It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's gravity revealed in unprecedented detail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Earth's gravity revealed in unprecedented detail

www.esa.int

After just two years in orbit, ESA's GOCE satellite has gathered enough data to map Earth's gravity with unrivalled precision. Scientists now have access to the most accurate model of the 'geoid' ever produced to further our understanding of how Earth works.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The Earth is round, flatened at the poles.... yeeeeaaaah, right.... from these new images, Earth looks more like a rotten fruit. I'm still having a hard time accepting that 100% and something tells me I am just not interpreting the image correctly. Would it be right to assume that the water levels are not present in that model and the absence of those water levels give them impression of a distorted Earth?

I mean, I can see the parts painted in blue and my brain is conditioned to interpret that as being water. But couldn't that just be a representation of the deep of the ocean, instead of its water levels?

www.esa.int
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31-3-2011 by henriquefd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Existing thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hundroid
Existing thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I searched the headline and couldn't find it. I guess my search wouldn't bring the words "potato shape" as a result. lol

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

It's not the actual shape of the Earth, it's a digital representation of gravitational forces of the Earth. The "bumps" on the surface (in red, some yellow) are just spots where the gravitational force is stronger. That's what I got from it at least.
Peace!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

The geoid is the surface of an ideal global ocean in the absence of tides and currents, shaped only by gravity.

As the above states, it is simply giving an elevation magnitude to the gravitational potential of the earth, which is why two points that may have a different elevation, one lower one higher, may be represented in the reverse
order due to the stronger gravitational potential at the lower point.

hope this helps

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Does ANYONE know what gravity really is? Nope!

Is it the effect of warped space/time and not actually a force? Or a 5D through 11D extradimensional force that manifests itself on our space time continum as a 4D warp of space time? (String Theory). Or a field/force that is mediated by the spin of a quantum particle called a Graviton? (Quantum Mechanics).

Or as a laymen would contend, is it caused by the weight of the atmosphere?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

And you can't have some gravitons without a big steaming bowl of graviolies! The vid on this topic was pretty cool though!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I had to bookmark that for future staring at.Thanks!
The gravity picture is indeed far more varied about the earths surface than id had imagined it ever could be.....
Though there is knowledge of lesser and greater gravity areas about earths surface, this is really revealing when one thinks of the expanding earth theory (IT is very slowly)leaving us beginning to imagine that some how new matter is being created out of ?? in the earths core.
The deep gravity well that ends in a black spot i believe will be a giveaway as to what is occuring here....That is the area of greates contrast, and the deepest part of the ocean i think.
The irregular shape of the whole globe tends to leave one with a Worlds in collision type moment when watching this oddball of mud rotate .The variations in gravity would be sufficient to factor into theearthquake causatives i should imagine...
Great find!

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
So tell me this-
Do folks who live in areas where the gravity is higher develop more muscle mass to compensate?
This I would expect,but does it happen?
Or does it make no difference?

top topics

join