It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Codex Debunkus Maximus*

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I would like your help ATS in creating a reference thread designed for all alternative explanations for UFO's, with pictures/videos. The purpose of this, is to hopefully curb the amount of debunkable material. i.e. videos/pictures of supposed UFO's which are easily identifiable

I will begin with a few of the things that go through my mind when reviewing a UFO video/picture.

Chinese Lanterns

Paper lanterns come in various shapes and sizes, as well as various methods of construction. In their simplest form, they are simply a paper bag with a candle placed inside, although more complicated lanterns consist of a collapsible bamboo or metal frame of hoops covered with tough paper.

source

Meteor

A meteor is the visible path of a meteoroid that has entered the Earth's atmosphere. Meteors typically occur in the mesosphere, and most range in altitude from 75 km to 100 km.[5] Millions of meteors occur in the Earth's atmosphere every day. Most meteoroids that cause meteors are about the size of a pebble.

They become visible between about 40 and 75 miles (65 and 120 kilometers) above the Earth. They disintegrate at altitudes of 30 to 60 miles (50 to 95 kilometers). Meteors have roughly a fifty percent chance of a daylight (or near daylight) collision with the Earth as the Earth orbits in the direction of roughly west at noon.[clarification needed] Most meteors are, however, observed at night as low light conditions allow fainter meteors to be observed.

see also- "Fireball" meteor

A fireball is a brighter-than-usual meteor. The International Astronomical Union defines a fireball as "a meteor brighter than any of the planets"

source

The International Space Station

The International Space Station (ISS) is an internationally developed research facility that is being assembled in low Earth orbit.

The objective of the ISS, as defined by NASA, is to develop and test technologies for exploration spacecraft systems, develop techniques to maintain crew health and performance on missions beyond low Earth orbit, and gain operational experience that can be applied to exploration missions.[6]

source

Artificial Satellites

In the context of spaceflight, a satellite is an object which has been placed into orbit by human endeavour. Such objects are sometimes called artificial satellites to distinguish them from natural satellites such as the Moon.

source

This image shows ( to what degree of accuracy, I don't know) the artificial satellites which orbit earth.

RC Aircraft

A radio-controlled aircraft (often called RC aircraft or RC plane) is a model aircraft that is controlled remotely, typically with a hand-held transmitter and a receiver within the craft.

The receiver controls the corresponding servos that move the control surfaces based on the position of joysticks on the transmitter, which in turn affect the orientation of the plane.

source

Sirius

Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky. With a visual apparent magnitude of −1.46, it is almost twice as bright as Canopus, the next brightest star

source

Flying Tents

...Thats right...flying tents.....

Weather Balloons

A weather or sounding balloon is a balloon (specifically a type of high altitude balloon) which carries instruments aloft to send back information on atmospheric pressure, temperature, humidity and wind speed by means of a small, expendable measuring device called a radiosonde.

To obtain wind data, they can be tracked by radar, radio direction finding, or navigation systems (such as the satellite based Global Positioning System (GPS).

source

Please help me by adding to the content I have provided, As well as your own content.

Thank you

Oun Jahhryn.

edit on 31-3-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The Spikey Balloon, seen so many times here

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/157a4e8d3c4b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1a71ed79dfc1.jpeg[/atsimg]

Time lapse Aeroplane, again done to death

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/42bbf83f9261.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 31/3/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

Bugs....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aff3eceb5f9c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Jupiter

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
LED Kites

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/37b647c2ff3d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
thank you for the contribution thus far!

versa: Yes time lapsed and blurred photography is something to definitely look out for, it can make an ordinary object look like something completely different. Good work !

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The Golden Knights and other night jumpers with flairs

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ice

Ball Lightning Weather Phenomenon

Ball lightning is a proposed atmospheric electrical phenomenon of which little is known. The term refers to reports of luminous, usually spherical objects which vary from pea-sized to several metres in diameter. It is usually associated with thunderstorms, but lasts considerably longer than the split-second flash of a lightning bolt. Many of the early reports say that the ball eventually explodes, sometimes with fatal consequences, leaving behind the odor of sulfur. There are records of free-floating glowing balls that occur in total absence of thunderclouds. This occurs commonly in the valley of Hessdalen, Norway.[1] One recent theory suggests that these light balls (Hessdalen Lights) are produced by the ionization of air and dust by alpha particles during radon decay in the dusty atmosphere.[2]

source

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Birds.....

So many people post pics saying "I didnt see this UFO until I looked at the photograph....." Thats often because its a bird......

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/873ec381e60b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Informative Page about rare cloud formations
weird,rare clouds

On the following pages, we’ve gathered photos of some of the strangest, most beautiful cloud types and asked scientists to help us understand how they form.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
edit

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Lens Flares

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Minotaur Rockets

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Ah!!! this is why this is a great thread idea, I'd never even heard of a Minotaur Rocket

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Kids in balloons! (lol)

Here is another RC aircraft that fits the bill pretty good

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I couldnt find a good pic or video, but remember that takeoff and landing lights are VERY bright, and usually turn off once at a certain altitude, or landed.

Almost all modern aircraft are equipped with landing lights if they are intended and approved for nighttime operations. Landing lights are usually of very high intensity because of the considerable distance that may separate an aircraft from terrain or obstacles; the landing lights of large aircraft can easily be seen by other aircraft over 100 miles away.

source

observe carefully, once the takeoff lights are gone, you should see a blinking pattern.

The blinking pattern may change according to whats happening in and around the airplane. These are called navigation lights

A navigation light is a colored source of illumination on an aircraft, spacecraft, or waterborne vessel, used to signal a craft's position, heading, and status. Commonly, their placement is mandated by international conventions or civil authorities.

source

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Good thread. I've discovered that a great way to start being on the look-out for legitimate sightings is to first find out all the things that AREN"T ufo's...

I thoroughly enjoyed an Astronomy class i took last semester which helped in this area....I learned to identify celestial objects, the ISS and various satellites, among other things....

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toxicsurf
Good thread. I've discovered that a great way to start being on the look-out for legitimate sightings is to first find out all the things that AREN"T ufo's...

I thoroughly enjoyed an Astronomy class i took last semester which helped in this area....I learned to identify celestial objects, the ISS and various satellites, among other things....

Definitely a good start, I learned by experience, constantly viewing the skies, listening for sounds accompanied by conventional aircraft etc.

perhaps you'd like to lay down some knowledge in this thread?

especially the

among other things...
part

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
strangely illuminated contrails/chemtrails + contrail/chemtrail shadows.

This one is a contrail from a THAAD missle

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Solar Balloons

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

I find more asteroid [meteors] in the UFO section of Youtube than anywhere else. You never hear the MSM discuss them because in 2009 they were Classified if they come into the atomosphere. If the media says anything they say "strang lights" and giggle, or missiles. Missile testing missiles do not fall back to earth over any kind of populated area for sure. Between now and 2015, we are going to see a whole lot of them, even much more than lately.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join