out for 100 years, how much higher are those levels going to be?

And thats just the milk,.... what about our seafood??

I love seafood

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Just accept things for how they are...safe.... nothing harmful..... EPA approved....
Don't get angry and irrational, smile and talk about nice things. Anyone up for a swim in the Pacific?

When people start growing tumors and 2nd heads, the gov't will feign responsibility and blame the mutations on us for being so selfish to the Earth, and nature is punishing us all.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
Has anyone considered dropping a nuclear bomb on this site?

Sorry is it too soon?

Seriously? That would be the dumbest thing you could do. You would create a super bomb that is worse than anything for spreading radiation.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

True, but still i really don't want to see this on the news for the rest of my life...
But were the 3 mile island rods made like the Japanese rods?

Click Me I do Nothing!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhotonEffect

Thanks for the link. Ill have a watch.

I just added another link to the OP where radioactive milk has been found in Wash State. Now the levels are very low, however they've already detected it only a few weeks after this leak began.

If this were to drag out for 100 years, how much higher are those levels going to be?

And thats just the milk,.... what about our seafood??

I love seafood

Hey you might find three bodied shrimp soon
. They may be easier to catch when they glow in the dark aswell.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

It was a joke, you know the whole Hiroshima and Nagasaki thing.

I guess it is too soon!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xShadow13

Yep, the same rods and same type reactor. Japan knows they are screwed. They are just being quite about it because they dont want to scare the world. Meanwhile Russia and Ukraine is sh*zziting their pants.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

It was a joke, you know the whole Hiroshima and Nagasaki thing.

I guess it is too soon!

Ya I would say so but what the who if we cant have a laugh. It keeps us from getting depressed anyway.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Wow... wait how do you know they used the same rods? Never mind that...so will this be on the news for the next 50 years?
i just noticed that you just debunked this thread....sort of...

Click Me I do Nothing!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Think through the implications of this: we already have measurable radioactivity in the air, rainwater, milk here in the US - and that's after only weeks of the plume traveling over our heads and precipitating out in snow and rainwater . I'm not a rocket scientist but to me this means that in time our food supply and water supply will be radioactive to the point that it WILL endanger our health.
Can't stop it for 100 years!! This can't be happening!! At least I got to live almost 60 years on a planet that - comparatively speaking - was really less F###ed u#. Can't even imagine what it will be like for the children of Earth - radioactivity is their future.
I see and talk to all these people who are walking around without a clue as to what's going on - "well the TV (ABC) news said there was nothing to worry about". Am I alone here?? Isn't this the end of Earth as we know it??? Star and flag for the author of this thread.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

This will show you how bad it is, The building looks just like the one in Chernobyl but it has some roof left. Remember that Reactor 3 is a killer, a major dirty bomb MOX mix that will not be safe for the next couple thousand years.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by galacticgirl

As you've laid it out, is exactly what I'm concerned about.

So we still have no clue what sort of measurable effects that huge oil spill in the gulf will have and we can now add a nuclear meltdown that experts are saying won't stop for another 100 years

AND we're already seeing radioactivity in our air, water, and now food...

Put me in a rocket and launch me into space please

new topics

top topics

join